Rumor: No iPhone 5 Today; iPhone 4S With A5 Chip and 8MP Camera

According to TheNextWeb, Apple will not announce an iPhone 5 today. Instead, they’ll only announce an iPhone 4S with the same dimensions but more powerful guts. That teardrop-shaped device we’ve seen in mockups and such? That’s for a future iPhone 5. (Does Hard Candy know?)

Even if the new phone isn’t an iPhone 5, the 4S is supposed to be much more powerful thanks to Apple’s dual-core A5 chip and 1GB of RAM. It’s a similar combination to what we’ve seen in the Droid Bionic and Samsung Galaxy S II phones.

Maybe no iPhone 5 Today

The camera on the back gets a bump to 8 megapixels and supposedly has “enhanced optics.” Better smartphone pictures are always welcome.

As nice a phone as this could be, an iPhone 4S seems less exciting than an iPhone 5 at the moment. Perhaps we’ll all feel differently once the presentation is over (less than an hour, kids!). Were you hoping for an iPhone 5, or will the iPhone 4S do?

Comments

1. Steve D from LI, NY says

if apple doesnt announce iPhone 5 today, people are going to be PISSED. They postponed the typical summer launch, we’re now in OCTOBER. A Christmas release will be horrible for them as the Nexus Prime, Galaxy SII and Motorola Droid HD/Spyder/Razr will crap all over the place. You’re looking at a even larger increase in market share by android and Samsung’s power ever increasing. People who buy iPhones arent phone geeks who love to discuss “specs”. If the phone looks the same, IT IS THE SAME regardless of “what we have done to improve this device”. Don’t get me wrong, there is certainly a place for a 4S, but don’t release it without the 5.

2. aprildsteele says

I am disappointed. :(  Been waiting months for a 5 announcement…I was hoping to bypass the 4 altogether. I am overdue for an upgrade and have been holding off.  Now I gotta talk myself into something less than what I expected?  This does not make me happy.  At all.  I feel cheated.

3. aprildsteele says

4. aprildsteele says

5. Joshdecker says

I saw this coming the whole time. I’m guessing they will release the iphone 5 early 2012, with the other new  phones coming out Christmas time they can wait for the hype of the prime, droid, etc to die down giving them more attention and sales when they do release it. It’s all about timing

6. Joshdecker says

7. Sforman789 says

I’ll pass, been waiting for the 5 now they just update the 4 and so we know if we buy now we’ll blow the update and be stuck with a 4s when the 5 comes out.  Very disappointing.  They should have been honest about the fact that it was a 4g s introduction and not potential the iPhone 5, that would have left allot of people less disapointed.   People don’t want to be jerked around.

8. Sforman789 says

9. Anonymous says

“It’s a similar combination to what we’ve seen in the Droid Bionic andSamsung Galaxy S II phones.”Please… are you serious??
    Connectivity, display, hardware, performance… it is not similar.

• K. T. Bradford says

You do notice that I said that about the dual-core chip + RAM, right? I didn’t say that about all the specs. Since you’ve not yet touched the iPhone 4S, I don’t think you can say whether the performance is better. Just sayin’.

10. Anonymous says

Connectivity, display, hardware, performance… it is not similar.

11. Anonymous says

Connectivity, display, hardware, performance… it is not similar.

12. Anonymous says

Connectivity, display, hardware, performance… it is not similar.