Samsung: ‘No Plans’ to Launch Galaxy Tab 7.7 and Galaxy Note in the U.S.

The Galaxy Tab 7.7 and Galaxy Note are two devices that are generating quite a bit of buzz here at IFA 2011 in Berlin. There’s a lot to like about these devices, but unfortunately you might not be able to buy one stateside. According to Samsung, there are currently no plans to ship either of the devices in the U.S.

After gawking at the Galaxy Tab 7.7′s beautiful Super AMOLED Plus display and the Galaxy Note’s high-resolution AMOLED display, I asked a Samsung spokesperson when I could buy one.  She told me that there were no plans to sell it in the U.S. The press event was crowded and noisy and it wasn’t clear to me which one she was talking about. I was tired after a long day at the conference and I probably wasn’t clear about which one I wanted. For the record, I’d like to buy both to play with.

When I was back in my hotel room I sent the Samsung rep a text message asking for clarification:

Me:  “You Mentioned that there’s no plans to launch the new tablet in the U.S. at Showstoppers.Can you please clarify if u   were referring to the Note or the 7.7?”

Her: “Both.”

That certainly wasn’t the answer I was looking for. It’s no secret that gadget makers will only sell devices where they think they can sell them, but I’m still disappointed. As a photographer I think the Galaxy Tab 7.7 would be a fantastic way to show off my work on the go.

Hopefully Samsung can find at least one U.S. wireless partner to sell the device. Americans are used to paying very little for wireless devices thanks to carrier subsidies. Perhaps the Galaxy Tab 7.7 is just too expensive to be competitive in the U.S. market as Samsung hasn’t yet announced pricing.

There is of course a chance that Samsung is playing coy and already has a partnership announcement lined up down the road.

The Galaxy Tab 7.7′s slim design and gorgeous display  put it at the top of my shopping list. Now I just need to know who’s going to take my money for it. Will it be a U.S. retailer or am I going to have to procure one from overseas?

Comments

1. Anonymous says

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Stupid Samsung! AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Howcanacompanyfilledwithsomanysmartpeoplebesodamnstupid?!?!?

2. slbailey2 says

Samsung may be thinking that the tablet will not sell at its price point after the HP TouchPad fire sale and the Amazon 7″ tablet going on sale at a lost.

• Xavier Lanier says

There will be an International version ready for the holiday season. We will probably get one of each somehow, but it sure would be nice to be able to buy them the old fashioned way.

3. Brad Linder says

“No plans” is public relations-speak for “we haven’t made any announcements yet.” I just checked in with Samsung PR and received confirmation that while there are no announcements the company also hasn’t ruled out the possibility of releasing either device in the States.

• Xavier Lanier says

I hear you on PR speak. Apparently there are solid plans to roll out the device for the holiday season in Europe, but nothing on the U.S. side. Maybe they’re still working on a deal with a carrier or are just waiting to announce it.
      One thing that’s interesting to note is that the demo units had stickers stating the design is subject to change. Maybe we’ll get something just a little different in the U.S. – or maybe we’ll just have to be patient.

• Brad Linder says

Yeah, Samsung has certainly been known to launch products in other countries and not the US. I’ve seen notebooks that only showed up in Europe, and the Samsung Galaxy S WiFi portable media players running Android have been shipping for months in some regions, but not the US.

But in this case, I have two different people at Samsung telling me they haven’t actually ruled out a US launch yet… they just haven’t made any announcements yet.

4. Anonymous says

I understand Toshiba is about to release a really nice thin, fast Thrive.
    real-privacy.edu.tc

5. Eludium Q36 says

I could pass on the Tab 7.7, but the 5.3-in Note is very intriguing to me and it’s got no competition in the US so I’m not sure what business sense it makes not to sell here. In any case, it’ll likely wouldn’t be available till Q1 2012 for Eurasia and Q2 for the US, so it’s WAY far off in calendar space.

6. Anonymous says

US people love their Apple so much..Samsung didnt bother to launch their device over there..might as well concentrate selling to the rest of the world where people appreciate them more

• Ironic_karma says

I have an iPhone 3GS and would give up apple to have the Galaxy Note on AT&T. I want thy phone and want it now.

• Ironic_karma says

7. Tmkane says

I’m into the concept of total digital convergence. That means one device doing all things.  I want it to fit in my pocket, make phone calls, surf the net, watch video and be effective as a reader.

The last two means the screen has to be as big as possible and still fit in my front pants pocket.  The 5.3 inch screen is attractive, because that makes it about paper back book size, which is the minimum I want for a reader.  In areas of the globe where people use public transport, like subways, this is the ideal device. Perhaps that’s why they aren’t selling it in the U.S out side New York, DC, Chicago, San Fran, Boston – not enough people use public transit.

8. Anonymous says

I love the idea of the iPad, but when I hold either version, it is too big and clunky. I tried out the Galaxy Tab at BB and found the 7″ tablet to be the perfect size. The Tab 7.7 being so thin and even lighter must be awesome. I only wish it would do at least 720p HD video. Not sure what the video is on the 7.7. I would definitely buy the Tab 7.7 with HD video.

9. ibobxtraz says

Oh, I want one too… No plans in the States. What about Canada? We’re sort of International… (sort of!).
    After reading all the reviews and looking at all the pictures, I like the 7.7. I don’t want an iPad. If I buy an iPad, I won’t use my iPhone.

10. Claudine says

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus is out. Check it out. It’s as thin as the 7.7 version but only at 7″. I still want the 7.7 though.

11. Paul Allen says

Looks like its the Toshiba Thrive 7″ then for those that want WiFi only. Looks like a nice Tablet as well.