How to Recover Lost Apps After iOS 5 Upgrade

If you upgraded to iOS 5 and lost all of your apps in the process, don’t panic just yet.

After a day off issues included trouble downloading, the dreaded error 3200 and issues verifying iOS 5 installs, you might have been so excited to see that you had iOS 5 ready to go that skipped the last step, app syncing.

How do I know? I almost did it this morning. After the iOS 5 update completes, and it appears you can remove your iPhone or iPad, you shouldn’t.

Within a minute or so, iTunes should start syncing with your device, bringing over your apps and app data such as game saves.

If you are worried about losing your data, I suggest you listen to Dale Strauss and make a copy of your iPhone or iPad backup to an external location.

Sync with iTunes Again

If your iOS 5 upgrade deleted all of your apps, the first step to plug your iPhone back into your computer and sync. If all goes well, and you had your apps transferred to your computer, this should sync them back up to your iPhone or iPad. This process can take some time, but it will put your apps and your app data on your device easily.

This strategy may not work for everyone. If you need to get your apps back, but you can’t get them to sync over, you can download them from the App Store on your iPhone or iPad. Unfortunately, this won’t include your app data and is a painful process.

Download from App Store Manually

To download your apps from the iTunes App Store again, you need to open up the App Store on your device.

Tap on the Purchased Tab at the bottom of the App Store.

On this page, you can manually install all the apps you have purchased and installed in the past. Sadly, you cannot install all of your apps in one go. This is further complicated by the fact that every time you install an app, you will be bounced out to the main home screen. If you have a lot of apps, sit down and get ready for a long process.

iOS 5 lost apps recover

How to Download Lost Apps After iOS 5 Upgrade.

You can search your purchased apps, only view apps on not on your device and narrow the view to iPhone or iPad apps only, but even with these tweaks, it will take a long time.

When you find the app you want, you just need to touch the little cloud icon with a down arrow to download it. You won’t be charged for the app again, and free apps you have installed are included here as well.

Do either of these solutions help you recover your lost apps after upgrading to iOS 5?

Comments

1. Dale Strauss says

JOSH – SERIOUS WARNING!

There is a real risk of totally losing your date on this update, and an Apple tech just confirmed that others are experiencing permanent data loss. I was told THE ONLY SAFEGUARD is to do a regular backup (sync) first, THEN MAKE A SAFETY COPY OF THE BACKUP DIRECTORY TO AN EXTERNAL DEVICE, then proceed with the iOS 5 update.

In my case, I did the regular sync, installed iOS 5, and instead of going into restore mode after the reset, it went into backup mode and overwrote my backup with the blank data on the fresh phone. I was able to get it to reload my applications and one playlist manually, but all application data, settings, photos, videos, etc. were lost. The iTunes Device preferences menu only shows two backups made at exactly tne same time as the iOS 5 install, not any prior to that.

I realize many are successfully updating, but no one should rely solely on the iTunes backup – make a safety copy of the backup directory to an external device FIRST.

• Phaktim says

This is crap. My wife is so pissed at me cos of this. I thought I was doin the right thing by backing up iPhone before upgrade but then it just made a whole new backup. All game data is lost! Nearly a whole year is smurf down the drain. This is makin me pissed off a bit at apple!

• Atom73101 says

I’m on my second day of being ass-kicked by the wife. Same problem. Seems like such a fundamental issue. What good is your phone if it lost of your data. Does Apple realize what they are doing. They better come up with a solution, one that will bring peoples stuff back, assuming it is stored in some dump zone in cyber space.

• Nicottscole says

Same fricking problem here.  This is exactly why I switched to Android, I loathe the automated everything…especially when it doesn’t work.  My wife hasn’t discovered that her apps are gone yet because she isn’t, but I am not looking forward too it.  Down with the Iphone, yay Android!

• What happen says

I’m experiencing similar issues. Can’t find the iPod app that is usually lock at the bottom of the iPad screen. I noticed it was gone other day after upgrading to latest, but didn’t worry about it because I really don’t use it and I thought they moved it or implemented something new. Spouse came to me other day looking for it and I was at lost to explain. I’m going to try reconnecting to pc and hopefully it will resync.

• Cathy_loveland says

Yeah I’m pissed too lost a bunch of important notes. Fuck apple. I got 3 iPods that won’t work too

• Missmcclore says

All my apple stuff is screwed up.  iPad  won’t connect with the istore, my macbook pro is running slow and the contacts are all screwed up when I tried to sync after I updated to ios5.  My iPhone I have to sync with the cable cause I’m afraid to upgrade after all the crap on my Ipad2 after upgrading to the new ios.   I NEVER had these kinds of problems with my Blackberry. Never!!!!   I’m so heavily invested now in all the crap that I have to find a way to make it work.     Really pissed now.

• obeytheDOODLE says

My boyfriend is ready to kill me. If you hear of a woman, age 41, from St. Louis, that has gone missing, just check with my boyfriend to recover the body! LOL. Well, not so LOL. This sucks. His data is not game stuff its all work related. We have always be PC people and I just don’t get why Apple is so great. We’ve had more problems with this stupid iPad than all of our PC’s combined!!!

• Batesinc1 says

I lost everything too. Woke up in the am and my alarm that I set through my iphone never went of. Then I looked at the screen and it said “no service” then tried to go to my iphone to email and look at my notes…everything disapeared!!!!!!! ATT told me I had to back it up w/Itunes. “Apple doesn’t like it when you don’t update! I updated and found that all my nortes that had all my jobs, impotant notes, things to do, my job slips, EVERYTHING WAS GONE!!! Thank you apple! I’m BS too!

• Hawaiiboyinsf says

I lost ALL data in ALL my apps – reminders, photos, account info, stocks, etc. Even lost data from iphone features like contacts, messages, calendar, weather, clock, phone. I am soooo pissed! Been trying to find resources to recover the data, but have been unsuccessful.

• Roxycarter21311 says

did you ever find a way to get it back i have lost everything on my boyfriends phone very very importaint stuff that he cant get back can you tell me if you ever got them back please thanks

• gustavo says

I lost all my app, including those that were purchased. The app Agenda was, to me, a irreparable loss. I’ve followed all the instalation and sync steps. I don’t intend to update my ios 5 – next, i’ll exxhange my Iphone for a Samsung or HTC.
      Gustavo,
      Brazil.

• Rickysartin says

How do you get the apps back… I really need to no. It would help me ssooooo much :(

• Gys says

Fucking bullshit all that time wasted and all my apps deteted fuck you apple you peice of shit i want my money back for all the fucking hours i spent to have it all lost fucking assholes

• Johnsmith says

If you would have backed-up your phone first ….you wouldn’t have had all this grief.
        It’s the first thing an IT Guy will tell you. Back it up !!!

• Appul Jeanyus says

Doesn’t matter when the automatic syncing overwrites the previously made backup as was stated in the very first post.  I think when you get to the point of having to make a back-up of your back-up of your back-up then the product has a real weakness.  Back-ups should have an aging process that keeps the previous backups for a specified period of time and never delete them regardless.

• Mpstaples says

Me too, guys. I lost my data and my programs and iTunes no longer recognizes me as an existing account — won’t recognize my password and can’t reset it because it doesn’t think I am an existing account?!? This is a friggen nightmare.

• I hate Apple says

And if you call Apple to try to get them help they charge you $29.  I will never get another Apple product.

• Gurji says

I agree with Dale, all of my data was lost, even the back up, as iOS5 earased all this data.  Apple tech walked me through this process, in the end I had a phone with iOS5, nothing else, all pictures gone.  Black eye for Apple!

• cijirose says

Oh my gosh im so scared…i just now upgraded to the ios5 and it restarded my ipod and made me do it all over again like i had to pick the language reconnect to the wifi and all of that. I really hope none of my pictures are gone…I PRAY TO GOD that apple has SOME SOLUTION to getting everyones stuff back…I havent got to go to my home screen yet because its “restoring” right now and im scared sooo bad. If everythings gone, im done. Ill hate apple forever.

• Alexis Orgera says

I wish I  had known that before I did the update. Mine did the same and made a blank backup.

• Anonymous says

We’re still covering Android and other news, but right now there is just way more information coming out about iOS 5.

Samsung and Google just confirmed an event, which we have up, but in a few days you should see more balance.

If you have Android or other mobiel news tips, shoot us an email. Thanks for putting up with the deluge of iOS 5.

• Don Julio says

@beaver. let me be clear. I’m a Verizon customer sitting on an unused upgrade since April. Every time I see iPhone 4s, I see nothing but disappointment. iOS 5? siri? seriously? if Apple has shown anything, it’s that sheep will follow.

as far as gottabemobile. my apologies for earlier whines. this site is by far my favorite for mobile news. i do realize the iOS news appeals to the masses. it still

• Andrew says

Same here. I guess we have to wait for an update. Will try doing them on pc rather Han direct to iPad

Do they test these upgrades?

Bad as blackberry

2. Chimchim8000 says

I feel like I am stuck with “semi” lost apps. After the restore while upgrading to iOS 5, iTunes did replace the apps (totally out of place but it appeared to put them all back on the phone). However some of the apps appear to be missing until I use the search iPhone feature. It finds them and I can use them but the apps icon is nowhere to be found on any of the screens. Anyone know how to fix this?

• Dmaita says

I have the same problem. They show up in a search but not on the desktop. If you try and download again the app shows that it is installed.

• Dmaita says

Oooops, they were hiding 3 screens over. The 5 update removed move of my folders and scattered my apps about!

3. Pamlw111 says

thanks for this I’ve got all my stuff back and older stuff I’d forgot i’d even had!! yayyy

4. Nicholas Hardeman says

Dude! I was soo pissed off when all my apps were deleted but when I downloaded Angry Birds from the AppStore all the data was still on it! And so I did with with some other apps and all of it was still there!

5. Wttmage says

Can download the app in the App Store on my Mac, but cant transfer to my iPhone..What to do??

6. TKKG says

sad thing is – if steve was around, this wouldve never happen.. the man is gone for a week and apple already losing the high standard.. shameful..

7. Kimberlydeane says

Didnt help. My issue is that it says certain apps are intalled, but theynare no where to be found on my ipad. I can reinstall because it thinks its already installed. Arghhhh

• Kimberlydeane says

Nevermind. After reading comments, i checked a few screens down and sure enough they were there. Thank diamata!

8. Cathy says

Thank you so much for this article!  I had to do the manual app install and it worked perfectly.  Note that you do have to install each app one at a time but you don’t have to wait for each one to finish installing before going to the next one.

9. Andrew says

My ios5 iPad won’t download any apps from app store now. Useless.

Done a hard off

Any suggestions?

10. cheftony says

This situation is so not “apple like”…if it’s officially released, why have day one issues, it should just work.  This is why Apple products are so amazing, they just work, and make sense.  Now I’m downloading apps one by one, and will have to reorganize everything??  Bigger issues in life to deal, understood…but this is a bit wack.

11. wildmohican says

unfortunately the manual download from the online appstore only seems to apply to apps downloaded in the UK. I’ve purchased apps abroad and unfortunately they do not seem to be present on any of my back up systems, or online. Anyone else had similar problems?

12. Erin Sheldon says

I just downloaded iOS 5 to my iPhone. All of my 3rd party apps are there but none of them will open. Now what?

13. Don says

this IOS5.0 updgrade is appalling !!!! apple tried to tell me to use icloud to back up.
    Give me an auto app update for all my apps. Apple – You caused this problem You fix it!

14. Eddy says

I had exactly the same issue. After upgrade I lost all my 3rd party apps!!! After I restored from a full backup, iTunes can show the total capacity of all the apps consume, that means all the apps and data are restored back to the iPhone, but none of them will be shown up. After I manually downloaded and installed some of those apps, my data are still there in the apps, so that means all data are in the phone, but there is a bug prevent the app and data from showing up and working as before. I tried to press and hold the Home and Power button simultaneously for 10+ seconds to hard reset the phone, and then restore from the backup. I suppose this will revert my phone back to iOS 4.3, but it didn’t. This is so frustrating and I am somewhat dissappointed with Apple now!!! Why this problem happened so soon after Steve Jobs passed away?

15. Philip Nelson says

I lost a TON of paid for apps after the iOS5 update. I went to “Paid Apps” and they aren’t showing up there either.. Anyone else seeing this?

16. Applesucksballs says

Blah, gotta love apple – i didn’t lose any apps but none of them work after I made the iOS5 update on my iPhone 4 – so now what? I have apps that have my passwords and user data stored within them. None of them launch. As usual apple is providing us with shotty software updates that do not work.

17. AussiePearlJammer says

WOOHOO IVE GOT THE SIMPLEST ANSWER!!!!! NO NEED FOR ITUNES!

I updated to ios 5 too and my angry birds games were all saying “waiting” so this is what i done to get them working again and kept all my scores and stats still!!

1. Click the App store icon on your iphone (No need for itunes)
    2. Click Updates (although your waiting games will not appear)
    3. click “Purchased” at the top
    4. Click “All” at the top

now you will see all your games and apps, so click the grey cloud next to your “waiting” app/game and it should install again and say on your phones main screen “loading” now.

Hope this helps you too! :)

• Dane says

Aussie, you are the best.  Thanks for this info b/c it really helped I’m sooooo excited that I’m getting my apps back.  It’s taking a while but I’d rather have it take a while than get nothing back.  Thanks for knowing your iPhone.  Wow.

• illadella says

your suggestion worked but is there a way to restore the data (points/credits/levels) to the game apps? please help!!!

18. BrianFromEarth says

Same – everything restored on my phone except apps. The backup that the upgrade process did was useless, so I could only go into my purchased items in itunes and reload them. Apps restored, but no data.

Apple tech thinks this is due to antivirus software doing it’s job, that’s why only apps were affected, in my case anyway, so another thing to do for those who have not started the upgrade yet, disable your antivirus completely before you do the upgrade, also force a backup to happen as these are better than the automatic backups that itunes does on its own.  My data…Gone.

19. Pineapple_Punch says

All my apps have been missing for a few days, a few paid ones but nothing too major. I have downloaded new ones and tried again and now they are in a permanent loop of ‘waiting’ and then working for a while and then ‘waiting’ again. Tried the above commenters advice and actually found all of my old apps sitting in there but clicking install does nothing for the old apps missing or the new apps in ‘waiting’ and they are now just taunting me.

Continuous problems since updating to this iOS 5, I wish I had never done it. Wasting my time, money and effort.

20. Peter Hill says

I have spent the better part of the day and evening trying to figure out this mess. I can’t restore my apps or sync music. I can’t believe that Apple would release this sort of upgrade without some major “in-your-face” instructions. I am so upset with Apple that I can say that I will never buy another one of their products. I have never liked iTunes and it’s confusing interface, but this just is the icing on the cake. Android here I come.

21. Thundercub1 says

Who gives a rat’s behind about losing your “video game progress”!??!? At least you didn’t lose Contacts, Apps, Calendar, Music, and Photos, or, in the case of many others; ending up with a Bricked iPhone? Consider yourself lucky and quit whining!

22. KTJ says

Updates two days ago and no apps on phone. Connected back to MacBook last night and went to the apps section of the phone on iTunes and resynced all apps and they all came across straight away and with all saved data :-). Were a couple of screens over so initially thought it hadn’t worked but just had to look harder.

23. Davedhaval says

How can you told that it is solution. Everybody knows that If you lost any app you need to download it again. I need best solution to restore app and if it’s not possible then everybody download it again.

24. Rickysartin1995 says

My main apps got deleted like settings, music, contacts, safari, youtube and the all the other ones that are supposed to be undeletable and i cant get them back searched everywhere and seems like this hasnt happend to anyone…

25. Nakitaruffin says

I found my apps in the “purchased” section of my app store u just have to reinstall them

26. Jorgevoncool says

Thanks! My wife hadn’t set up her sync properly, little did i l know, when I updated her OS. This is saving me a little face. Cheers.

27. Jorgevoncool says

On another note, based on the comments here, my backup and install kept ALL of my app data without any problems at all.

I did lose the emails I saved to my phone though. No biggy. :-)

28. Bfbanda22 says

I want to know how do I put my songs that were deleted while updating back on to my phone

29. Brandon says

I cannot begin to explain how f****** pissed I am with this. I had everything on my iPhone and it is all lost.  All my notes, settings, etc…GONE!  And having to manually reinstall all my apps is ridiculous and the biggest waste of time.  Does Apple developers have their heads up their ass? I thought they were supposed to make this easy.  Whatever!

30. Lattenews says

Same problem… Updated my iPad… Everything lost. No contacts, documents, notes, photos etc. took EXTRA precaution when I finally got the nerve to update my phone. Before syncing, i made a backup thru itunes by right clicking the “tammy’s ipad” (when you plug in your device shows up). Made a backup without syncing. Saved all of my photos to a file on my computer, then deleted them off my phone (to make the backup process faster). Restored my phone to factory settings and then restored my backup. Thru iCloud I was able to sync my contacts to my iPad. The issues I’m having now… My phone is buggy. Sometimes the buttons don’t work (like when I tried to make a call today)… Had to reboot because nothing worked. Went into contacts and everytime I pressed the back button, it went back to the same contact, over and over. Another reboot. My iPad will not download new apps. Perpetual “waiting”… Yesterday they downloaded fine, today not at all. Connected to iTunes, went to each app and downloaded (again) no charge… Clicked the “auto download news apps” and synced my apps. They were on my iPad… But what a pain in the ass. Typing this on my iPhone… Found a new issue. Can’t select this text to save to notes (which I do as a safety precaution in case it doesn’t go thru… So I don’t have to retype) and apparently I can’t use my backspace button. When I do I have to hit “done” and then i can type again. I love the upgrade itself but not the issues I’m having with my iPhone and iPad.

31. Cathy_loveland says

No this is no help. I lost all my notes off my iPhone when I installed IOS 5 and can’t find them, they are super important and now I’m screwed

32. Keaton says

All my apps are on iTunes I tryed redownloading them but I get an error and they don’t go on

33. Agi_dreshaj says

fuck apple after upgrade to ios 5 im stuck on baseband 04.11.08 and lost all my files foto video apps cydia installous hate apple

34. Michelle says

What a freaking joke Apple!  Updated my Ipad only to have to spend forever cleaning up your damn mess!!  What a mission having to reinstall all the apps that I allready had before updating to your so called better version!!!  This should cost your pocket!!!

35. Infojackedbythissite says

I upgraded my iPad to iOS 5 and now it wont even turn on … Top of that my iTunes won’t even recognize that it’s plugged in…. And my new iPhone 4 which I payed a whole bunch of hard earned money for… Starts downloading apps … They say waiting and just disappear … So two devices worthless … Why apple?????

36. Smichaud says

I hope they plan on reimbursing me for all the customers that I cannot service because I’ve lost all the info on my calendar regarding service appointments…I am so mad!!

37. KageSora says

I’m considering myself incredibly lucky that my notes were saved, and my pictures, and my bookmarks, and a few other things.  But all my apps, gone.  I’m really pissed off that it overrode the backup I was sure to make (since I had this BS problem in the past).

I’m really glad that I can just put the apps back on the phone (and even re-sort ‘em before syncing), but I’m really pissed that the data’s gone.  Yeah, they’re just games, but damnit I had a fvckton of data from ‘em I lost.  D<

I feel way bad for people who lost really important stuff…  D:

38. Tini369 says

I’m trying to manually download them from my purchased apps and it just sits there and says, “waiting….” and does nothing.

39. James K. says

I updated my Ipad 1 yesterday to os5, now everything is gone! I can’t download anything from the store now either. All app downloads are stuck on loading or waiting, but I can access the store just fine as well as all other internet utilizing apps. I really regret doing this update!!!!! There should be a big WARNING posted to users before updating to os5.

• Staff says

Meticulously followed upgrade/backup instructions. Lost all my apps. No more iphones for me. Apple is too greedy, controlling and definitely not customer oriented.
      Instructions must be written to purposely screw customers. This is Jobs’ legacy…exactly how he wanted things done…Apple first, customers last.

• Jmensan says

Must be the most hated company of all time. Lost everything when loading iOS 5 and took me all day to recover most of it. Apps I cannot get back are ones it tells me I am not authorised to access even though I have gone through the authorisation procedure three times.
        Tomorrow I am buying an Android phone and selling this rubbish to some poor unsuspecting mug.
        Having worked on Apple 2′s in the eighties as a programmer I m disgusted the route Apple have taken to rip people off.

40. Jessicascoggins says

is there anything to do if all your music got earsed through the update and you cannot get it back?

41. Dodged Bullet says

I had same problem–highlighted device, then under top center of screen there’s a menu with “summary/info/apps” etc.  My apps were all still there and by ticking “sync apps” I was able to restore them.  All folders were gone, but were easier to re-establish than downloading all the apps again…

42. Johan says

Had the same problem and tried all solutions mentioned above without any success.
    The following worked for me:
    -  in Time Machine I went back to date before I’d installed iOS5
    -  in the Music/iTunes/iTunesMusic/Mobile Applications-folder I selected all my missing apps and restored them
    -  all apps were copied back to the current folder
    -  in the current folder I selected all the missing apps and dragged them to iTunes …. and voila, all the apps were there again

43. Vj22778 says

If you lost your apps, go to itunes on your computer and find for purchased section. You will find your all old apps and just click on download all. It worked for me.

44. Sheridin says

i lost all my apps too… after doing everything accordingly. Finally tinkered around itunes and found the “PURCHASED” link, click on that, and all my apps were there. Now downloading them. My only worry is the Pocket Informant, coz I have a lot of data in there. We’ll see…

45. SS says

I  lost all my apps but they were still in the iTunes folder. I copied that folder just in case and tried  syncing again. No Apps, BUT while I was connected and under the device summary I went to the apps tab and checked syn apps. It is putting all 67 apps back as I type.

46. Roudoo says

When I go into apps and press purchase it’s dating I have no apps I’ve lost about 50 of my kids games and can not retrieve them, please help all I pressed was update my I phone. Is there any way on resetting my iPhone back to how it was before. Where I new it was working fine. Help help and more help needed also I’m wanting my old email address back pleas iPhone novis needing help. Thanks to all

47. M Yeara says

I upgraded to iOS 5.
    The problem I have is that I selected the purchaded app that I want to reinstall but all what it says is that apps is been installed, but it never finish installing them.
    Could you help me.?
    Thanks

48. Rosie says

Even following the update process to the T made no difference…i backed up my info first, then sync’d, and then updated….all apps were wiped…even the restore from backup installed most but not all of my apps….i think that by now, Apple should look into this. Very frustrating indeed. What happened to the ez sync/ install new ios process??? Either itunes sucks or Apple’s standards are really dropping.

49. pissed of iphone user says

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THIS IS BULLSHIT! I DONT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT MY APPS, I JUST WANT MY NOTES AND PICTURES BACK CAUSE I KEEP MY WORKOUT JOURNAL ON MY IPHONE! its been stuck at syncing now for about 6 hours, and ive finally come to the conclusion that everything is completely screwed! :(

50. Hanna says

Hi, please help.
    How can i get back all my email. I have lost them after the installation of iOS5

Thanks

51. Nini 8 says

Okay people!!!!! I was incredibly lucky!!!! after updating my ipad I LOST EVERYTHING- all apps and data… was so upset but the minute i went back to the appstore, and clicked on purchased app, i had to manually re-download all my apps, but they all came back with data when reinstalling them…. so happy! thank goodness!!!! :D :D

52. Tasouter says

Seems I have joined the IOS5 hate club. I backed up my iPhone only to be highly disappointed that I lost all my app data. I did have my apps but no data. I have paid money on these games and feel really pissed that this has happened. I just bought an IMAC, not sure if I have done the right thing, trying to simplify my life. What a joke. I know its only games but this is really bullshit. I am not game to upgrade my kids iPhone.

53. Langeliw says

OK, this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever encountered. Isn’t Apple supposed to be the MOST update and with it technology???? I am soooo furious I could spit. I just updated my iphone and LOST a bunch of really important information. Who makes a program that does that?????? What a complete waste.

• Steven says

I share your frustration!!!! Sooo much information gone!!! Important information that I CANNOT get back

54. VS says

So frustrating to lose all of my apps. I paid for them and it is ridiculous that there is nothing I can do to get them back!

55. Texatom says

FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT IPAD IOS 5.1 and ITUNES. After following directions and backing up for an hour I can not restore. AGAIN FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT ITUNES! I will not manually restore and I will not buy anymore useless SHIT!

• Steven says

Exactly!! Fuck this bullshit. I lost EVERYTHING. Pictures of my girlfriend before she passed away included

• Lijrobert says

Why Can’t idiots like you understand, YOU NEED TO BACKUP PICTURES AND MUSIC. DON’T JUST KEEP PICTURES OF YOU FUCKING DEAD GIRL FRIEND ON YOUR FUCKING PHONE.

• Vince says

Let’s start with the one and only point you’re right about: keep backups offline from your phone.

Everything else you’re saying is more or less a statement of your lack of social capabilities.

1) You might want to consider not yelling at people
          2) You might want to consider using civilized words
          3) You might want to consider that apple actually uses the “we take care of everything for you” as a trademark, although not officially stated, it is part of their “whatever one might call it”
          4) You might want to try to live into other people and understand their feelings after losing such personal belongings
          5) Apple might have a much better feedback to the user with a small 5-10 points plan how to backup and secure information as a popup before one starts to update. 99,99% of the professional companies I’m using do that. the 0.01% that doesn’t is only 1 company:”apple”

Although everything in the upgrade worked fine for me, no loss of data, I did notice the lack of support for people who’re technically either not that advanced or simply forget things. For a company as apple, that sells very cheap technical equipment for standard to low qualities for a triple price simply for their “cult image” that they make it “easier” for the customer, they lacked very much about the easiness and help as well as upgrading feedback to their customers.

I’m sorry for the loss of your Girlfriend

56. Yeeey says

stupid automated fucking itunes, love the iphone as a device but really deeply HATE itunes, fuck that sob programm, feel like murdering.

57. Carlito4222 says

I just lost everything as well, and now I cant get it back, I did exactly what the site told me to do. I am switching over to the droid ASAP I will never buy an apple product again and I will try to discourage everyone I know from doing business with Apple, shame on you for promoting garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bobby says

take it easy bro, probably you have misdone it… It works just fine for me, like a piece of cake.

58. Scott says

Sadly I have joined the group. Everything is gone on my iPhone. Trying to use my iPad to restore my info manually.

59. Brad says

Updated mine last night and lost all APS. Will never buy another iPhone. THis is 2nd time this has happened.

60. Jennifer says

I thought I lost all my apps but I tried the Apps store purchased apps method and it works! Even all my messages on Wat’s App are still there! Thanks so much! :)

61. Zippy says

HELP. I jailbroke my iPod touch and then I upgraded. I’m having trouble getting back that jailbreak…? Please, if there is no way to get jailbreak on an upgraded iPod touch, how do I go back to the original?

62. Lisa says

This sucks – updated my son’s ipad (which is synced to my husband’s computer … he’s gone for months) – lost all of his apps and all his recordings of chinese lessons (over a year’s worth) … when updating it never said I would loose data nor did I said yes to sync with anything else. iTunes is truly the most asinine programs – lacking in online help & customer service! I never liked the iPad – so little which cost so much … always problems – f*****ed-up.

63. Kansan says

This did not work for me. When I clicked on the cloud icon the install button was grayed out since the device thinks that they app is already installed when it is not.

What to try next?

64. ay says

Thanks for your fix! I backed up, synced before updating and still lost everything. Other sites promised reconnecting and resyncing would reload missing apps. Not. This at least works though it takes a long time. Ug! Apple over charges for their products, then pulls this crap!? Really makes me want to buy another product from them.

65. Brittany says

Apple is full of complete shit all that time spent into my apps is now gone and i didnt even know before this fucking shit happened. I’m so pissed!!! NEVER buying a Apple product again!!

66. Snapple says

Lol than you guys should have learnt your lesson, never upgrade the iOS version without backing up your iPhone. Seriously, Apple needs to change this. This would really discourage people to continue using the iPhone!

67. Maddie says

Besides loosing the apps does the update have anything good to offer. I was planning on updating it but I wasn’t sure that if I lost my apps if it would also delete the ones it came with like youtube? Should I update it or just stay with the same software?

• Maddie says

From the looks of it probably shouldn’t but im use to Apple being pain in the ass due to loosing every single song on my Ipod Nano and I never got them back…so stupid!

68. Mike Brouwer says

iTunes is a total crock of shit. I also love the device, but have never seen a version of iTuneCrap that did anything but cause a major loss of time and data. Best example of pervasive shit software I know of. Strong message ot follow …

69. MTerry says

With the latest version of iTunes, there is a button on the bottom of the apps list that says DOWNLOAD ALL. You can download all your apps at once this way.

70. Adam says

whne charging my apply3 phone it sunced and I have lost all my apps and the phone went blanked how do I recover all of what I have lost pls
    A.M.Adam

71. Tim says

Agreed. iTunes is a P.O.S. period. I did a backup, sync, etc. upgraded to 5. and all apps gone, just freaking gone.

72. Andrew Magee says

Itunes is total fucking shit. What a joke. I backed up but have lost my email program and other apps which it won’t let me download as it thinks I already have them Total fucking shite. iTunes the worst piece of software ever.

73. D says

Well I just had my phone get bricked. Don’t know why exactly, but after repeated attempts at using the restore from itunes, which I agree is not very good, I was able to return most functionality to my device. In the App Store iPhone app you’ll see the Updates button at the bottom. If you tap that then you’ll see a Purchased horizontal menu choice. Tap that. You then are able to see all the apps you have ever purchased. You do have to select them one at a time, but they will download to your device. With the phone bricking I did lose a week’s worth of photos/videos which I’m not happy about, but not much can be done. I tend to back up the photos/videos outside of iTunes and just copy the folder over to my hard drive through an explorer window. Don’t use iTunes for music, etc. Hope this helps someone. Thanks.

• Zaraz says

Thanks a ton friend. I upgraded my iOS last night and found all apps and data missing. I simply could not sleep last night. Today morning, I found this post of you and now almost everything is in place..and my mind in peace. Thanks a lot !

74. Ardie4554 says

I upgraded my iPhone4 from IOS 4.2.1 to 5.1.1 last night (11July2012). But after the upgrade, I lost all my 142 apps but my phonebook, yahoo email, photos, messages and notes were successfully restored after the upgrade.

I was so disappointed that all my purchased and free apps were all gone, so I tried to use the “restore option” but I find out that this will only restore my iPhone4 to it’s factory default setting and kept the new IOS 5.1.1 but all my iPhone personal configurations, information, data and etc… will be cleanup after the restoration process.

I learned from Apple website that after the IOS 5.1.1 upgrade it will only restore all previous configuration from the iTune backup from your PC but all your personal apps will not be restored.

Check this Apple link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859

I googled “How to restore apps to iPhone4 after the IOS upgrade” since last night but I could not found with better direction to restore all my apps back to my iPhone4.

I was playing with the iTune in my Win7 laptop today when I notice that when I select “Apps” under the “Devices,Ardie’s iPhone”. It shows all my 142 apps but you can’t click on them until you place check on “Sync Apps”. When you select “Sync Apps” it will say something about restoring the apps but I’m sorry I forgot the exact message. Then I can select or unselect all the apps that I want to restore back in my iPhone. Then run “Sync” in iTune to start the apps restoration process.

Now I’m smiling again as all the apps that I need are now restored back to my iPhone.

I hope this helps.

75. Lilian says

Agreed, apples are just fucking thins up more and more. From easy things as sorting after album artists, to just synchronizing devices without ASKING the user. Deleting EVERYTHING from pictures, to music and recordings. Don’t tell anyone of us that we didn’t “back-up”. The problem doesn’t get solved when everything gets deleted BEFORE you are able to take that back-up, smart-asses.

I think apple-producers really need to reconsider the inconvenience of synchronizing units so it will be exactly alike the computer it’s connected to. I have more than one computer, so this is just as ridiculous as Spotify deleting every song and replace it with the SPOTIFY LIBRARY (which isn’t much since most don’t have lots of their own songs on SPOTIFY). Geez,

this is really unpractical.

76. Stef says

Same story here! All my PAID apps gone and I must buy them again…That is insane! I can’t believe they dare to do something like that. Last time I buy any apple product. Anyway Android is slow.y eating apple and surface is coming up.

Bye bye Apple you made your time and I hope people will stop paying indecent prices for devices that do not deserve it.

77. rachna says

can any one help me how can i get back the youtube app back??? it was a default app it was there when i bought the ipad

78. holland says

I spent so much money on apps and music they are all gone…. I’m so upset beyond words…. Hate I cloud where is it????

79. Aziz says

I was playing the game “Get Out” puzzle. It had 4200 levels. It took me 2 1/2 years to complete the 3000 levels with 5 stars. I lost the app as well as the game data.
    Cannot forgive this.

80. Loredana says

Its still happening. My daughter will kill me cause her ipod has lost all app data. Apple really does blow. Its just a big glorified Java platform and thats why all the headache.Hello windows 8.

81. Tim says

Has no one tried doing a restore from backup?
    If you right click the phone icon in iTunes when connected, you can restore from backup.
    iTunes will give you a list of backups, which have been created every time a sync is performed in iTunes!
    Hope this helps those that have thought they lost everything.

82. Lita indah says

I agree with you,some application I bought with real money,n I spent lots of money for the data plan for download free music&movies,because the technical problem I couldn’t backup the phone,so I thought I could get all the the purchased apps from my iTunes Store ID,then I made the phone back like the first time I bought(I lost every application which I downloaded),apple sucks!

83. Donatas Thomas says

Accidentally deleted important photos and contacts from your iPhone 5? Erased all data by restoring iPhone 5 to factory settings? Don’t worry. With Dr.Fone (iPhone 5), you can easily get back your lost files.

Watch Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUKwY2eGDLk

Dr.Fone for iPhone 5 is designed to recover contacts, messages, notes, safari bookmarks and more from your iPhone 5 directly even without backup. Besides, if you have backed up iPhone 5 with iTunes before data loss, it will also help you extract the lost from iTunes backup file of your iPhone 5.

84. Caryn says

I STUPIDLY upgraded to iOS 7 when I even posted here that I would wait.. I got suckered in by a family member ASSURING me all would be well. Well it isn’t! I lost ALL my apps, some of which I paid for, and I tried to restore from the back-up I made PRIOR to installing this new bullshit iOS, It FAILED. I tried restoring from iCloud.. FAILED. I tried then to re-install everything from iTunes.. Failed. iTunes stupidly thinks my iphone has all that I lost…well I don’t. I’m miserable. I read, and re-read every article on the net available to try and solve this problem…all FAILED. I re-set my iphone settings…NOPE, FAILED. I turned off my iphone and restarted.. OMG.. it showed all my missing apps, then POOF, like in a cloud of smoke.. ALL disappeared again in the blink of an eye! WTF???!!! I’m PISSED. I had an app that scanned documents.. I had NEEDED docs on it that I needed for a lawsuit I’m in the middle of… GONE. I backed that up as well. GONE. Great!! Thanks Apple! You ASSHOLE.

85. Tony says

I would recommend that Apple provide a quick tip sheet or a URL at the time of purchase or when you open the box to help limit some of these issues. I upgraded to the 5S and lost my apps as well. I did find a way get them from the back up via the iPhone iPhone store and click on Updates. All the apps that I have saved were in the section at the top called Not on This iPhone. I was able to quickly re-install the apps to the phone. This was better than using the Apple store front on the web which I find confusing. I like the phone and glad I made the upgrade. Just wish it didn’t make the app xfer as difficult.