Clicky

Android Phones on Verizon Report Incorrect Time, Clocking out Early for the Weekend

By  |  21 Comments

Reports are coming in from across the U.S. that Android smartphones on Verizon are ready to take off for the weekend early. We aren’t talking about great Android smartphone deals, but rather incorrect times showing on Android phones from HTC and Motorola.

Android phones on Verizon incorrect Time

If you have a HTC or Motorola Phone on Verizon you should double check the time as they may be reporting times 5 to 10 minutes in advance of the real time. The issue affects different phones in different ways. In our house a Droid Eris reports the wrong time but the ThunderBolt and Droid X2 are correct. There are reports on Twitter of the Droid 2 showing the wrong time as well.

Some users have reported that they are able to fix the issue with a reboot, but this won’t fix the time issue for all users. Restarting did fix the time on our Droid Eris, but we’ll keep an eye on it just to be on the safe side. Until you are certain, double check the time on a wristwatch or computer before clocking out for the long weekend.

Josh Smith is Editor of GottaBeMobile and Notebooks.com. He's always looking for ways to help you get the most of your gear and loves to talk about tech on radio and TV. Josh uses an iOS and Android devices as well as Mac and Windows Computers. Josh Smith on Google+ Email: [email protected]

21 Comments

1. Mystify94

05/27/2011 at 5:10 pm

It’s not just the verizon phones, I think. I had this same issue yesterday on my sprint htc evo 4g. My time was showing exactly 10 minutes faster. I rebooted the phone and it worked fine but it took maybe about couple of hours before I saw the same issue again.

2. echoota

05/27/2011 at 6:17 pm

I also have an Evo 4g, and have the same thing, about 10 minutes off.  I was sweating it this morning thinking I was running way late for work.

If you want to fix manually: Home Screen -> Menu -> Settings -> Date & Time

3. Ashley

05/27/2011 at 7:40 pm

Yeah same thing happened with my Sprint Evo 4g..home screen..menu..settings..date & time…uncheck “automatic” and then re-check it..worked for me :)

4. Sanjeev Samanta

06/13/2011 at 11:31 am

Hi Guys, this same problem happened to IPhone 4 (Vodafone NZ) as well, a restart didnt fixed the issue.. did anyone having similar issue with IPhone 4 handset?

5. Numb1midget

09/13/2011 at 3:29 am

I have the droid and mine was 2 hrs off

6. Leo Ashcraft

10/20/2011 at 8:23 am

My Thunderbolt was a whole 5 hours off when I woke up…it was 11 and it was saying 4!

7. Cwelle1

10/30/2011 at 5:56 am

I woke upn this morning and my phone decided it was daylight savings time! It was one hour early and daylinght savings is not until next Sunday!!

• dl

10/27/2013 at 7:13 am

My samsung galaxy thinks it is 1 hr earlier. Restarting didn’t solve the problem any ideas…

8. Joanne_orcutt

12/22/2011 at 5:20 pm

My android phone says it is a week from now and three hours later????

9. Zhndream

03/08/2012 at 8:00 am

i have htc evo 4g. off by an hour and insists on showing wrong location! after restarting the right time will appear for a little bit then back to an hour slow!

• Ken Harrison

03/15/2012 at 3:22 am

the same thing just happened to me. Wrong time (an hour early) and it thinks I’m in Rio. I am so not in Rio! a re-boot fixed the problem for five minutes. menu>setting>date and time. Uncheck Automatic. I’m keeping it uncheked.

10. Fishiam

03/14/2012 at 7:00 pm

3 days, 3 different times my Evo 4G on Sprint had wrong time. First 1 hour behind, next 3 hours and today 12 hours behind.  This happened only a few times in nearly 2 years.  I have “use wireless network” set to determine location and “Automatic” date and time set by network provider. This last one could be the culprit. If Sprint or Verizon (secondary) get messed up, I’m at risk. A cube wall share has the Droid on Verizon and had his location misreported as being in TX when were are in MA at the same time I had that problem.

11. Billy

04/04/2012 at 10:07 pm

I have the droid and mine is saying its January 5th, 2000.  It was fine earlier today.

12. Warner

08/01/2012 at 1:34 pm

THE REASON OUR DATES ARE WRONG IS BECAUSE ON 12-21-2012 THE EARTH IS GONING TO BE IN THE CENTER OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM. THE EARTH’S POLES ARE GOING TO SHIFT AND ONE-THIRD OF THE PLANET WILL BE WIPED OUT. LOOK UP 2012 POLE SHIFT ON YOUTUBE. MAY GOD FORGIVE US.

• Jack

10/09/2012 at 11:51 am

Talk about ignorant.

• john

01/02/2013 at 7:59 am

Who feels stupid now.

13. Jeff

12/09/2012 at 2:40 pm

My HTC Incredible time change some time around midnight and three am displaying one to two hours incorrect time difference, causing my alarm clock to ring at 5:30 am instead of the 4:45 am that it is programed to ring… Any solutions to this problem?

14. MARKWW

01/01/2013 at 5:04 am

zte cell phone boots on the splash screen saying mauve music shows time and date 12 yrs in the past when it finishes booting up it shows correct date. This has started after cricket installed its update from factory. If I try to do it all over again I will loose all my apps and data

15. warren crowe

08/04/2013 at 12:23 am

My samsung note 2 is an hour behind.

16. Leah

09/27/2013 at 1:02 pm

I have this happen every night. My alarm never goes off in the AM anymore because at 7AM it reads that it is 1 or 2 AM. I have a Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Discover, Android System. This is so crazy! It just happened 5 mins ago. At 2:45PM sent a text, 2 mins later, tried to send another and it read 10:44AM. Someone help explain this!

17. Lars Nilsson

11/26/2013 at 2:56 am

My HTC One has suddenly started to think that I am in Adelaide (½ hours difference) and not in Sydney where I actually am. It is only the time widget that is wrong, everything else knows I am in Sydney.