What GTA 5 Xbox Players Need To Start Playing Right Away

The GTA 5 release date is days away and Xbox 360 owners who haven’t read the fine print should take note of a special restriction that has the potential to get in the way of playing the game on Tuesday September 17th.

The GTA 5 map is huge, and the world incredibly complex. So much so that the Xbox 360 version of GTA 5 will ship on two discs and require a sizable install on the Xbox 360 hard drive.

Users who own an Xbox 360 with a small hard drive, or the Xbox 360 4GB version will need to take action right now to make sure they don’t end up staring at a useless disk on the GTA 5 release.

Read: 5 Reasons the GTA 5 Special Edition is Worth the Extra $20

It's a good idea to order a flash drive to get ready for GTA 5 on the Xbox 360.

It’s a good idea to order a flash drive to get ready for GTA 5 on the Xbox 360.

Rockstar confirmed earlier this year that the Xbox 360 GTA 5 game will require an 8GB install on the Xbox 360 hard drive. For users with a 20GB hard drive or the 4GB Xbox, this is a problem, and users who buy a lot of games on the Xbox 360 may also be out of space even on a larger hard drive.

Thankfully there is a simple and affordable fix, but users should take the time to order it today, rather than running around on game day.

If you have a large enough hard drive, the cheapest thing to do is delete any old demos and DLC to make sure there is at least 8GB of storage space on the Xbox 360 hard drive.

If that is not possible, you don’t need to buy a new Xbox 360 hard drive. You will need to buy a USB flash drive to plug into the Xbox 360 and install the GTA 5 game to.

According to Rockstar gamers need a 16GB or larger flash drive, USB 2.0 rated for 15mb/s read speeds. While you could use an old USB drive you have sitting around, Rockstar recommends buying a brand new USB drive to use with GTA 5 on the Xbox 360 for, “optimum performance.”

There are many USB drives on Amazon that fit this bill. Users claim this small SanDisk USB drive delivers read speeds of 16.5mb/s and it is only $12 with prime shipping available. Here’s another slightly larger option rates at read speeds of up to 85mb/s for just $15.

The PS3 version of GTA 5 will also require an 8GB install, but thanks to larger hard drives most users won’t have an issue. That said, it’s a good idea to double-check your available storage before Tuesday.

The Xbox 360 GTA 5 version comes on two disks, but one is just an install disk, so don’t plan on splitting a copy of the game with a friend.

Comments

1. John says

“What GTA 5 Xbox Players Need To Start Playing Right Away”

The title is rather misleading. Typo?

• Earl Ezzy Gunz says

very misleading, i came to read, see what fuss is about. only to find out it doesn’t matter for me i have 250 gb harddrive. thanks for wasting my reading time for nothing

• [email protected] says

you retard.

• QWERTY says

You still need a second disc, you know since the xbox always settled for inferior hardware. That hd dvd rom wasnt big enough for the gta game.

2. Nightwolf says

My only concern about that tiny Sandisk flash drive is when you plug it into the front of the Xbox, will it hold the little spring loaded door open, or will the door close behind it making it impossible to remove the drive?

• Anonymous says

Lets think about this logically: If the door is able to close with the drive in, what would keep the door from re-opening?

• weebry4n says

I just imagined my self doing this then freeking the F*$% out lol but you could just put it in the back

3. DiamondFingers says

Beware !!! Some of those scan disks and various USB’s are wider then the port on the system. I have a Elite and found out the hard way when sticking in a Kingston 4/8 Gb

Solution : file the sides down until it fits. That is if it is plastic .

Hopefully I have helped make the world a better place on game day

4. nivello says

ty for the posting very informative dont mind the ignorant postings taking 3 mins outa your obviously incredibly busy day to read this then comment i dont think u need 2 worry about this article being a waste of your time

5. Gilboa says

I can not wait for GTA 5!! I’ve got my 250 gig ready to go. You’re not going to be able to pry my eyes away from the TV on release day. I’m hyped but I’m not overhyped. The 17th can’t come any sooner though!

6. Craig Adalay says

LOL Xbox.

I’m not a gamer of any standards, I don’t have a preference as to which console is better, but when it comes down to the hardware side of things, Microsoft were foolish to adopt the HDDVD when they knew it was inferior technology to the Blu-Ray technology.

But in saying that, LONG LIVE THE LASER DISC!

7. Leonardo says

Does the installation need internet or something like that because I dont have internet.

8. JimJimaroo says

Unlike some of the douchebag virgins who commented here, I actually have a life to live and did not know I could use a USB for disc storage.

Thanks for the info, off to buy a bigger USB. Happy gaming folks.

9. ludocreator says

The usb doesn’t work at all,its stop the game at the beginning of the 1st tutorial mission and restart it before the loading screen.