Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 ICS Could Spell Trouble for Galaxy Note 2

Yesterday, Samsung announced the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, a new tablet that comes with a quad-core processor and an S-Pen stylus, the same stylus that is used in conjunction with the Samsung Galaxy Note phablet. However, instead of putting Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on board as the stock software, Samsung outfitted it with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, something it may end up doing with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

On August 29th, Samsung will be announcing the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. We’ve already seen hints that the device might be running an outdated version of Android when it arrives but yesterday’s announcement was the biggest hint yet.

The Samsung Galaxy Note phablet is a tricky device to begin with. It sports a large screen, it features multiple screen inputs. These very likely make it more difficult to upgrade than a regular device. We saw that with the late Android 4.0 upgrade with the AT&T Galaxy Note.

Read: What I Want From The Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10.1-3-575x382

ICS on the Galaxy Note 10.1 spells trouble for the Galaxy Note 2.

In fact, the ICS update to the international devices came a little later than expected as well.

Another tricky part about the Galaxy Note is that, unlike the Galaxy Note 10.1, unless it’s unlocked, it’s attached to a carrier. Wi-Fi devices almost always get their major updates before devices that are found on carriers.

What I am saying is that the Galaxy Note 10.1 is a Wi-Fi only device and it’s not running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. That does not bode well for the Galaxy Note 2 and stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean because the software will likely pass through carrier hands at some point for testing, testing that I imagine would take longer than oh, just over a month.

So, if the Galaxy Note 10.1 is any indication, Samsung will likely launch the Galaxy Note 2 with Ice Cream Sandwich and then promise an update to Jelly Bean for the device sometime later this year. It did the same thing with the Note 10.1.

This way, it can launch before the iPhone 5.

Now, that wouldn’t be a problem if Android 4.1 Jelly Bean was terrible (it’s not) or if American carriers were a part of the initial upgrade process. (They aren’t.)

Instead, Galaxy Note 2 owners might be propelled into the madness that is the major Android update process and they might be given a phone that is running an inferior version of software.

For some, that won’t be a problem. But for others, especially those who have owned an Android phone and have gone through the ridiculous process before, it might be worth it to skip the annoyance of having old Android software and wait for the new Nexus smartphone which I assume will be out this winter.

Read: 5 Thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

So it’s my hope that Samsung decided to outfit this stellar device with the latest software (that is already out on devices mind you, unlike when it launched last year before ICS) but at this point, I’m expecting Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 to arrive with the Galaxy Note 2 on August 29th.

Is that a deal breaker, at least at launch, for anyone else?

Comments

1. Samantha says

Honestly… whether or not it’s a deal breaker depends on carrier and price point. If it comes out for Verizon I’m gonna want it no matter what flavor it’s running. I’ve seen the Note on AT&T and really like the interface with the S Pen. I wish my tablet worked that well! But I refuse to move to AT&T for any phone. If Verizon gets it, and it’s even close to being rootable.. I’ll get one. It can always be tweaked in the after-market if needed. :P

2. Andy says

Considering the image clearly displays NOKIA on the bezel I highly doubt its the Galaxy Note 2’s front panel …… oh Adam Mills come on mate

• Jed says

Lol, yea for some reason (Nokia branding) ill have to agree that is not the correct photo..lol.

3. Aminv says

Once again Adam, you missed the whole point of the device you’re writing about. People who prefer galaxy note, it’s because of the large display combined with the precise pen. (Hint: the name of the device is “note”!)

Yet, you propose waiting for the next nexus! Which is completely different in terms of features and functionality.

You call ICS outdated. More phones are running gingerbread than they run, say, iOS, Yet the level of satisfaction is so high that we see Android market share is growing to more than 65%! So when we talk android, seems even the “outdated” versions surpass the quality and the customer satisfaction of other competing platforms.

And that wrong photo! Gottabemobile needs some kind of sanity check and quality control for the articles posted here…

4. i2smart says

Come on..whatsup with the phone photo with the Nokia name on it? You think readers are so stupid? Your entire artticle becomes worthless by producing that fake photo, lets put it that way.

PS It’s not that I not a fan of Nokia, in fact, Nokia has produced some elegant phones that no one can compete.

5. this guy says

Jelly bean or not, the note 2 will be far superior to what the media is.claiming to be its rivsl , the iPhone 5.

IPhone 5?
    Sorry after using the original note the iPhone feels like a micro machine. Not to mention the upgradable memory issue that apple doesn’t ever seen to address. Hey bro, lemme show you this sweet flash video on your iPhone.. oops I forgot. Its cool, we can just use my note 2!

Bam! Apple lovers bam!!

• this guy says

Sorry guys, rushed through the post.. spellings a bit sketchy.. almost litterally a sketchosaurus Rex.

6. RKR says

Not a deal breaker for me

Newest OS would be nice. But ICS on my SG Note works well. I would be interested in a larger screen with hopefully even higher resolution. The weight of my Note is very light. Keeping the Note 2 as light or even lighter would be a deal maker. Some people when they see the note say its so big. But when I hand it to them they say its so light.

7. Josh says

Without the ability to use flash, which is never going to be supported on Jelly Bean, I’d rather have ICS while youtube and any other place upgrades to html5. It would be disappointing to wait for the new Note to find out that it’s useless for me.