Is Verizon’s 4G LTE Network Down?

It’s unclear if Verizon’s 4G LTE network is down, but at least in the San Francisco Bay Area, California, various 4G devices–MiFi mobile hotspot routers, a few 4G LTE Android smartphones, and a USB modem–refused to connect to Verizon’s 4G LTE network, indicating that there may be network issues at least in the San Francisco area. We have yet to confirm if the outage is a nationwide issue, but if so, this would be the second time that Verizon’s network has gone down since it had launched consumer smartphones on the network.

For those who don’t remember, prior to the launch of the Droid Charge by Samsung, Verizon’s next-generation 4G network went down, which had prompted speculations that the cause of the Charge’s delays may be difficulty in the device interacting with the network. Verizon had acknowledged that its network was temporarily offline at the time, but didn’t disclose what the reasons or causes were, except to say that it was working hard to resolve those issues. The Charge was the second 4G LTE device on the carrier’s network and trailed the launch of the HTC Thunderbolt. Since the Charge was launched, Verizon had added the LG Revolution to its arsenal and is awaiting the launch of the Motorola Droid Bionic as well as the 4G LTE upgrade for the Motorola Xoom tablet. It had also added the LTE-enabled Galaxy Tab 10.1 to the mix as well, though that device has yet to launch.

Anyone else experiencing network problems?

While my Droid Charge smartphone refuses to connect to 4G or 3G on Verizon’s network, 3G-dedicated smartphones seem to connect to the carrier’s 3G network just fine. Additionally, the MiFi seems to be stuck and won’t connect to either 3G or 4G at the time, though the device does show that there is reception for both–it would stall a 4G connection before trying to connect to a 3G network and then stall out completely.

Comments

1. Ricoculous says

Likewise in Los Angeles.  Droid Charge getting no data at all.  LTE Mifi shows full bars but can’t connect.  Hope it’s up by morning…

2. Tjw8109 says

I was having issues on my droid charge until about 2 minutes ago.  Lets hope it stays up.

3. tocrzy says

Concord, CA… Droid Charge just bought 2 days ago no 3G or 4G worked yesterday but not today.

4. tocrzy says

Maybe this is why. I went to system>wireless & network>Mobile networks>System selection>Changed it from LTe automatic to CDMA mode then went back in and changed it back. The 3G not 4G popped up and now I can get to YouTube.

5. Wool312 says

Buffalo-Rochester New York Area,  verizons Data network went down within 24 hours (about 1:20 PM Friday local time) after turning on the 16 new cities thursday with there 4g LTE network.  Came Back on around 4:14 PM Sunday (local time)

6. Kmorgan315 says

Tried to pay my bill and would not go through. Verizon said they are experienceing technical difficulties and to try again in 3-4 hours.

7. TenGG says

Actually rebooting my phone just now allows me to access 3G (not in a 4G area atm). Doing the same thing last night didn’t work.

8. Iammobilechris says

this makes me thank god I have Sprint, Verizon in general sucks this shit just makes them look stupid.

9. Cougarscience7 says

I switched my phone to 3 G last night bc I couldn’t take it anymore. I failed *#*#4636#*#*….and disabled the 4 G for now. It has been driving me nuts. The 3G is a tad slower…but not much..and is working. I live near Nashville, TN by the way. I have the Thunderbolt.

10. Bill says

Normally have good signal for 4G in Carolina Beach, NC.  As of 11:00am EST 6/22/2010 – no 4G  :(

11. Nobu-Sama says

No 4G here in California, Orange county.  Have to keep restarting the phone 5-6 times a day to re connect, which only helps so much. Regretting renewing my contract with verizon now.

12. Tyrone_po says

i just got a 4g mifi device from verizon and it keeps disconnecting on me.  i’m considering going back to 3g.  any advice?  is this a verizon problem or a problem with 4g?

• Deltateam226 says

Yeah i was having the same problem with staying connected . It was only on wifi that i kept getting disconected. I called verizon they took me though some steps didnt seem to work i then return the iteam to the store and got the pantech not wifi able . Just plug into ur usb port. Have not had any issue yet been a week so far.

13. Deltateam226 says

In fairfield ca their was a outage for 5 or 6 hours. The 3 and 4 g network was down. Rhen after work i went home and it seem to be good in vacaville ca. Yet there is still no 4 g coverage thier yet. Verizon rep said it should be lunching any day now. That was about a mouth ago so we will soon find out.

14. Attorneyiren8 says

july 25 3p to 6p 4g was down in temecula.corona.orange.anaheim.long beach area.   i was driving through these areas for business.   i called verizon and their customer svc rep (they are manytimes mediocre at best in a diplomatically wording) didnt or pretended not to know about the outage…..   same thing next morning in long beach/los angeles area.  WHEN YOU CALL verizon have all you PATIENCE in order…. unlike DMV, you are paying THE HIGHEST monthly charges.

15. Attorneyiren8 says

costco has one of the best price and KNOWLEable reps.  they dont charge tax on the verizon high retail price, but on the actual sales price.  give it a try.   i have no financial relationship with costco.

• Steven Mills says

It is 01:36 CDT.  At 01:18 CDT, a Verizon technical support supervisor confirmed ANOTHER MAJOR 4G LTE outage.  At this time, there is no ETA for the correction of this problem.
      This has me a bit nervous about Verizon’s ability to provide a quality high-speed internet experience.  Opinions?

16. jessie says

My Droid4 doesn’t connect very well here in the Twin Cities (Minnesota). It will constantly stall and reconnect. Its irritating =/