Droid X Gingerbread Update Rolling Out Tonight, But Not for Everyone

Yes, Motorola Droid X owners, the long awaited Android 2.3 Gingerbread update is rolling out starting tonight but it appears that Verizon will only be rolling it out to select test users in an attempt to make sure things go smoothly.

Droid X

So what this means is that a majority of you, unless you are a part of Motorola’s “soak” test via its member forums, won’t be seeing the Gingerbread tonight. That’s tonight. This weekend remains unclear so it could very well be a couple of days before most of you see it. That is, if everything goes according to plan.

Motorola has released some notes, notes that are likely directed at those who will be testing out the update:

• The update will be pushed late tonight. If you go to bed, it should be waiting for you in the morning. West Coast members and night owls may be up to see it.
  • It’s a good idea to keep your phone charged if possible and plugged in overnight. You don’t have to keep it on, but you can.
  • If you are rooted, you must flash back to the standard Droid X software to receive the update. (Even then we can’t guarantee the update will work.)

There is a good chance that someone who is part of the testing crew will pull the update and make it available for manual installation (at the very least it will be possible on June 1st) so if that happens we’ll be sure to let you know. Otherwise, Droid X owners, be on the lookout this weekend.

Via: Droid-Life

UPDATE: The Droid X Gingerbread update is now available to all Droid X owners.

Comments

1. KevTN says

I know alot of people who are tired of the games from Verizon and to some degree Motorola. I guess they don’t give a rats backside about the people who pay their salaries.

2. Joshdsaunders says

This while update charade has been a parade of nonsense. I’m thinking twice, even three times, about staying on Android systems. The emotional ups and downs have proved to be too much.

• Chickensaftereggs says

Emotional ups and Downs?!? Its a phone. Nothing more. Toughen up. If a phone can screw your emotions you have a tough row to hoe in life.

• Joshdsaunders says

Haha, you’re right. I feel the same way. I honestly was making fun of the entire situation the Gingerbread update has stirred up. Heh.

• R4a2l0 says

Android is not at fault, It’s Motorola first of all. And Android is THE BEST system you will find. Iphone SUCKS!!

3. Stantehman says

“If you are rooted, you must flash back to the standard Droid X software to receive the update. (Even then we can’t guarantee the update will work.”

No thank you, i’d rather keep my phone rooted than have verizon jerk me around with what i want to do with my personal device. Seriously, enough with the nonsense, and enough with the devious plotting to end rooting, you like having customers, right Big Red?

• R4a2l0 says

I agree with you in the fact you should be able to do what you please with your device %100 but don’t you have to option to download the Gingerbread update? Or are the automatically updating it on peoples phones? Cause If they are automatically and your phone is rooted then the update will f**k your phone up.. I don’t get it..

4. melvin says

I had my droid x with the gingerbread leaked from the internet it was scary in how to install it i could of brick my phone but i know how it looks already and i loved it, my droid was fast and my battery lasted more. aslo NETFLIX  was working good but i have to downgrade to froyo to get the OTA update from verizon..

• T7whjlg says

What app are you using to view Netflix? I have an account, but have not been able to view my Netflix movies on my droid x.

• R4a2l0 says

Wait, Wait… We can get netflix now with the gingerbread update? I have been waiting for a netflix app to come out for awhile now..

5. I TAKE dROIDS! says

netflix works on froyo.(get the hacked apk)

emotional over software updates on a phone?(who does this)

people, can we say WINNING!!!! look how these companies are winning and your losing right now…these updates are like crack to some of you people. I’ll admit i look at a few forums to see what the word on the street is but i deal with it and move on when they arent’ available.

“this is bullshit, F verizon & motorola for D!$king us around”…blah blah blah sound like a bunch of babies

• Kyleje112 says

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. All I have heard was speculations from users about release dates. This is the first I have known Verizon or Motorola to admit the X was even getting the update.

• Anonymous says

Probably optimizing GB. It was already pretty snappy in the leaks, but I’m hearing it’s even more smoother and bugless in the final build. I flashed back to stock 2.2 and can’t wait for the OTA.

6. Anonymous says

All the depressed whiny people complaining that they hear leaks and rumors about crap that isn’t any of their business and then cry like pussy wimps when it turns out the internet steered them wrong.  Stupid naive morons.

You’d rather it be like apple or microsoft where they don’t let anyone know anything till after the fact?  Even then, there’s a bunch of misinformation spread.
    Stop being stupid, stupid.

7. Joshq07 says

I got the update!!!!! Its effin awesome!! Well done!!! Netflix and everything!! Just go to settings about phone and software updates!!!

• Jamie Krug says

What if it WAS rooted on 2.2 but I unrooted… I can still get the update, right?  I’ve been checking constantly for several days and nothing yet… was wondering if that might be why,

8. cd says

they pay their people too much to bs us about updates. pay them a little extra to keep me from the edge of my seat. after all what do they care, the only people who have these phones are the new sales reps.

9. Yankeegrey says

I really hope the next update is a box of tissues for these crybabies. Yes we understand you bought the device and we understand it is yours. But for crying out loud this is a free update that is being provided. Get over yourselves and grow a pair.

10. Xxcharmingjuliaxx says

All the people getting extremely pissed at the “cry babies” are as bad as the cry babies themselves. Calm down, hypocrites. Lol.

11. Some one says

All I have to say is. You guys are retarded. Its a damn phone. If something doesn’t come out right away, oh well live with it. Instead of, worrying

12. Hazerone says

I have more stuff to worry about like rent and bills……ITS JUST A PHONE…I check here and there to seeif it was released but some people actually cry about it…lol

13. Gjs87080 says

People need to stop judging others on here foreal ok some ppl care more than others about the update but so what that’s there buisness smh at people who get mad at other ppl and start name calling get a grip its america ppl can get mad and post what they want

14. Suds says

Geesh, serious cases of rage on both sides of the fence here. For the people who can’t wait for the update: chill, it’s coming and it’ll be here eventually. For the rest of you downers: relax, no need to explode at some random person who is excited over something new. As you furiously type elitist remarks at others, remember that some of us CARE about our expensive devices and want them fixed; I personally miss emails through the phone’s buggy client and want a patch. So, bring on teh updatez, Big Red!

15. IDGAF says

Troll troll troll troll troll. That’s all the internet is for. I expected this place to be better than that but I guess I was wrong.

16. IDGAF says

17. Brad Hoefflin40 says

sunday 2:00pm los angeles ca no update yet i check any time in the day guy’s i am getting piss now .

18. Olsteve Mobile says

Well, it’s 2000 cst Sun 5/29 and still no joy (official update) for my DX that I bought launch day last year-been a long time waiting for this relatively incremental release. Sprint’s offerings increasingly looking attractive, coverage improving in midwest.

19. Johnnytbouvier says

The manual update will be available on the first of June. Sit tight, and don’t cause yourself an aneurism over this update :)

20. Anonymous says

I think it’s sad that Verizon’s PR department would let this “update coming this weekend” information leak out and the only one who actually got it was an employee of the Verizon corporate office. It just makes their arrogant “bully” image look worse.

• Johnnytbouvier says

There wasn’t only one person who got the update. I have seen a few updates to GB. I don’t know if you read the post that you’re commenting on, but the manual push will be available on June first. I don’t think waiting two extra days will kill you.

21. JustDanMI says

JustDanMI @ Today at 9:39 PMI got it.   Yet my gf is still waiting to get it, and we got the phone’s at the same time. Here’s some of the changes I’ve noticed. They now locked the bottom row of apps on your homescreen so that they now display on every screen. Within that bottom row they’ve also placed a redisigned app arrow. They’ve made it so you could create subgroups of apps to find apps more quickly, they’ve added profiles so you can have different app set ups on your various homescreens. Now, when you rotate the phone, the screen appears to be twisting to the direction you turned the phone, rather than just switching instantly to the new orintation. The contacts list, as well as the phone dialing and use screen have all been revamped. When you press the home button while on the home page, it brings up small images of each of your screens to choose from. There’s more than that, they really did alot of cosmetic changes to the droid X, and I’m not sure, but it may even respond faster.  There are a couple changes that I’m not fond of.  The removed the phone icon to access the dialing screen and they removed the silhouette to access your contact list and they replaced it with the “book” looking symbols similar to the contact symbol in the apps list.  It seems both of these take you to the same screen.  So now, the dialer doesn’t take you straight to the dialing option, and the contacts doesn’t take you to your subgroup contacts that you were last in.

22. Fmdavis89 says

Does anyone know when the update is supposed to go nation wide? Still waiting on mine? NC.

• JustDanMI says

It says in the article above that by June 1st, it should be accessible to everyone.

• Nealasaurus says

But yet there has been no official statement made that it is for certain coming… its a good way to keep us Droid X owners on a chain, that’s for sure! Haha

23. Pillboy24 says

10:17PM in the Mountain time zone and mine is downloading right now.  Gingerbread here I come!

24. lalesya says

Hey could some one who does have the GB update post the current “system version” please?? cause i have the 4.5.588.MB810.Verizon.en.US but i got the one off the internet. so please would some one tell me the official one from verizon. thank you

25. Lilmandy688 says

super annoyed.. mine updated, then froze. its turning on for a minute then freezing. i turned it off and took the battery out and plugged it into charge and the charge icon doesnt tell me what percent its at, it just has a QUESTION mark on it…..im PISSED

26. Nonreality1 says

Got mine about  6pm Pacific time.  No problems on a pretty new Droid X.  No Problems and works nice.  Still playing with it but it’s fast and I like the new stuff.  I used the settings to get it not forced.

27. Nonreality1 says

I don’t think it will auto update right now so if you want it go to settings and see if you can get it.  By  the way I knew when I bought it a month ago that it would be updated.  A number of sites had it on their list.

28. Motoxer says

Does anyone know of an easy one click app to root Droid X running the official Gingerbread ota? I heard Gingerbreak. I rooted for free mobile wifi and now I don’t want to loose it or root by excepting the Gingerbread ota.