Weekly Wrap Up: Notebook, Tablet and Smart Phone News for April 22nd
This past week was a big one, with iPhone tracking news and a collection of other big news. We’ve condensed the hottest topics in smartphones, tablets and notebooks into this post so you can get caught up before the weekend.
Perhaps one of the biggest stories this week was the iPhone tracking story which our own Warner Crocker covered here, and was interviewed about the topic for CNN.com. While it looks like we all agreed to let Apple track us, the story isn’t over yet, as at least one government official want’s to know what’s going on.
Another big topic was Xavier’s take on why the iPhone 5 needs to have 4G. In short, it’s worth the wait for Apple to deliver a 4G iPhone, but we don’t know if Apple will hold out for 4G.
One more hot hot topic is our Ultimate Android 2.3 Update List that answers the often repeated question, “Will my phone be getting gingerbread?” Adam Mills spent considerable time combing through news and rumors to collect the most extensive update list we have seen yet.
Notebook News For the Week of April 22nd:
In notebook news, we have a collection of new devices announced and everything you need to know about getting your notebook, laptop and tablet connected to 4G.
In our 4G Showdown, we show you what Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon have to offer in the way of 4G USB Modems, 4G Hotspots and 4G phones with personal hotspot capabilities.
New Notebooks for April 2011:
- Dell Alienware M11x, M14x and M18x Arrive with Sandy Bridge, Wireless HD
- Toshiba Qosmio T851 Delivers 2D/3D at the Same Time
- MSI CX640 and CR640 Available for Purchase Starting at $629
- Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 Up For Sale With Metal Body at $699
- Windows 8 Metro Login Screen and Tasbar Caught on Video
- HP EliteBook 8560w Packs a CFast Slot, Brings Pro Photographers Into Frame
- MacBook Air Notebooks Get Faster SSDs, Luck of the Draw
- Apple MacBook Pro Sales Up 47% in March Says Analyst
- Asus Eee Pad Transformer Includes Windows 7 Remote Desktop Connectivity (video)
Tablet and SmartPhone News for the Week of April 22nd:
In the tablet world, the BlackBerry PlayBook launched this week and Xavier has posted his first impressions of the new BlackBerry PlayBook.
Tablet and Smart Phone News:
- Pushing the Boundaries of Technology in Tablets
- Samsung Droid Charge Appears in First Teaser Video
- HTC ThunderBolt Wireless Charging Battery Cover Shows Up on Verizon.com
- HTC Droid Incredible 2 Gets Unboxed (Video)
- HTC Thunderbolt Firmware Update Leaks with GPS, 4G and Other Fixes (Get it Now)
- Wacom Bamboo Stylus to Hit US in May for $30
Notebook and Accessory Reviews:
- Toshiba Satellite E305-S1990 Review: First Impressions & Specs (Video)
- Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5164RD Review
- Breffo SpiderPodium Tablet Is A Must Have Tablet Accessory
- Belkin Cooling Pad Review: Portable USB Powered Single Fan Cooler
- Scosche MotorMouth II Review: Add Bluetooth Speakerphone & Audio Streaming to Any Car
- Dragon Dictate for Mac Good for Simple Dictation Only
Popular How To Articles for the Week of April 1st:
- HTC Thunderbolt: How to Get Better Battery Life [Android]
- How to Insert Images in Gmail
- How to Fix Slow GPS Locking on HTC Thunderbolt
- How to Uninstall Troublesome Programs from Windows 7
- How to Search For Multiple File Types in Windows 7 (Quick Tip)
- How to Clear Notes from PowerPoint Before Sharing