iPhone 5s and 5c Touch Screen Problems? Finnish Firm Says You’re Right

Touch screens are tricky things. When they work like they are supposed to its almost magic. When they don’t and you have touch screen problems, well, no magic for you, just frustration. Apple has been a leader in capacitive multi-touch screens since the launch of the first iPhone and most folks seem to agree that everyone else has been constantly playing catch up. We’re reaching a stage of parity there, but when developing these new devices companies have to be diligent. Users have been reporting touch screen woes with the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c (along with other issues). I don’t know how rampant this is, but a Finnish firm, OptoFidelity has been doing some testing and says that the screens on the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c don’t quite measure up.

From a report by Chris Hall on Yahoo News! OptoFidelity’s testing says that screens on the new iPhones are inaccurate across 75% of their displays. The tests were conducted using a robotic finger called the Touch Panel Performance Tester (TPPT) which tracks the coordinates of where touches occur. That 75% figure comes from measurements indicating that over 75% the robotic finger showed misses of 1mm.

iPhone 5s and 5c Touch Screen issues?

iPhone 5s and 5c Touch Screen issues?

In addition testing showed good results on the lower left of the screen, with diminishing results towards the edges and at the top of the screen. According to the report in type a text message this will most likely show up with the Q, P, O, and backspace keys as an example.

OptoFidelity also points out that the TPPT robot recognizes contact at a level that most people don’t notice. So the question remains as to whether or not that 1mm difference is significant for most users or not.

For the record, I own an iPhone 5s and have owned quite a few iOS devices. In my usage the iPhone 5s touchscreen performs no better or no worse than any of the previous iPhone or other iOS devices I’ve used. Some changes to the keyboard in iOS 7 have given me some grief, but not necessarily with the keys mentioned in this report.

Comments

1. blaze says

These phones are having so much problems…all the Apple fans are silent now,running there mouth how the iPhone is this and that…

• Larry says

I hear ya blaze.. I had the iPhone 5S I returned it the day I got it!! I’m a X apple fan apple has had issued since day one, they hide a lot just them idiot whom wait in line May or may not get the shit, just won’t admit they regret they say it sucks!!! That why I got mine online not idiotic line, I have a life and a job!! Not to loose time off to line up for a phone!! Glad with my Sony Xperia Z1 blows the 5S down the toilet!! Swishhhh cabooom!!!

• blaze says

Ye I’ve never owned a Apple phone so can’t say, but I wouldn’t get one unless the screen was bigger.once you have a big screen phone going lower seems like going from a Mercedes to a chevette.there is nothing spectacular about Apple iPhones..now if you like games..maybe..but who wants to play a game on a small.screen these days? Unless you just can’t afford one..but on the other hand..Apple iPhone ad-free over priced and over rated..and stable op systems??? As if now Apple’sNew ios update ids screwing up for a lot of people..but..(shrugs) all in all everyone has there taste.

• Bryan says

My 5s is perfect and would tease for another android phone, I have android my whole life and switched to Apple and haven’t had a single problem that people are having and by the way android so is the most unreliable is out there it lags,freezes and resets randomly ALL THE TIME, I haven’t once had any of those issues with Apple and any apple product is and always will be worth more and hold value better then any android garbage,, just my opinion thanks ✌️

2. aphmd says

I have touch-sensitivity screen issues with my 5s, that’s why I googled it and found this website!

• Yoshiboy says

Same here. This is the first time I’ve ever experienced a large failure like this with an iPhone. I had three large problems in one week and I have to say that I find the issue problematic for Apple however I would still never go back to the alternative. I use Apple everyday as a designer and the issues I faced with Mixrosoft far outweigh any issue I’ve ever experienced with Apple.

3. VALERIE says

Oh the frustration!! I’ve held on to my little Nokia flip phone with full keyboard for a long time. Battery lasted 1 week easily!

Work wants me to get a smartphone so I got an iPhone 5C on Black Friday. No issues, kinda cool. Then TODAY work tried to call me and I couldn’t swipe open the screen. Still cannot even check my text messages or make calls! What kind of friggin phone wont let you make calls!!! This is hell.

4. Jenn says

Mine seems to have problems if it gets too hot. Once it cools down, like now, it’s fine. I’ve had it less than two weeks.