How to Install Netflix for Android on Unsupported Devices – Easier Than Ever

Netflix for Android arrived last week, but only for a handful of phones. While we can go back and forth about who is to blame for this DRM streaming nightmare, it’s better to get past it and get Netflix for Android working on more unsupported devices like the Motorola Droid X2 and other new phones that should have access anyway! We already showed you a way to make Netflix work on ANdroid devices by editing the build.prop file,. but there’s an even easier way that works on a bunch of devices.

The smart guys over at xda-developers have cooked up a modified Netflix installation file that removes the device check. That means you don’t need to edit your build.prop to trick Netflix into thinking you have a supported device. Unfortunately it doesn’t mean it will work on the HTC ThunderBolt.

To get Netflix up and running on your Android phone, just download the modified Netflix apk file from xda-developers and install it like normal. You will need to have install from unknown sources turned on (Settings->Applications->Unknown sources), but that’s all. If you need help finding the apk file after you download it or transfer it to your phone, try Astro File Manager, a free file manager app for Android.

We couldn’t get this to work on the ThunderBolt, but it runs great on the Droid X2 and users are reporting success on an array of devices. If you can get Netflix for Android running on your unsupported device, leave a note below to help out the rest of the community.

Comments

1. Horrorfan says

Downloaded and installed on the LG Optimus T, everything works except when you watch it plays like it is in fast forward.  Looks great, sounds works everyone just sounds like The Chipmunks, actually kind of entertaining.

So close!  It almost works.

2. guerrilla says

YESS!! Victory is mine! After hours of trying to get all the proper usb drivers, installing microsoft .net, getting the Sideload Wonder Machine, and various other things, got it to work beautifully on my ATRIX 4G. Thank you!!

3. Venuds says

It was super easy to download it and login but once you are logged it doesn’t allow you to play the movie, It crashes and takes me to the primary page. I own a HTC My touch 4G.

4. Venuds says

5. Cvpi423 says

I was able to install on my thunderbolt. I can get all the way to the playback screen and then it returns to the home page. So close. I don’t think it will be much longer.

6. Wmcie79 says

Installs loads on my dinc2 however will not play movies. Ask to update and it say can not find source error 1005.

7. Jawoliyi says

Just download from the andriod market on my driod x works fine. Didn’t have to do anything special

8. Brycecarlson98 says

thanks so much woks on my completely stock sensation… its a little blury but really great