LG G2 Android 4.4 KitKat Update Spreads to More U.S. Users

A new LG G2 Android 4.4.2 KitKat update has been spotted in the United States as carriers look to meet the Q1 deadline confirmed by LG earlier this year.

Last week AT&T announced the LG G2 was set to receive the latest and greatest Android 4.4.2 KitKat software upgrade, and now we’re hearing other carriers could soon follow, with T-Mobile offering the update as well. LG has been slow to update its smartphones, and we’ve heard “coming this March” in regards to the G2 KitKat update on multiple occasions.

LGG2_002-575x383

There’s still no word on the Verizon update, but today T-Mobile is rolling out KitKat to some G2 users, but not all. For now the update is confined to just these two carriers, and T-Mobile’s isn’t even rolling out over the air. Instead, users will need to use the LG PC Software Utility program to flash the latest Android 4.4 KitKat to their T-Mobile G2 smartphone.

Many users over at the popular XDA Developers site have confirmed this indeed works great, and were nice enough to also include the download files. It’s a full ROM coming in at over 1.5 GB, rather than a smaller sized over the air update, but if you want it now, this is the quickest solution.

We still expect T-Mobile to issue the usual software update over-the-air of Android 4.4.2 KitKat for the LG G2, likely soon given this has been released, but no official details have been revealed. If you’re an average user who’d rather not flash software on your PC, expect the usual software notification on your device in the coming days or by early next week.

At this point we’ve yet to hear from Verizon, as they usually have an intense certification process on software updates, but it should also be available soon. LG promised a release before the end of Q1, which is the end of March, so either way the wait is only a few more weeks for all US carriers.

While we can’t say for sure that Verizon’s G2 will hit the March deadline, all other US carriers will and T-Mobile owners should be up next to receive the KitKat treat on their G2.

Comments

1. Jeff Jessie says

Verizon sucks at updates. Their certification process is nothing more than ensuring their bloatware can attach to it. Wish I had a different carrier.

2. wholio says

I got my G2 today 2014.02.28 about 19:30run to my home download lg pc suite and successfully install kit Kat 4.4.2

3. chapman1969 says

Come on verizion make us lg g2 owners happy with some kit kat. That’s at least you can do since we pay your high price service And you say you are the biggest cell phone company so prove it.

4. Randolph says

I agree with Chapman 1969.
    I have the Verizon LG G2, and in lieu of the high prices Verizon charges for there services, I can’t for the love of me understand why Verizon is usually late to the party when it comes to software updates

• chapman1969 says

Randolph. I can’t figure it out Neither they say they are the biggest cell phone company. One thing i can say is they suck at given their customers updates

5. sousamaster06 says

So far Verizon has screwed me with (promised) updates on the HTC Incredible, HTC Incredible 2, Galaxy Nexus, and finally the LG G2… WTF VERIZON?!?!?!?!?!

Like Chapman1969 says, they are one of the biggest, most expensive mobile companies in the US yet they treat the customers and behave like they are a tiny, rinky-dink, prepaid company that piggybacks off other carriers networks.

I can’t stand them anymore, but I will NEVER willingly give up my unlimited data… If any other company comes out with TRUE, UNTHROTTLED unlimited, I will drop it like its hot!!!

So tired of their bull… so… so… tired…

• chapman1969 says

I totally agree. With you master 06 we are all tire of the way verizon does there customers. You would think they would want to get there updates out faster then they do now which is last. So verizon dont call your self number1 when in fact you are last in the update category:

6. Tim Cloutier says

The thing is until Verizon starts to lose most of their customers they won’t change their ways. That is how most companies function. If they want more money and no more new customers are coming in then they add more fees. At that point they start to lose customers left and right.

• chapman1969 says

True verizon needs to get there head out of there a**es a get back to caring about their customers

• chapman1969 says

Yeah like mike said come on verizon its time for some kit kat. Us lg g2 owner’s have waited long enough