Fujitsu’s “Slate-Beating” T580 Tablet PC is now on sale

I know at least a couple of you have been waiting patiently for this: The Lifebook T580 Tablet PC is now listed on Fujitsu’s online store with both custom and pre-configured “Express Buy” options.

Previously marketed as a “slate-beater”, this bi-directional convertible features a 10-inch, 1366 x 768 LED-backlit display with dual-digitizer with both active pen input and capacitive touch capable of recognizing up to four points of contact. The “Express Buy” option is built for endurance with an Intel Core i3 processor and 6-cell 5800mAh battery, as well as 2GB memory and 160GB SATA 5400 rpm hdd for $1,149. Wireless includes 802.11a/b/g/n and Bluetooth. The WLAN and GPS options previously advertised do not appear to be available at this time (at least not in the States).

As a Tablet PC, the T580 looks like a good portable choice. Nice to have an active digitizer in a size that has been ruled by Intel Atom-powered touchscreen convertible netbooks. Unfortunately, between the weight, price, and expected battery life, I don’t think it’s going to receive much praise a “slate-beater” any time soon.

Comments

1. Jezlyn says

Oh wow, an active digitizer in a form factor that looks to be similar to the P1610? Love it. But yeah, the price is off-putting, and prevents me from considering it. :(

2. Steve S says

For me, the thickness (~1.5 inches) is a killer. I’ve tried tablets that thick before, and it’s simply too difficult to write if you’re on a flat surface. Sumo didn’t mention that the configurable i5 vesion of the T580 can easily reach $2000 with a warranty package!

3. Steve S says

4. ChrisRS says

NOte: comes with Win 7 Pro vs Win 7 Home which increases the cost. Th eme @GB Memory is one stick wiht an open slot. You don’t have to throw away memory to upgarde.

I’d prefer to see this a a pure slate. Not as thick or heavy. No complicated hinge. It shiuld be less expensive as a slate. Tablets are becoming main stream. A slate does not need to mean a price premium.

• ChrisRS says

OOPS! I posted this before checki it! I’ll try again.

Note: comes with Win 7 Pro vs Win 7 Home which increases the cost. The 2 GB of Memory is one stick witt an open slot. You don’t have to throw away memory to upgarde.

5. Mreilly says

The Fujitsu LIFEBOOK T580 Tablet PC is a total and absolute disappointment, just like the HP Slate. Without a Wacom digitizer, both are unacceptable for inking and taking notes. I was excitedly waiting for a successor to the p1630, and they put out this junk. Except for the cpu, Windows 7, and hard drive, the p1630 is far better. The most critical thing, the Wacom digitizer, has been omitted.
    Panasonic is the only manufacturer that gets it (but I can’t afford the CF-C1). (Maybe Motion gets it too, but they’re too heavy)

• Anonymous says

N-trig pens are unacceptable for taking notes? Say what you will about artwork (I don’t know how well those Win-Tab drivers of theirs actually work), but it’s still far better than standalone resistive or capacitive from my brief experience with a few HP tx2s. (And last time I checked, the P1630 was pure resistive.)

6. Johnathan says

Size wise, it’s perfect. Hope there are more 10 inchers coming along. Been waiting for one for a long time.

7. Anonymous says

Let me guess: Intel integrated graphics.

At a price greater than the HP tm2 and a smaller screen (that probably isn’t IPS or AFFS+), I’m not interested. Heck, they can’t seem to put dedicated ATI or NVIDIA graphics in the larger T900 for some reason while still daring to charge $2,000+ for it, which is all that’s keeping it from being my ideal convertible tablet.