How to Get iOS 5 Beta for FREE Today!

Josh provided some great sources for getting iOS 5 beta for under $10, but there’s still another alternative in getting the beta of Apple’s developer preview for the next-generation iOS software. To do this, all you need is a little Google (or Bing) searching and a bit of patience as the procedure is truly not hard.

Before you proceed with the upgrade, we should warn you of a few things, just to be clear. First, this is a beta software and bugs can exist. Second, you cannot downgrade to iOS 4.x if you change your mind or if you find that the beta doesn’t suit your needs. And third, you’re on your own if you brick your device. Your mileage will vary with Apple’s support center if something goes wrong with the beta.

Now, on to the fun stuff. Gizmodo had posted some great instructions on loading the software and activating it without registering your device through Apple’s developer program or via the cheap third-party alternatives. Essentially, all you’ll need to do is download the iOS 5 IPSW file from the web. You can locate this by using a search engine and downloading it unofficially. Next, update your phone through iTunes. When you connect your phone, click ‘Check for Update’ with the following keystrokes: Option and click on the Mac or Shift and click on the PC.

After it updates, a new activation screen will appear. To bypass activation, here’s what you do:

1. Triple click the home button. This will activate the Voice Over.
2. Triple click the home button and Emergency Call will appear.
3. Click on Emergency Call and, while it’s switching, swipe with your three fingers down.
4. The Notification Center will appear!
5. Click on the Weather widget. The Weather app will load.
6. Click on the home button to exit to the iPhone’s springboard.

Comments

• Lp122158 says

You are able to restore your phone back to the 4.3.3 software so dont worry about messing up your phone. This has been tested on my personal phone.

1. Dale Bottrell says

The comment, “Second, you cannot downgrade to iOS 4.x if you change your mind or if you find that the beta doesn’t suit your needs”, is not true.I know this because I screwed up installing iOS5 beta not knowing about the activation. I have the Touch 4G and it was completely screwed up, couldn’t do anything with it. I had almost given up when I found this link - http://iphoneism.com/2011/06/05/create-signed-ios-ipsw-using-ifaith-to-restore-iphone-without-cydia-server-or-tinyumbrella/

Basically I used iFaith to get it into DFU mode and install an authentic IPSW from Apple. The Touch pod works fine again. It did get wiped out but that’s what iPod backups are for. I’m back at iOS 4.3.3 and have the UDID and ready to take another swing at it now that I know what is going on.

One caveat – iFaith can only run from Windows. But I keep my MacBook installed with Windows XP for those times when only Windows has the software I need. There is suppose to be a Mac version in the works

• Toshikagarwal says

Hey Hi. I guess I ended up as the same case as urs. Could u kindly give me link for SHSH blobs of the firmware 4.3.3 for ipod 3. Please that would be really helpful. Mine has become a brick.

• Anonymous says

The shsh blobs are specific to your phone, this means that his blobs won’t work on your phone. The good part is that Apple is still signing 4.3.3 firmwares so you don’t need the blobs. Simply put your phone into DFU mode and then hit restore.

• Dale Bottrell says

You don’t need the SHSH Blobs, as with any jailbreaking tool, get into DFU mode and use an authentic Apple IPSW to get back to being able to use your iPod/iPhone.

The way it works, download the IPSW (Google for it), then hook up your iPod/iPhone to your computer and use the software to get into DFU mode. Then open iTunes and click on the iPhone item. You’ll get a message your device is in restore mode. option-click on the restore button and find the IPSW you d/l’d and let it go to work. When done, basic stupidity has been reversed

2. Anonymous says

If anyone is interested in registering their udid I am asking for a donation of $10
    email me at IOSGuy@yahoo.com

100 times faster then a website.

*Speak to a real person*
    *skype available* @ iosguy

find me on twitter: iosguy
    Facebook: iosguy@yahoo.com

spread the word!

****THINK ABOUT FUTURE UPDATE AS WELL****

3. Anonymous says

email me at IOSGuy@yahoo.com

100 times faster then a website.

*Speak to a real person*
    *skype available* @ iosguy

find me on twitter: iosguy
    Facebook: iosguy@yahoo.com

spread the word!

****THINK ABOUT FUTURE UPDATE AS WELL****

4. dwinsmith says

This method will not allow your iPhone to work properly as a phone. I can do quick, fast and easy UDID registration so you can use all iOS Betas with no problems. Go here for more info: http://bit.ly/m6scqP

5. Gmgold says

hey guys, I think it’s better to buy activation from dev, then to live and day by day think when your fake beta will discontinue or guys from cupertino will close this hole. Common i’ve payed only 10$ and got real beta. if you afraid of frauds, i can recommend you good developers, i bought from them: http://ios5activate.info

6. Kelvin410 says

Do You Want To Try iOS 5 Badly ? Can’t Wait For The Features Like iCloud , Well Wait No More Your Can Get Your Chance To Try iOS 5 Right Now . You Just Pay $5 For The UDID Activation And They Will Activate For You Instantly When They Get Your Money . I Got Mine Activated 10 Minutes After I Email Them My Details . You Can Contact Them By Email : inessa_04@hotmail.com