GBM InkShow: Lenovo W700ds Quick Hands On Video, Pictures

Lenovo sent us their brand-spanking new W700ds, complete with dual-screen and Wacom digitizer goodness.

Here is a quick exclusive hands-on video look at the W700ds, specs, as well as pictures. Much more to come later in the week.

The specs of my evaluation W700ds are as follows:

• Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.53 ghz
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 64 bit Vista
  • 460gb hard disk storage
  • 17″ primary display, 1920 x 1200
  • 10.75″ built-in secondary display, 768 x 1200. screen dimensions: 5.5″ x   9.25″
  • built-in 5″ Wacom digitizer
  • NVidia Quadro FX3700M Video Card
  • Ports, adapters: multi-media card reader, CF card reader, Express 64, 1394 FireWire, , 5 USB ports, 1 modem, 1 ethernet, wireless
  • Display Port, DVI, VGA
  • Digital pen
  • CD / DVD
  • Track pad with 5 buttons, track stick
  • Full numeric keypad
  • Expect pricing and official announcement from Lenovo soon.

All GBM InkShows and Podcasts are sponsored by TechSmith.

Click on images for high res shots. Complete specs coming in few minutes.

Lenovo W700ds compared to Lenovo X200 Tablet PC

W700 compared to Lenovo X200 Tablet PC with monitor secondary monitor extended out

Lenovo W700ds adpater compared to Lenovo X200 adapter

Lenovo W700ds Docking Station – front

Lenovo W700ds Docking Station – back

All GBM InkShows and Podcasts are sponsored by TechSmith.

Comments

1. Snowii says

that is one sweet hell of a machine :)

build quality as expected from high end lenovos? (same as Ts or Xs…)?

2. HG says

Nice quick review Rob. This Thinkpad does indeed look well built and solid from the video. It has pretty good specs, and I’m sure users that buy it won’t be traveling with it everyday. :) Its nice that it has a Wacom to do inking. Will looking forward for your indepth review in the next few weeks.

3. Amitai Rosenberg says

Nice!
    Thanks for the review!
    I have a question: Is it intended for a mobile
    solution?
    If yes- isn’t it too big?
    If not- is it supposed to be instead or in addition to a desktop?

4. Rob Bushway says

it is intended to be a desktop replacement, not intended to be a mobile solution, can be mobile to take to clients, work from home, etc. At 11 lbs, you won’t want to haul it around, but for an artist needing to work at client site or whatever, it is a fantastic mobile workstation.

much more to come – about the best I could do on Christmas Eve.

5. Garrett says

I am not sure I like it. The fact that it takes away from adding another screen when it is poped out does not mean as much to me. What if you wanted to add a screen and have that other on the side for your tools. I don’t think I will be purchasing this item. It would really top it off if it was touch screen as well. What makes this better than a tablet?

6. Rob Bushway says

depends on the need – 17″ screen for artists, colorization support fine tuning, ( will cover that in a few days ), some artists are used to a side wacom digitizer and not comfortable writing on the screen ( parallax, etc). Very high powered workstation targeted to artists. different target market

7. Rob Bushway says

@amitai – I will in a day or two. The purpose of this video was a very quick hands-on. It came in late yesterday on Christmas Eve, and I didn’t have much time to spend indepth and get better quality video

8. Freak says

Thinkpad quality? Thinkpad quality has never been the same since IBM sold off to Lenovo. Although you can still drop a thinkpad from about 6 feet, pick it up and keep working, its just not the same as it once was.

9. M@rc says

thanks for the answer about the external display.
    Happy New year to all of you readers of GBM and thanks to all GBM writer involved in making this website an incredible place to stop by for anything related to tablet and geeky techno toys.

Thanks.

10. Jon says

That think looks nuts.

There are definitely people for whom it makes sense (graphic designers/CAD people that need a high power luggable computer [at 10 pounds+ it no longer qualifies as a laptop]). However, I think I’ll stick with my much more manageable x200 Tablet, and use my triple monitor/quad core desktop when I need serious screen real estate and power.

11. Jon says

What about the screen quality (especially the second display)? If it is just a normal TN panel it probably performs very poorly when twisted to that direction (TN panels usually don’t work as vertical aligned monitors due to horrible viewing angles on the short side), or did Lenovo reverse the TN design so that it still looks okay left to right, but the verticals are shot on the second monitor.

I know the x200 Tablet uses an AFFS+ display (great viewing angles), but I don’t know of any other ThinkPad (W700 included) that offers that option.