Research in Motion has announced a new incremental OS to its tablet platform for the BlackBery PlayBook. While the operating system update, which takes the BlackBerry Tablet OS to version 1.0.5 still doesn’t bring the promised email and calendar apps natively to the PlayBook nor Android app compatibility, it does bring some new features, including a pre-loaded Facebook app, automatic WiFi hotspot detection, in-app payments, and charging enhancements among others.
The update will automatically update for new PlayBook owners who buy their devices after June 6th, according to the company. For others, you can go to the setting option and check for Software Updates or wait for the PlayBook to notify you that a new update is available for download.
Here are some of the major new features:
- Facebook for BlackBerry PlayBook – The first Facebook app optimized for tablets now comes preloaded and introduces new features including video uploading, message deletion, Facebook search enhancements and more
- In-App Payments Support – Enables developers to create apps for the BlackBerry PlayBook using the BlackBerry Payment Service, which will allow users to purchase enhancements within apps such as another level in a game or a new edition of a magazine
- Additional Language Support — Updates language support to include: French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch and UK English
- BlackBerry PlayBook Charging Enhancements – By simply touching the battery indicator on the BlackBerry PlayBook home screen, users can easily adjust the screen brightness or choose to restart, turn off, or put the tablet into standby mode. Other charging improvements include the ability to charge the PlayBook while it is turned off, as well as an on-screen alert to notify users if they accidentally have plugged in an incorrect charger into their BlackBerry PlayBook
- Video Chat Connectivity – Adds support for the TURN (Traversal Using Relay NAT) protocol, which enhances Video Chat connections between users on home, public and enterprise Wi-Fi networks
- Wi-Fi Hotspot Detection – Automatic Wi-Fi hotspot detection in the BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.5 makes it easier to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot (at a coffee shop or an airport, for example)
The software update will be available to users to download and install over-the-air. Users do need to be connected to the Internet to download the update.