The iPhone Dev Team was swift in releasing the first iOS 6.0.1 jailbreak for the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch.
Just a day after Apple announced iOS 6.0.1, there is a tool to jailbreak iOS 6.0.1 on a number of older devices. This is still a tethered iOS 6.0 jailbreak, so not every user will want to jump on the jailbreak process.
While iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S owners wait for an iOS 6 jailbreak, and should hold off on updating to iOS 6.0.1 to be safe, owners of select devices can jailbreak today.
The process is very similar to the iOS 6 jailbreak for the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4th generation, so previous users don’t need to worry much about the process changing.
Before starting, it’s worth reading 5 reasons to jailbreak the iPhone and a collection of reasons not to jailbreak. The iOS 6.0.1 jailbreak is legal, but it can void the device’s warranty. In most cases it is easy to un-jailbreak the iPhone before taking it in for service.
How to Jailbreak the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS & iPod Touch
1. Backup the iPhone or iPod and upgrade to iOS 6.0.1 and that the computer is running the latest version of iTunes.
- Download the ipsw of iOS 6 for your device
2. Download a recent version of Redsn0w. For the iOS 6.0.1 jailbreak, users need Redsn0w 0.9.15b1, Redsn0w 0.9.15b2 or Redsn0w 0.9.15b3.
3. Extract Redsn0w to the desktop.
4. Open the redsn0w application.
- Ctrl Click on Mac (if on Mountain Lion)
- Right click and Run as Administrator on Windows.
- Click on Custom IPSW and find the iOS 6 file downloaded in step 1.
- Click on the iPSW.
- After Redsn0w recognizes the file, click back.
6. On the main screen, click on Jailbreak.
7. Place the device into DFU mode, as shown in the video below and the on-screen instructions.
8. Follow the on-screen instructions to jailbreak the iPhone 4 and install Cydia.
9. Click on Just boot.
- In the future, to restart, connect the iPhone to the computer, open Redsn0w, click Extras and Just Boot.
Now the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS or iPod Touch 4th generation is jailbroken and Cydia should be on the home screen, offering access to iOS 6 jailbreak tweaks and apps. Two good places to start looking ar GottaBeMobile’s 5 hidden Cydia Gems and Top 5 Cydia Apps.
Stay tuned for the latest jailbreak news.