Asus Confirms Eee Pad Transformer 2

We really love the Asus Eee Pad Transformer and that’s why we were extremely excited when we heard that the sequel could be arriving at some point in October with a Tegra 3 quad-core processor. And now, we’re over the moon because it looks like this rumor could very well become a reality after Asus Chairman Jonney Shih confirmed to Forbes that a sequel to the Eee Pad Transformer would be arriving in the coming months. Of course, coming months is completely ambiguous but it means that there is definitely a possibility that we could see the Eee Pad Transformer 2 hit shelves in 2011. Unfortunately, Shih didn’t confirm much else about the next tablet so we’re still unsure exactly what it’s going to bringing to the table.

Eee Pad Transformer

If Asus is releasing it in the same year as the original, it’s likely going to have some significant improvements. Tegra 3 will be out this year though and it’s very possible that Asus and NVIDIA will want to make a splash before the holiday shopping season meaning a Transformer 2 launch this year could happen. It’s also possible that Shih’s company will release the 10-inch Eee Pad Slider this year and wait to unveil the Transformer 2 at CES in January.

And while he refrained from getting into specifics about the device, Shih did note that the device was going to be “impressive” and for now, we’ll take him at his word.

Asus has confirmed that the Eee Pad Slider will hit the United States in late August or early September.

Comments

1. Todd says

Good news also since it means an inevitable price drop for the first Eee Pad Transformer as retailers clear stock.

• Tina says

Dang it!  I wish I would have read this earlier!  Just bought 2 Eee Pad Transformers this weekend!  Ugh!

• ゆんたた says

I really hope so and that way, wish it will be the same in color.
      Sometime, the color changes for a new line up.. I love TF101 cocoa brown color…

2. Alain Chappaz says

Somebody’s not using their noggin. The TF101 has just appeared in my local store, and Asus is already announcing its successor ? Why would I buy the first one then? Oh sure, you can say that that’s how technology always operates, but if you tighten the release cycle *too* much, you know what? Nobody’s going to buy, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do. Not buying. Then everyone’s going to bitch and moan and say Apple has a lock on the tablet market. This is a recipe for abject failure, guys !

• Anonymous says

First, Tegra 2 was old as hell when it was being used.  Everyone is using Tegra 2 due to the limitations of the first version of Honeycomb.  There is zero performance differentiation for Android tablets.  Tegra 2 was released in the beginning of 2010.  Ancient as far as I am concerned.  April 2011 is when the Transformer saw its release.  Oh here comes Tegra 3.  And nobody else has it yet.  And the holiday shopping season is coming.  How can you tell ASUS to remain stagnant?  Android tablets need a serious kick in the pants to compete with the iPad and your advice is to just sit there and twiddle your thumbs for another 6 months.  Brilliant.

Second, it’s a first gen device.  All bets are off.  You are taking a gamble.  You want stability and release patterns you can follow?  Then you WAIT until the companies involved have it figured out.  I’ve been burned on first gen products many times but I sure as hell don’t bitch about it.  I know going into it that practically anything can happen.

3. Anonymous says

If you can’t wait for October for the Asus Transformer 2, then good news the Asus Transformer is now come down in price on Amazon! - http://amzn.to/jLbPxq

• Mike Piantanida says

Currency understanding fail. *Facepalm*
      The price of the original Transformer is indeed likely to fall, but not until after the TF2 is available at retail.

4. Anonymous says

I think the stores would have to have the stock in order to deplete it in the first place :)

5. Axel Terrier says

Does somebody think it will have ice cream sandwich? I think i’m gonna buy it, the original was so tempting, i don’t think i’ll be able to resist this one!

• Filip Cvejic says

im thinkin the same :D
      i read on another site that it will have ice cream sandwich but these are all rumors…

6. Updatez says

The Asus EEE pad is so much more appealing than an ipad. The ipad allows for very little personalization outside of what Apple says is good for you. The EEE pad is less expensive and delivers a more robust experience than the otherwise boring ipad. Ipad shines in the available apps dept but that is rapidly changing as we speak. The EEE pad delivers a remarkably competent product in a convenient package for relatively fewer dollars and that makes good sense to me! I’ll be in line the day the EEE pad 2 is released.

7. Lol says

dam i just bought the first gen last week with dock…well hopefully if this next one has some REAL big changes and can use the old docking system ill proberly sell the first and buy the 2nd which im sure quite a few ppl will do

8. Chris says

If Transformer 2 will not have again 3G it will be a disapointed for me , I decide to buy but only if have 3G

9. onabudget says

if the price gose up im not buying ill wait another month or two till all the other companys release there 4.0 tablets

• Hasandean says

Just buy transformer 3G … not bad … But i am waiting transformer 2 with 3g for 2nd item.