New Droid Bionic Photo Surfaces, September Launch Likely

Last night, Chuong posted some evidence that seemed to point to a possible Motorola Droid Bionic release date on August 4th, a date that we’ve seen leak out a few times and a date that many people are banking on. That evidence unfortunately didn’t sit too well with me. Maybe it was the brevity, the misspellings, or maybe it was the fact that the Motorola Xoom’s 4G LTE upgrade was confirmed for September and if you recall Motorola had said both would roll out at the same time. Sure enough, we have another leak today from Droid-Life in the form of a photo and guess what? A report that accompanied that photo stated that the phone would be arriving in “early September.” If you recall, September 1st has been thrown around before.

Droid Bionic

The person who presented this information released the photo you see here. It’s the Droid Bionic, clear as day. He made some interesting quips about the device including the fact that the screen is the same as the one found on the Droid X2 and the Droid 3 but that there was way less ghosting. I haven’t had that problem on my devices but it seems like the Droid Bionic’s screen will be sharper and clearer than Motorola’s previous releases.

The source also stated that the phone is both lighter and more responsive than was expected and that’s probably because of the new design and a greater amount of RAM in the new version. Sounds good to me.

But what doesn’t sound good to me is that September launch date that now, more than ever, seems like it’s a reality. How many of you are going to be waiting through the month of August for this phone?

Comments

• Mauryd says

I just decided that whichever device comes out first, I’ll buy that one. I’m speaking of the Bionic and the Galaxy S II.

I’m not angry. I am very tired of waiting though. I am currently due for a new phone. I don’t like the other phone options, so I will let the release date determine my new droid.

I guess if they released at the same time I will go with Moto. Moto has always had good battery life and that’s a big deal to me.

• TomInNH says

Was going to do the Bionic but if the Dinara comes out over the Holidays I’ll be pissed.  However given the track record of these new phones coming out I may be dead by the time the Dinara arrives ;)   As for the Samsung Charge, Don’t like the size or design, do like the thin feel but the overall feel is cheap.

1. Laxstar785 says

if august 4th passes and they don’t release this phone…. i will never but another motorola product again in my life…..and im not saying this out of anger, the way they are handling the release of this phone is just ridiculous

2. Joe says

I’ve been without a phone for few months now, and I am not willing to wait another month. If the Bionic doesn’t come out in August and the Galaxy does, then Moto will have lost a long time costumer.

3. TimmyTim says

Got sick of waiting and got a Thunderbolt.  My Blackberry died and I wasn’t about to wait anymore….

4. bone says

If they would just tell us then maybe…but I’m not waiting longer than August 18th..the date I’m due. I’m tired of this slow Droid original.

5. Neweverymorning says

this is ridiculous, if it doesn’t come out til september I’m done with motorola, my first phone is a droid x, I bought the xoom, I’m barely going to be getting my 4g upgrade for that, this company is borderline irresponisible in the false timelines it has set and lack of communication with their customers, it’s august 4th or bust for me… never again

6. bionic says

yeah, let the galaxy s2 come out in august and that’s going to get a lot of attention.  the bionic doesn’t even seem that great.  there’s comparable phones on other networks already.  i’d still like to check it out but i’m not waiting til september.

7. Nadine Kluger says

I still have the original droid (went from iphone on at&t to a phone that could actually make and receive calls on verizon).  Now, the phone is literally on its last legs and I’ve been so patient.  I’m usually not this patient.  It doesn’t charge anymore because it’s jacked so I have to rest something on the charger where it meets the phone at a 25 degree angle so that it charges at all.  I’m not spending another $99 with the insurance to get another droid when the bionic is or was supposed to come out.  I actually announced this morning that I don’t care what comes out first – the iphone 5 or the bionic.  At this point, I’m buying whichever one comes out first.  I’m so sick of this!

8. joe says

first heard about this phone in january of this year, then the first delay, then promises of a april, may , june, jully, now august 4th, if it gets pushed again i am done as well, motorolas brand is not the only hot item in town, and their arrogance will be their undoing.  i dont hold moto responsible exclusively for this either, vz is to blame as well, and if you guys noticed, the htc 3d, has almost the same specs plus the qhd screen, i may jump ship if this keeps up….

9. Diana says

I’ve been anxiously awaiting this release and was just trying to hang on until August 4th.  I’ve never owned the same phone for more than 6-8 months but held on for a year to my Droid X because I really want the Droid Bionic but I don’t want to wait another long month. I think its time to give up and move to another cool device.  I think Motorola messed up big time on announcing in January and then waiting 9 months to release this.

10. Dwdood says

It depends on whether Verizon’s version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 (Samsung Function) hits first. Which ever one is released first will be my next phone.

11. Anonymous says

Is it wrong that I have a little faith in Verizon with their ad saying that it will be released “this summer”? September definitely isn’t summer. I suppose with all the “screw you customer” moves Verizon has been making in the last year or so I shouldn’t have any faith in them, but as far as I know they haven’t blatantly lied so far.

All that said, this just further confirms that I’ll be getting the Galaxy S II instead. Much better screen, faster processor, and hopefully an unlocked bootloader will make it the phone to have. Let’s just hope that Verizon doesn’t push the SGSII back just to not steal the Bionic’s thunder.

12. Anonymous says

13. Trob6969 says

I seriously doubt that’s a pic of the bionic. That’s a 3.8″ display. I’m looking at it from my original Droid & the word ‘motorola’ is the same size in comparison to screen width as my phone. Also at the bottom of the phone, the four icons have the same spacing & run nearly the width of the screen which again indicate a 3.8″ display.

14. Trob6969 says

15. Megan says

I can’t wait any longer this is ridiculous.  I have been waiting since January to finally upgrade from a 2G to hopefully a quality 4G phone. My current phone is such a pile and if the SGII is released first..that is what I will be getting.

16. Ralph says

Motorola’s chance of being a top tier phone company vansihed with the constant delays of the Bionic. The Samsung Function launching in August and the i-Phone 5 in September already make this phone worthless.

17. Reggah says

my bb is about to die and I cannot/will not wait for this fake timelines, and lack of info by moto

18. Ralph says

the speaker is wider and you can tell theres no “slider”. Theres no recess in the “chin” area. Thats the Bionic but at this point its more valuable as a paper weight than a phone.

19. Dknuckles says

I don’t believe it for one there’s no date showing on the phone to give it fully credibility also where’s the chrome ring around the outer edge shown in the amazon leak??? I think your source is blowing smoke up your *** sorry…

20. Marc says

Without any confidence from Moto, I won’t wait much past the Aug 4 date.  IF Moto gives us some solid on an actual release date, then I “might” be willing to wait a few more weeks.

• Calguy77 says

Do you people think motorola reads these threads and feels threatened? “oh no motogeek says he’s not going to wait til september, we better release it ASAP…”

21. Cesar says

Didn’t we hear in their announcement at CES in January of this year that the Droid Bionic would bring the end of waiting? Or was I just dreaming? Seems to me that the elusive Bionic has brought upon us the longest waiting period for a phone that I can remember. August 4th, Motorola. August 4th! And if I don’t have a Bionic in my hands on that date, then I will just have to get an iPhone 5 even though I hate iPhones!

22. Jnort20098 says

This is just pissing me off. They say a summer release, excluding seasonal shifting due to global warming, traditionally September is fall. I’ve been holding my upgrade since Feb. for this phone and they kept putting the release off for one reason or another. I’m tired of it. Don’t they understand the closer they release this to the release of the iphone 5, the more market they will lose (androiders and apple cultists). It’s not about who makes the phone entirely, it’s also about what u can do with it.

23. Dan Pappianne says

(coda) Look, I want this phone as much as everyone else, I’ve been following it very closely and I’m holding off on my upgrade until it’s released. How can you be mad at a company for wanting to improve their device? August 4th was never mentioned by Motorola, it’s only been speculation. If August 4th passes and they don’t release it then that only squashes that rumor. It’s not like Moto said the 4th and then pushed it back even further – you heard about the 4th from rumors on the internet. We have nothing to be mad about. They don’t slate a release date, this way they’re not rushed. When it’s ready, they will release it. Haven’t you learned anything yet? From the Eris to the Droid to the Incredible to the X, this has happened EVERY time. It’s just like how everyone gets when Android gives info on the future release of a new OS – the speculation and anger begins immediately.
    September seems to be more likely, but whenever the phone is actually launched, everyone is gonna be happy and buy it. That’s all there is to it.
    THEN (and this is the best part), once you have your Bionics in hand, you’ll get on the internet and blast Moto for not giving any info on the new and elusive Dinara. You know, their new NEW phone, the one with shiny bells and whistles and a detachable can opener that everyone MUST HAVE!!! You know, the phone that will make the Bionic look ancient. You know, the one that everyone will want more than anything. The one that Moto won’t even talk about, and once the rumors hit the web everyone will start creamin’ everywhere and demanding answers concerning its release and specs.
    Damn you Moto for making good products!!
    Do you think Moto cares if it loses a few customers? Regardless of the amount of people that say that ‘they’ve had it’ or that ‘they’re never buying a Moto phone again’, the sales and profits from the release of the Bionic will outshine all of its predecessors. You’ll buy the Bionic when it comes out, believe you me, you’ll buy it, and it will be the revolutionary ‘it’ phone for all of a month and a half.
    Yes, they could be more understanding and empathize with their customers, but they don’t. Moto’s a huge corporation and they don’t have to. Deal with it. Do you understand the amount of hype you all are creating for this phone? Moto has everyone wrapped around their little finger so tightly that you’d get down on your knees at the drop of a hat if they told you that it would get you their brand new device faster than everyone else.
    I hope they release the Bionic with an annoying bug so you can all get back on here and flame Moto for being a-holes then listen to the rumors about the release of the bug-fix/update AND THEN hate on Moto for not releasing the fix on the day that some random person on a droid life forum promised. And then there’s talk of a new phone and well, back to coda.

Truth

24. Dan Pappianne says

Damn you Moto for making good products!!

Truth

25. Sako says

so how do I take myself off the bionic sign up page? I don’t want to be hassled about a phone I’m not waiting for anymore especially when there’s a chance the S2 will have LTE. No reason to get bionic anymore.

26. A1cfreda says

The speaker in my original Droid broke at the end of June. I was going to wait until the 4th, but the rep at Verizon told me they haven’t seen anything about it and would probably be until Late November. I gave up and bought an LG Revolution.

• BrianB13 says

You fell right into the hands of a sales person.  The rep got you to think nothing was coming out until November so you would buy a phone today and you did.  Its only a little over a month until September 1st.  Once these high powered phones come out, you will regret buying that phone unless you want to but one outside of a contract.

27. Scott Neil says

I think what this is really coming down to is will the phone be worth the wait?  my OG Droid has a smashed screen i have to waive a magnet behind it to get it to come out sleep mode becasue teh power button is broke and i am waiting…..for this Bionic….so Motorola please let it be worth the wait. and throw a dog a bone will ya.

28. Flippindewd says

If this guy in the source is holding and using a Droid Bionic, why does that suggest a september release?  Wouldn’t that suggest it’s pretty much ready to get out?

29. Kohlton22 says

been a die hard moto fan but this was the last dissapointment prolly gettin galxy if bionic does not come aug 4th. moto didnt lie bout september 1st thing

30. Kohlton22 says

31. CaptM says

It sure would be nice if
    people whould do a little research and get their facts straight.
    Clearly the original phone designated as the “Bionic” was scraped and
    a new completely different phone took up the designation of “Bionic”.
    Never once has the new phone designated “Bionic” been delayed.
    As officially stated by Motorola back on April 19th, 2001: “In
    collaboration with Verizon Wireless, we are expecting to launch Droid Bionic
    this September.”

So there has never been a delay from the original, official release from
    Motorola about the New Phone Designated “Driod Bionic).

Take some responsibility for what you write.