How to Fix Passbook Error in iOS 6

Earlier today, we told you that many people were having trouble accessing Passbook compatible apps, a section of one of the new features of the  iOS 6, the operating system that Apple released today. It now appears as though there is a simple fix that will allow users to access the App Store and thus, some of the apps that are compatible with Passbook.

Several readers have chimed in with a fix for the Cannot Connect Error that many have been seeing when trying to access the App Store through the Passbook app.

I counted myself as one of them until I used this fix.

Read: How to Use PassBook in iOS 6.

passb

After using the fix, I am now able to access the App Store through Passbook.

It’s extremely simple and it will take only a few minutes of your time. And afterward, you’ll be able to download some of the apps that are compatible with Apple’s new service.

1. First, head to the Settings in your iPhone.

2. Click on General.

3. Next, head to Date and Time which is down the list.

4. Once you’re in there, you’ll want to change Set Automatically to Off.

5. Go to Set Date & Time.

6. Click on Today’s Date. Once you do that, you’ll be given the option to change the date.

7. Move the year one year forward to 2013.

8. This will prevent the error from happening. If you wish to change the date back to the real date, simply set Set Automatically to On and everything will return to normal.

9. Head into Passbook and marvel at the apps.

This fixed the problem for me, at least for now, and I’m now able to access a range of Passbook compatible applications including Fandango, United Airlines and Live Nation.

passbook_overview

Passbook, for those unfamiliar, is a new feature in iOS 6 that allows users to use their iPhone much like a mobile wallet. The feature is not available on the iPad.

Companies will begin to add passes for Passbook and once they do, users will be able to store things like airline tickets and movie passes which can pop up an alert in the Notification Center. Passes in Pasbook also include the option to automatically alert users when it’s time to use them.

Passbook passes are currently not active but users can create their own over at PassSource. This site is not affiliated with Apple in any way so be cautious.

For those that can’t wait, this is certainly a viable option.

iOS 6 is Apple’s new operating system and it comes with over 200 new features for iDevice users. It’s available to iPhone 3GS owners and up, iPad 2 owners and up, and iPod touch fourth generation owners.

Thanks, Paul!

Comments

• Liz says

I’ve tried this fix about 20 times on my I-phone 4. It just isnt working. I also called Apple support last night and after 1.5 hours trying to get a fix. They opened a repair ticket and told me they would get back to me. Still havent heard back.

1. Kyle Martin says

If you change the date back right away it doesn’t work, I noticed that you must change the date, download some apps for your passbook and then change it back for it to function correctly.

2. Cloudpunch says

I think people may be changing the settings as the author instructs and then changing back to auto BEFORE going into Passbook to access the store. Change the year, enter Passbook and the store, THEN go back and reset Date and Time back to auto.

3. Monique says

Are they suppose to appear on separate apps or in passbook once you can download them? Hope that makes sense.

4. bridget says

i have the Iphone 4s and it worked for me but that sucks that we cant have the real date on our phones if we want to use Passbook. Hopefully apple will fix this error and we can use it the way it was meant to be used.

5. Jim says

I changed the year to 2013, reviewed the app, and then changed the year back to auto (2012) and the app still works.(4s)

6. M says

It worked on my 4S…
    There is only the Lufthansa app available at the moment though, at least in the UK.

7. KKB says

I tried a couple of ways but I’m still getting the error on my 4S.

I tried changing the year to 2013, entered passbook, clicked on App Store button, got the error.

I changed my year back 2012, quit everything in multitask, changed the year to 2013, entered passbook, still getting the error.

I hope apple releases an official fix soon. This is frustrating!

• Ann says

Same here. Tried quitting all in multitask and powering down and then following the instructions again and still not working. Argh

8. Michelle Loan says

How do you get the apps into the Passbook app? Changing the date did fix the problem & it showed all the apps that can be used in Passbook but it doesn’t show how to transfer them. Also after I was able to connect to the App store I changed the date back to “set automatically” & still no “error message”, so thank you very much for the fix:) Maybe none of it will work “officially” until tomorrow? Thanks again…..

9. Pascal says

Just used the United Airlines app to get my boarding pass and saw an [Add to Passbook] button right underneath the boarding group. when you tap it, the boarding pass is added to Passbook. I’ll wait for the actual boarding to see if my boarding pass shows up on the lock screen when need to board, later today…

10. Brandon says

Thanks for the help. I was starting to wonder if I would be able to use my passbook or not. I also find it interesting that the fix you posted does not work for some. Thumbs up from me!

11. rave says

its not a solution, i will wait for apple’s fix. and its not working with most of the phone.

12. Chris A says

Totally worked for my iPhone 4. You’re a genius! Can’t wait to use this on my next Lufthansa flight… oh and at Sephora…

13. Cindy says

Didn’t work on my 4, my passbook screen is locked on the Walgreens card,,, dint know what to do

14. Cindy says

How do you get to the main menu in PassBook, each time I enter the app it goes straight to my Walgreens card, with no visible way to exit

15. Sok says

I had the same error with the date change. However, I accidentally changed it to 2015 and accessed passport then it worked. Afterwards I set time back to auto and all was working fine.

16. Cindy says

Don’t know how anyone else feels, but nothing with this IOS6 update has benefited my IPhone 4, seems to me my phone is having a slower harder time working.

• John smith says

Completely agree
      Only thing that worked and that is actually helpful was the redesign of settings

17. John O'Brien says

on my 4s, going back to 2013 didn’t work. tried multiple ways (stopping app from multitask list, etc) – but then changed back to 2015 and it worked… finally.

18. Missy says

How do we get apps to appear in passbook? I have Fandango and Walgreens apps downloaded but no way to get them into passbook and they aren’t automatically showing up.

19. brett says

i have the iphone 4. i tried that date change and it allowed me to connect but now the passbook app is on home screen, if i click the passbook app it opens and says on the bottom click for the app store. it seems as if i cant get any passbooks added intot he app. i have the united app and walgreens app but they are separate apps not linking up to the passbook app….i am not sure how to fix this and why this has made my phone have more problems than before.

20. Andrew says

It simply makes no sense that they put out a passbook app – that doesn’t have any actual use at this time. I have tickets with TicketMaster – they didn’t show up in Passbook.

I did the update as noted here and it’s still useless – I would have expected more from Apple.

21. Paul says

It’s ridiculous. By changing the date in your phone to access Passbook, by default you then mess up the functionality of Passbook. One of it’s main features is to notify you of a pending ticket. If the date is set one year off into the future then that would never work. Like the new maps app. Epic FAIL…

22. Candi Hayes says

The fix doesn’t work for me either. I’ve tried it several times. Do I need to delete Apps like Fandango and Delta and reload them? It is so frustrating! Thank you for your help.

23. saschiesmum says

absolutely did NOT work.. and I tried this 12 times before I gave up and called apple.. whom I am still on hold to speak to someone.. hell I even set the day up that it was 3 years 6 months in the future and it still did NOT work not just the 1 year that you were suggesting

24. Mark Komrad M.D. says

Tried all combinations of the fix ideas in this thread. Nothing worked on my 4S

25. Desi says

It didn’t work for me at first so I toggled back and fourth between changing the date ahead and passbook and changing the date to automatic and passbook, finally the last time while date and time was on automatic it got rid of the “cannot connect” error. Now here’s the new issue, it’s stuck on “loading” it looks like its trying to do something but not. Any ideas?

26. suboh says

This didn’t work for my iPhone 5. However, rather than give me a “Cannot connect…” error, it just loads the App Store indefinitely.

27. Bradley says

I thinks it’s safe to say that iOS 6 sucks.. No YouTube app.. Maps aren’t accurate with town placement and names.. Passbook is a fail..

28. Jim says

I’ve tried the suggested fix(s) multiple time too… Still get the error. Also, has anyone else seen the same error when they try the App Store app? I get the “cannot connect to iTunes Store” message, but if I click any of the bottom tabs it connects. Passbook is useless so far!

• RC says

As crazy as this sounds, change the date to 2024. I have an iPhone 5 and the 2013 didn’t work. I changed it to 2024 and it works fine. DON”T FORGET to change the date back and go back and turn on your iMessage and Facetime; changing the date turns off both of these. Good luck!

29. Rich says

I have a 3gs and I tried setting the date forward a year but it didn’t work. However when I set the date back one year it allowed me to connect to the App Store. I was able to start (waiting) the downloads I needed, but had to go back in and change the year back for the download to finish.

30. Marty says

It doesn’t work for me. I went to apple store today and ask the people who works there. They have no idea this is happening . I ask them why passbook works properly on the new iphone 5 and not my 4s and many others? Finally,one of them came back with a lame exuse. He told me that I just have to wait. Note: iMessage turns of after you changed the date. Be sure go back to message setting and turn your iMessage back on.