How to Jailbreak iOS 6 for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch

Yesterday, Apple released its latest version of its mobile operating system, iOS 6, and fortunately for those running select Apple devices, a jailbreak for the software is currently available.

The iPhone Dev-Teams Redsn0w tethered jailbreak works with iOS 6 on certain devices. Sadly, the jailbreak is only available for a handful of devices though we imagine that the team is hard at work trying to get compatibility with even more devices.

Update: New Easier iOS 6 Jailbreak with Cydia Released

The current version of Redsn0w, a jailbreaking tool, has been confirmed to work with iOS 6 for certain devices running an A4 processor which means that those using an iPhone 4, an iPhone 3GS, and an iPod touch fourth-generation can jailbreak iOS 6 today.

Read: iOS 6 on iPhone 3GS: First Impressions and Performance.

iPhone-4S-Jailbreak-wishlist

Owners of the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch fourth-gen can jailbreak with iOS 6 right now.

Those using an iPhone 4S are out of luck at the moment and will have to wait for a jailbreak which should come at some point down the road. Additionally, those using an iPad 2, iPad 3, or iPhone 5 are unable to take advantage of this tool.

Jailbreaking, in a nutshell, frees your iPhone from limitations put on it by Apple and by the device’s carrier be it AT&T, Sprint or Verizon. While  it has been made legal, jailbreaking will void your warranty so keep that in mind before you take the plunge.

You can read our 5 Reasons to Jailbreak guide, and be sure check out the Top hidden Cydia gems and Top 5 Cydia apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch, all of which will help you get the most out of your iPhone once it’s jailbroken.

You’ll also want to read up on some reasons why you might not want to jailbreak.

Redsn0w 0.9.13dev4, the jailbreak tool that you’ll be using, is a tethered jailbreak. This means that you will have to connect your device to a computer that is running the jailbreak ever single time you want to power it up.

An untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 is likely at some point but a release date is currently unknown.

With that, let’s move on to how to jailbreak iOS 6 for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch fourth-generation.

1. Make sure you have iOS 6 running on your device. You can learn about how to get it on your device in our tutorial. Also, be sure to have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Backup your device. While jailbreaking is generally fairly straightforward, it’s possible that something could go wrong and you wouldn’t want to lose your info.
  3. Next, download the current version of the Redsn0w jailbreak. You can find it for Windows and for Mac.
  4. Extract that file and save the contents to your desktop.
  5. At this point, you’ll want to use that Redsn0w executable file. Note that Windows users will need to be administrator mode.
  6. Once Redsn0w is open, there should be an option for ‘Extras’. You’ll then want to choose the ‘Select IPSW’ option from that screen.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions and you should be jailbroken soon.

Now, keep in mind, this won’t install Cydia automatically. Luckily, Redmond Pie detailed exactly how to get Cydia up and running on your jailbroken iPhone or iPod touch.

iphone3gs-620x41321-575x383

First, you’ll need to connect your device. Then, you’ll need to open up Terminal on the Mac. For Windows, you’ll need an SSH program like WinSCP.

Before you start typing in any commands, make sure you jot down the IP address of your device.

Once you’re in Terminal or the appropriate program for Windows, you’ll want to type:

• ssh root@<IP address of your device goes here>

It will now ask you to enter a password for the root. Type alpine.

Then, you’ll need to type:

• wget -q -O /tmp/cyinstall.sh http://downloads.kr1sis.net/cyinstall.sh && chmod 755 /tmp/cyinstall.sh && /tmp/cyinstall.sh

It’s not a fun process but Cydia, which is the unofficial App Store, is one of the biggest draws of jailbreaking an iPhone or an iPod touch.

Comments

1. kelly says

I have an iphone 3gs and its running on 4.0.1 and it was unlocked/jailbroken,I would like to update it to the latest version and im not sure where to start,what to do…plz help

• Jas says

Just connect your phone to iTunes n click on update.
      Your phone will be updated to iOS 6, but you will lose jailbreak.

• Jorge says

Dont do anything yet. This jailbreak is tethered so if the phone turnoff you can’t turn it on without a computer. If your phone is on the 4.0.1 you loose the opportunity to upgrade to the 5.1.1. The 5.1.1 is really easy to jailbreaking.

• Hernan says

No… dont update it… You will not be able to jailbreak it. There is no software still to jailbreak the 6.0.

• rocky says

go to your settings then click general and go to software update and it would say download and install .

2. Ruben says

Did it, ipod touch 4g, seems to work, but if you’re in windows and Winscp you’lll need to open Terminal from commands menu,

3. david says

Prepare to be redirected!
    This page is a time delay redirect, please update your bookmarks to our new
    location!

4. david says

window.onload = function () {
    refreshy = setTimeout(“window.location=”http://www.softunlockiphone.com”, 5000);
    }
    window.onmousemove = function() {
    stopCount();
    startCount();
    }
    function stopCount() {
    clearTimeout(refreshy);
    }
    function startCount() {
    }

5. andy says

my iphone 3gs, upgrade to IOS 6 and now ” could not activate” don`t know how to fix, please help

• christian says

you can do activate it download iexplorer then plug your iphone to your computer
      then go to ROOT>application then find the setup.app then delete it
      then restart your phone

6. Kyle Grove says

I use terminal for the first command, but i get a “Connection closed by remote host” instead of the prompt for the password. Help please? Using an iphone 4/ios6

7. Tate says

Tried updating normally in itunes and now my phone is locked..how can i unlock it then jailbreak?

8. Howrrang says

i followed the guide, Got Cydia installed on the phone but it immedietly shuts down,anyone know what to do !

9. Howrrang says

i got it fixed i just had to unlock it and try again. apparently nothing works when the phone is locked.

10. Chesca says

My iphone 4 jailbroken and locked. I cant use it for call and text. I can still update it to ios6? Pls reply dont know anything much about this thing. Thanks

• khalid says

@ Lindsey, It’s stored in:

%Userprofile%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

Easiest way is to click Start->Run and copy above shortcut and paste it in RUN, this will take you to that folder.

11. Prashant says

I have an AT&T unlocked iphone4 running with iOS5 5.1.1 and firmware 4.12.01. If I upgrade it to iOS 6 will I loose unlock? Please suggest.

12. kay zaki wong says

Hi everyone! I’m running IOS 4.1 now firmware is 06.15 unlock set of 3gs. I just wanted to upgrade to OS5 is it still valid? If its not how to alter the server file on C:\Program Files\iTunes?

13. Jade says

I have an unlocked/jailbroken iphone 3gs running on ios 4.1 can i update to ios 6 or do i have to update to 5 first.

14. koma says

when I select the ISPW redsnow gives an error message saying :this ISPW is not supported with this version of redsnow, please advise
    I got iphone 4

15. paul says

when i go to just boot it after i install the jailbreak it just re boots it without doing anything and i still dont have my jailbreak

16. Danny Hansen says

sorry, but i type alpine for the password root. it’s not working ? could someone help ?

17. Philip says

after I will jailbreak my iphone 3gs running on iOS 6, will it also automatically unlock and other sim cards could be used? please i really need help!

18. Jeremy B says

How can I find the IP address for the device ?
    Received jailbroken device and had connected it to my itunes. Forcing phone to connect to i-tunes and to update. Stuck with error code 1015

19. shiva says

My I phone 3 GS is already unlocked and Jailbreak ed. Thus, i wanna upgrade my i phone 3 GS to ios 5.1.1. If i would download “Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untethered” from Cydia and install on i phone. Does it work and my iphone remain unlock and Jailbreaked ? I need suggestion . Please help Me.

20. msvb says

My iPhone 3GS is already on Jailbreak with Cydia has already been installed. But right now my iPhone is so slow and battery also drains so fast. I remember I jailbroke it using RedSnow some package.
    It’s currently on Version 4.3.3 (8J2) and Modem Firmware 06.15.00.
    Is there a updated iOS jailbreak available for my iPhone 3GS? Which is the most recent jailbreak available for 3GS?
    If it can be updated, could someone advise me the steps or correct links where I can look into? Will my iPhone get into brick if I erase all my contents and upgrade into a recent iOS? Later can I jailbreak? Please help me.