Microsoft to Release OneNote App for the iPhone

This should make some folks happy. I know it makes me so. Microsoft is going to be releasing a OneNote App for the iPhone. According to Ina Fried at All Things Digital, we should see it today.

The App will be free for a limited time. Users should be able to sync their Notes back and forth using Microsoft’s Windows Live Skydrive.

This will obviously be competition for MobileNoter, which is an app that allows you to sync notes back and forth through its own solution. To some degree Evernote will face some competition there as well.

Big questions remain in my mind in the wake of the news. How will Ink Notes look on the iPhone? Will there be a separate iPad version in the works?

More when we have it.

UPDATE: And what do you know. It’s available now. My afternoon is about to get crazy with work, so if anyone gives this a try post your thoughts and observations in the comments.

Comments

1. Roger J says

So Microsoft are happy for OneNote users to use the iPhone instead of making it available first for WP7?

Unless it’s to head off Evernote and the others, any hints of an Android version seeing as that is my current preference while I continue to use my WM6.5 smartphone (with SPB Mobile Shell).

• Anonymous says

no displayed ink in web version, no displayed ink in iphone version, no displayed ink in WP7 version. If I can’t access my handwritten notes while mobile, what use are they, microsoft? When will you bring it?

• Roger J says

Yes, I know, it’s also in my WM 6.5, but as you say, no inking.

I must be thick in my dotage (63), but how come I can handwrite notes on my HTC Touch Pro 2 with WM 6.5, but MS and the rest can’t replicate, even closely?

• Tatej says

It’s iOS 4.2 or higher only. Bummer for me as I only have iOS 3.2 on my Iphone 3g. One more reason to upgrade to an iPhone 4 or 5 this summer

2. Dennisvjames says

I can tell you how pen graphics work in the current version of OneNote on the Web (LIVE)…it doesn’t. When I put a OneNote up there with pen graphics it says doesn’t recognize it and you can’t see what it is.

• Frank says

that’s why MobileNoter is there, OneNote sync with Ink support. I don’t have iOS, but Android, and there they just started development, so I expect that it’s much more powerful on iOS already.

3. Yogh says

Alas it’s not available on the New Zealand app store. Remember folks, get it now when it’s free, that way when they add inking and it costs $10 you can still upgrade for free :)

4. Anonymous says

This is but the first version. It is good only for text notes, no ink notes. I hope they hurry up and update this. Until then it is Noteshelf and Dropbox! Also an iPad version is a must.

5. leMel says

I’m so happy to hear this – it bodes well for the future of the OneNote. Regarding inking – even the excellent Evernote doesn’t handle ink nearly as well as OneNote (er…desktop) does. Microsoft’s ink architecture is the best and most robust in the consumer market by a long shot in my opinion, and thus is probably is more complicated to implement. Most other inking, Evernote included, is likely literally just vector marks on the page – easy to implement anywhere.

6. Tim Hutchinson says

The lack of ink is definitely a bummer. However, this is definitely nice enough to earn its way into a finalist in my competition for a quick and easy to-do manager. There are lots of them out there but all the ones I find are either too simple, too complicated, too gaudy to look at, or too not-free. This looks to be quick and easy to use, and the ability to pass the lists onto my laptop instantly is a big plus. While it’s not got ink support, as a text based app it seems pretty solid.

7. Alan Robertson says

Looks like it’s only the US App Store – not showing up in the UK here either.