iPhone 5 Jailbreak: Wait to Update to iOS 6.0.1

Today, Apple released iOS 6.0.1, it first update for its latest mobile operating system iOS 6 and in doing so, the company apparently patched up security holes used by hackers developing jailbreaks for the devices like the iPhone 5. That being said, until otherwise stated, it’s best that iPhone 5 owners, and those with devices already jailbroken on iOS 6, to wait before updating to iOS 6.0.1

iPhone 5 owners who are waiting to jailbreak their device should hold off on updating to the latest iOS 6.0.1 software as hacker PlanetBeing reports (a tweet that has since been deleted for unknown reasons) that some of the exploits that were discussed at the HITB conference have been patched up by Apple in the latest update which could translate to a lengthy wait if that’s indeed the case.

Screen Shot 2012-11-01 at 4.53.53 PMA jailbreak for iOS 6 will likely come faster than one for iOS 6.0.1 if the reports of security exploits being patched up are true. So, those who own an iPhone 5 would be wise to hold off on updating until it’s deemed to be safe by one of the leaders of the jailbreak community. At this point, the status is unclear.

In the past, leaders of the jailbreak community have cautioned users to hold off on updating to the latest iOS update and while there still isn’t any word, it’s smart to assume the same for the iOS 6.0.1 update.

Read: How to Jailbreak iOS 6 for iPhone 4 & iPod Touch With Cydia.

Something else to keep in mind is that there is no harm in waiting, especially if the bugs fixed by iOS 6.0.1 aren’t a big deal. iPhone 5 owners can always upgrade at a later date but once the new update is installed, there is no way to downgrade which would mean that an iOS 6 jailbreak for the iPhone 5, should it arrive, would be unobtainable.

Thus far, progress on a jailbreak for an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 iOS 6  jailbreak has been looking up, but there is still no way to jailbreak either device if it’s running Apple’s latest operating system.

It could be that a future iOS 6 jailbreak tool released by the Dev-Team could feature jailbreak access for both the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 though that remains unconfirmed. The development community often releases tools that can jailbreak a number of devices at once. For example, the current iOS 6 jailbreak which can jailbreak the iPhone 4, iPod Touch and iPhone 3GS.

Almost needless to say, owners of those devices will not want to update to iOS 6.0.1 right now either if they wish to jailbreak.

So, for the time being, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 owners looking to jailbreak should stay away from iOS 6.0.1 until told otherwise. We’ll let you know when we hear something new in regards to iOS 6.0.1 and the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 jailbreak.

Comments

1. Tiger9210 says

Come on guys please we want jailbreak for iPhone 4s iOS 6 with out jb my iPhone is trash is like using an old school phone lol.

2. Bradley Jordan says

I totally agree, the 5 is a nice phone, but as with ALL iPhones, they are boring as hell when not jail broken. All of the uninformed, scared, non jail breakers out there in the world will never know what they are missing. They are unknowingly content with what Apple deems they should have. I’m not one for settling for what someone else thinks is “good enough” for me. Only I will determine that for myself. I enjoy having options and with that, having the freedom to exercise those options. I hope that the jailbreak is within sight because I’m becoming increasingly frustrated and it’s getting harder and harder for me to “shut up and color” as Apple would have it.

3. Reese says

Non jb iph5 boring af…the 1st app ima download on cydia (whenever that’ll be) is iswipe I hate Apple keyboards

4. iphone jailbreak says

Aboutunlockiphone provides unlocking solutions and software like jailbreak iphoneto stay ahead from the limitations set down. It also provides straight forward installation, lifetime support and updates to keep everything into your iphone.

5. Sarah Morgan says

Its a major update for the Apple iOS and this will definitely affects the customers and users minds. The bugs have been fixed which are really need of the time when people using iOS 5. Thanks for updating.

6. Nasrat says

Hey buddies, so what shall we do now? Have JB or wait to inform. Currently I’m with iSO 6 with 4s…..????

7. Bradley Jordan says

I’m holding out on updating from 6.0 because I have faith in those much smarter than me. Someone out there knows how shitty a stock iPhone is and is working relentlessly on fixing that for the rest of us. This I’m certain of.

8. Hamza says

hey guys can anyone tell me whats jailbreak. i just got an iphone 5 and heard alot about jailbreak but i have no idea what it is.

• Lenin-McCarthy says

Jailbreaking removes restrictions and limitations that Apple imposes on their devices. Hence the term out of it’s “Apple jail”.

• Lenin-McCarthy says

With a jailbroken device you can do a lot of things such as fix annoyances such as hiding the newstand app and the “X” on jiggle mode. You can add a column and have five instead of four. You can also adjust the size of icons. If you have an iPod touch it can be concerted to a mobile phone with an Apple peel. you can also unlock your phone and use other carriers, however this is becoming more difficult. Jailbroken iphones are much better. Unjailbroken phones are boring as hell.

9. Mike says

Iphone 5 without jailbreaking is tooooooooooo booooooooring!!! Hope everyone understand! So realease iphone 5 6.0.1 untethered jailbreak ASAP. PLEASE…..

10. Gangster says

Pod 2g how come u not talking about the iPhone 5 jailbreak on your iDownloadBlog come on let is know something

11. reese says

iphone 5 is my 1st iphone but i have all other Apple devices i love my iDevices…but man the iphone is so dam boring OMG all them dam apps and NOTHING…jailbreak quick fast…this will more likely be my last iphone 5 tooooo dam boooring for me…i miss android…ishoulda got a SIII

12. Dan says

S4 is coming out next year. Forget the iPhone as it cannot compete with the new galaxy without a jb.

13. Dj-Shabz says

It is sooooo funny when randomers put comments like what is jailbreak expecting someone to go through the whole definition….if they can get this far why cant they just search for what jailbreak is.
    And still somewhere along the comments someone asks about should I upgrade to 6.0.1….. the whole passage at start recommends not to but some noobs still ask the question.,….
    Yes I agree – iphone 5 (and older models) are kinda useless and boring without jailbreaking and the numerous tweaks out there.
    Not bothering to upgrade to iphone 5 until a jailbreak is confirmed, for now my jbroken iphone 4 is working well enough even if I am missing out on Siri!!!!

14. Harry says

Come on jailbreak community/hackers please jailbreak the iphone 5 soon as i dont enjoy using unjailbroken iphones, and i aint paying jack for the apps after paying 600 pounds for the darn device. Best of luck and kudos to the jailbreak hackers on the time and effort they are putting in to get this show on the road.

• $3 on the donkey says

my top 5 favorite things about jailbreak:
      1. Sbsettings
      2.emulators
      3.tweaks
      4.callbar
      5.themes!!!

15. dencio says

i’ve got an iphone 5 and waiting for jailbreak, without jailbreak my iphone 5 is like just another phone with an mp3 player it sucks!

16. Ryan says

I have some serious questions about jailbreaking my iphone 5. Can anyone tell me, if I successfully jailbreak it:

1) Are there increased security risks?
    2) Does Facetime over 3G still work?
    3) Can you still sync everything through iTunes
    4) Can you still update applications OTA?
    5) Can you still update your iOS operating system
    6) Will it still connect to LTE just fine?
    7) Will lock screen notifications still work?
    8) Does it harm the battery life?
    9) Do you have to reboot your phone while tethered to your computer, in order for Cydia to restart? (I heard this was true)
    10) Is there a version of the Swype keyboard that works for it?
    11) Is there a way to go back if you don’t like it?
    12) Is there a way to make folders where you can put more than 16 apps per folder?
    13) Will iMessage still work?
    14) Will all songs, videos, text messages, photos, contacts, calendars, etc., be unharmed?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide! I greatly appreciate it!

• reese says

1) yes. but can be avoided 2) yes 3) yes. and you can still use app store 4) Yes 5) yes. but more than likely will affect your jailbreak, as that jailbreak is for that specific iOS version 6) yes 7) yes 8) no. but some apps may be battery hogs (just the same w/ non-jailbreak iphone) 9) uncertain 10) yes. iSwipe (1 of my main reasons for jailbreak, former android user) 11) yes. connect iphone to itunes and restore. there may be another way to do it but this is the only 1 im aware of 12) yes. iforgot the name of the app but its in Cydia…google research 13) yes 14) they will remain unharmed…but make sure you back everything to cloud service. Your welcome!

17. Lenin-McCarthy says

One thing that really sucks about the iPhone 5 is the new dock and port. If you have a port in every room and in your car, they must be changed because they are NFG for iPhone 5.You cannot get attachment devices for them either on special apps such as blood sugar tester and a realtor tool to gain access to a property.