Clicky

Dear T-Mobile, I Want to Switch but Your Coverage Sucks

By  |  18 Comments

T-Mobile has been attempting to shake things up in the mobile market in the last year or so, introducing no-frills service plans and enticing deals to get people to switch from a competing carrier. Its biggest thing is offering no contracts on any of its plans, meaning that customers will have to pony up the full cost of a smartphone, but they won’t be tied into a contract and the monthly bill is cheaper than a typical on-contract plan.

More recently, T-Mobile announced that it would give customers up to $650 to switch from a competing carrier, with some of that money even going towards paying for the early termination fees that you’ll inevitably receive. That’s quite a deal, and I’m all for the Uncarrier’s off-contract service plans, but there’s only one thing that’s keeping me from switching: Coverage.

T-Mobile

When I’m picking a carrier, the most important feature to me is coverage. I need to be able to get LTE in all of the places that I spend the most time at. Naturally, Verizon fills this need. It has LTE plastered in Fort Wayne, IN, which is my current residency, and it also has ample coverage up near the Goshen, IN area where all of my immediate family live. Plus, Verizon even has super-fast LTE in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania where my wife’s family lives, which is quite impressive.

I’m currently paying $160 per month for two smartphone lines that have unlimited talk and text with 2GB of shared data. It’s certainly not the best deal around — I can get a similar plan on T-Mobile for a lot cheaper. For example, with the current plan I have on Verizon, I’ll be paying $3,840 over a two-year period just for the service, whereas I’d only be paying $2,160 for two years of T-Mobile service. Granted, I’d be paying full price for the smartphones, but that still puts me ahead.

However, while T-Mobile has LTE coverage in Fort Wayne, it’s pretty spotty, and going anywhere outside the city takes you farther away from decent coverage. Furthermore, good T-Mobile coverage where my family lives is pretty much non-existent. Granted, I don’t actually live in that area, but when I’m away from home, I’m usually with my family up in northern Indiana.

T-Mobile coverage vs. Verizon coverage

(T-Mobile coverage on the top, Verizon coverage on the bottom)

While T-Mobile does have excellent LTE coverage in almost all of the major cities, I rarely travel to such places. Indianapolis is the closest big city to me, and the last time I was there was over a year ago, so if there’s a place where I need coverage, it’s not in the bigger cities, but rather in rural areas outside of Fort Wayne, usually.

I really like how T-Mobile is shaking things up in the mobile industry, and I admire its tenacity, but until its coverage matches Verizon’s coverage, they won’t get me to switch. Yes, I’m paying a lot more per month with Verizon, but I feel that I’m paying the extra premium for better coverage and more areas that have LTE available. Heck, even out in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania Verizon has super-fast LTE at my disposal, and that’s terrific.

18 Comments

1. Richard Yarrell

02/06/2014 at 11:51 am

Tmobile HAS BEEN SHAKING THINGS up period. I KICKED BOTH Verizon and AT&T to the curb for Tmobile.

Sounds like you need to move to a real location not in some silly boondock location.

• Craig Lloyd

04/10/2014 at 9:33 am

Move my entire family and life, and force my wife to find a new job in a new city, just to get better T-Mobile coverage? Sounds like a solid plan.

• Bobby (@H2oBoyBoucher)

04/15/2014 at 5:07 pm

Richard explain to me how Tmobile is “Shaking things up” by making you pay full price for a new phone and raising their unlimited data plan rate to $80 per month. To me that’s lipstick on a pig- oh hey guys were taking the words contract out of the agreement, and the discount we would normally give you and let you pay FULL retail for the phone over 2years because its easier to screw you by telling you there is not contract and you can leave at any time. Oh wait if you do leave just be aware you will have to pay the rest of the phone off in full which would probably end up being more than the ETF we used to charge. Richard I’m not here to insult your or anyone’s intelligence but it really doesn’t take a Masters or PhD to realize TMobile found a smoother way to bend us over and tell us we should be thanking them for “Shaking Things UP” Its more like a “Shakedown”

2. Bob

02/06/2014 at 11:54 am

My thoughts exactly. I’d love to switch, even activated an old iPhone 4S I had laying around to see if coverage was better then their maps made it out to be. It was ok where I live, but nonexistent where family is only 30 miles up the road. Verizon has LTE everywhere I need to go. Verizon is too costly, but with their coverage, they know they have a strangle hold on those who don’t live in big cities.

3. k

02/06/2014 at 1:05 pm

Im with you as far as tmobile coverage. But I chose to move from Verizon anyway. In my view, Verizon has a couple problems 1) their phones are preloaded with their crap and the devices aren’t able to be updated easily except from Verizon themselves. 2) While their coverage is great, their pricing model sucks. Particularly when adding new lines. and 3) I do enjoy getting new hardware frequently, but hated the idea of having to only be able to change it every couple years (given that’s their discounting model).

I figure Tmobile is where Verizon was when Verizon first got LTE. Tmobiles strategic plan appears to be heading in the right direction as far as deployment. Also, the CTO recently said that they are moving to VoLTE, and also attempting to move their 2G folks off of their lower bandwidth and free it up for LTE

So, it think its worth the risk for now. Besides, Big Red so far appears to be looking like it will stay around for awhile.

4. Phil Larsen

02/06/2014 at 2:26 pm

I can’t afford Verizon. I am sticking with T-Mobile. Don’t be a teacher.

5. Shari wymer

02/06/2014 at 4:41 pm

I have the send some galaxy 3 I can’t get reception anywhere in the house with it I’ve only had it for 5 months and they’re telling me just wait until they can get towers where I live I don’t think this is fair I’m in a2 year contract and they tell me just to deal with it I’ve never been with tmobile but people are saying that they’re pretty good company can anybody give me any input on what kind of company T Mobile is and are they a dependable company you can trusta little gun shy right now with phone companies

6. Patrick

02/06/2014 at 5:02 pm

So if Tmobile coverage don’t work for you then Duh! It works for me. I get great service in Charlotte NC
    This article is Stupid.

7. Bojan

02/06/2014 at 5:40 pm

My best friend’s step-sister makes $77 /hr on the computer . She has been without a job for eight months but last month her check was $14557 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read Full Report http://www.CashKept.com

8. Pk

02/06/2014 at 5:41 pm

Exactly.. It’s up to the consumer. If it doesn’t work for you, doesn’t mean it doesn’t work for others.. Hence why you have other carriers to choose from. Why don’t people get this?

9. psoft

02/07/2014 at 7:39 am

My thought exactly. I would love to switch but the coverage is no where near the same here in Phoenix. Always working in large buildings, and mobile in the metro area. I hate paying the premium but for business it’s a requirement.

10. TheTruthSquad

02/07/2014 at 8:18 am

I live in a suburb of Phoenix 18 miles west of Phoenix and -mobile sucks. In the old days, it would be like having a phone in your out-house but not your house.

11. blaze

02/10/2014 at 8:17 am

Sounds like you need to move, what a whiney article, it boils down to where you live and what carrier. I have no problems w tmobile, glad I made the switch, screw you at&t! 👎 Verizon, sprint, at&t will eat y O u r pockets up in money and w there crappy data plans will will nickel and dime you. Tmoble is the best thing going now.

12. April

03/26/2014 at 10:08 am

This is the first time that I have ever been onto a site and complained about anything. Frankly, Tmobile has horrible customer service. I was with them for 10 years and recently moved due to jobs. Their coverage was bad in the new area so I had to switch to AT&T. I was told Tmobile no longer does contracts last time I tried to upgrade, but low and behold I am somehow still under a contract. After 10 years they will not let me out of contract so i have to continue with them until contract runs out in a couple of months. They even researched the coverage in my new location and admitted they have bad coverage. I will never use them again. The worst part is my family owns 3 companies in which I will be running and could have had a whole company contract with better coverage and customer service. AT&T hooked me up with great phones and enough money to cover the rest of the owed bills. This is a matter of you get what you pay for.

13. Connie

04/11/2014 at 10:37 pm

Tmobile is deceiving people to switch! Let call this corporation on their deception and get them to provide adequate. Sign and Share ! Lets get the word out!! http://www.goo.gl/frArXp

14. Bobby (@H2oBoyBoucher)

04/15/2014 at 11:09 am

How is anyone fooled into thinking they would be saving any money at all with Tmobile’s no contracts idea. The only way you would legitimately save is if they were reducing the calling plan&data price by an equal amount that you are paying monthly for the new phone. I have two lines on Sprint with Unlimited Data my monthly is $150 for two smartphones plus taxes, two lines on Tmobile comes out to $190 per month plus taxes and thats including waived activation on two lines. Thank you tmobile for foregoing contracts and forcing me to subsidize an iPhone or Galaxy S5 myself. LOL! This is a joke people, you don’t save any money with Tmobile unless your not using data. I, like most power users can gobble up 2Gb in a week. These no contract marketing ideas are pure gimmick if you leave early you pay the penalty. Why not let the carrier pay for half the device and in exchange you sign on for two years. To me tis a no brainer. All of this and I didn’t even get into the coverage issues. Sprint is far from perfect but to think somehow your coming out ahead switching to Tmo is absurd.

15. Bobby (@H2oBoyBoucher)

04/15/2014 at 4:04 pm

Hi Craig,
    I should have clarified if you take Sprints Current Unlimited Data package with two lines of service compared to Tmobile 2lines of service w Unlimited Data, you will not save any money and in fact you will be paying a lot more money on a monthly basis for at least the next two years assuming you dont upgrade your phone in that time or bring your own phone in which case the ETF reimbursement would not apply as you must purchase a new phone from TMO to get any type of credit. I am basing this on configuring two new phones with two plans on Tmobiles website as of today 04/15/2014 with Unlimited Data option. Now if you are a user that only uses less than 2GB a month then both Sprint and TMO would be cheaper than Verizon or ATT I believe. But as far as Unlimted Data goes not including Sprints Framily option there really is no comparison TMO will cost you more over two years than Sprint will and its not chump change its a lot of money.