HTC ThunderBolt Gingerbread Update Rolling Out Once Again

The HTC ThunderBolt Gingerbread update appears to have made its triumphant return to the airwaves, something that we expected to happen sometime this week, and it’s now pushing out to ThunderBolt owners.

I’ve heard from a few different people around the U.S. who were able to pull the update and I’m now seeing other places reporting the news so I think it’s safe to assume that we’re finally amidst another Android 2.3 roll out.

Let’s hope that HTC and Verizon got it right this time and have taken care of the bugs that have plagued the device ever since round one of the Gingerbread update was pulled.

HTC ThunderBolt

Right now, it’s unclear whether or not it’s an OTA update or it can be pulled manually. If you want to give it a go and try and pull it, all you have to do is, on your phone:

Settings>Software update>Check new

If it’s available for you, you’ll be prompted to update. If not, feel free to sit there and try and pull it for as long as it takes.

All kidding aside, I hope that the update goes smoothly and do let us know how it works out.

Comments

1. Donnie says

I’m tired of it to I have to carry two phones my tbolt and my iPhone4 my iphone4 last three days where my tbolt last maybe 8 hours what’s up have had so much trouble its a great phone looks great but battery life sucks and software is bull so bull HTC better do something way more than what’s been done I think a lot of people are done with HTC.

2. Paul Koulopoulos says

I read somewhere the its only an OTA update and that you can’t search for it manually….either HTC and/or Verizon have disabled everyone to search for the update through their phones due to the high demand for the download

• Gerald swen says

Has anyone actually had a successful search, Or did HTC and Verizon push the update to ya’ll?

• Fyn says

I pulled down the patch to Gingerbread 1000 hours MST.  I had Gingerbread installed from the last rollout.  was getting Service Unavailable earlier this morning.

3. Irmarytorres says

I called Verizon and they said its only going to be pushed to the phone. But she said for me to keep trying through software update. that don’t make no sense !!!!!!

4. Meika5 says

My phone did the update last night without any action from me. It just started vibrating for notifications and when I checked it was doing the update,

5. Eddie Yasi says

I’m like Meika5, my phone got the update around 9pm last night.  So far so good, but it’ll be a few days before I know if the reliability issues have been resolved or at least improved.

6. Peter A Moreno Jr says

Did any of you do the last update before they pulled it??? Possibly could it be another HTC error. Mine still says service unavailable. Never getting HTC again

• Gerald swen says

Yes I got it a month ago. I’ve had internet browser problems, battery problems, the phone freezes up, sometimes ill have to restart the phone and when it gets booted back up the battery level is half of what it was. The ear speaker sounds so distorted I can barely understand people I’m talking to. And this is the 4 t-bolt I have had since the phone release.

• Anonymous says

I got the initial Gingerbread update – had issues with holding 3G/4G settings, phone messages notification was sporadic to non-existent, phone freezes and had to restart the phone every few days… Yesterdays update resolved all that and the phone is faster and smoother.  I have had this T’bolt since the 3rd day they were available.

7. Tony says

I must be the only person to have a T-bolt that works. I got the first gingerbread update and had no issues, and the update last night came thru fine.

8. Dereck says

Keep trying it manually! It told me unavailable about ten times then it finally came through.

• James says

can someone confirm.  My updates are all off line.  My wife is at a computer without a camera, so not sure if the option isn’t coming up because she is unable to video chat, or if it was just removed all together.

• James says

Can someone confirm this? All my contacts are unavailable.  My wife doesn’t have video on her work computer, so I can’t test it.  Not sure if the option doesn’t show because she has no camera, or if it was just removed alltogether.

9. jer says

I have 3.2 from the pulled OTA.  I’m waiting for feedback from you people as to the second 3.2 OTA working before I try to update again.  My phone has been working fine with the last update so no hurry here.

10. Vile says

Downloaded the new update this morning. Now my phone makes a lock/unlock noise every time. Won’t turn off. Nice little bug.

• JayDub says

go into settings>sound>scroll down to where it says screen lock sounds & see if its checked ? If it is uncheck it & that should fix it.

• Vile says

Checked or unchecked doesn’t matter. It makes the sound regardless. Thanks though. Hopefully I can figure out another way.

• Thunderstruck says

It is the clock/weather widget not the unlock sound.  Have found no option for turning it off.  Seems to be a Gingerbread thing.  Sound will change with changing weather.

• Anonymous says

to turn off clock/weather sounds, click on the clock weather app to open, then menu->settings and uncheck sound effects

• Vile says

Wow. I’m an idiot. Didn’t even know the sense weather had a sound option. Haha thanks guys. I’m gonna go off and feel dumb now.

• Fynsidian says

Vile, I don’t believe weather sense had a sound option until this latest Gingerbread release.

11. Roger says

Please be aware that there are probably two versions floating out there depending on if you upgraded to GB in the last release.  Please note that if you already had installed the Gingerbread update from before, the new update that is pushed is only 18 mb.  I installed mine this afternoon and the update was quite quick and efficient.  So if you already have GB installed and had the voicemail issue, this patch fixes it (already tested it).

12. jd says

first update; working well–noticed it fixed a scrolling bug in the calendar.  nice.

video chat on skype works fine

13. Anonymous says

Installed the patch to Gingerbread yesterday morning (I managed to get the Gingerbread OS installed when it was first released .  The patch resolved the lack of phone message notifications, the download speeds are noticeably faster  (benchmarking at 14mbps downloads on 4G), phone touch response is faster and smoother.  I have no lockups nor hangups since this update.

14. Jake says

I had both the original and now the Noem update and I have had a problem with my ringtones not working right and my phone dialer is sluggish and sometimes not responsive and will have to exit app them reopen app to make call. Anyone else experience this?

15. 1fast05mustang says

Be patient. I got the update and its all good. My last update came a month behind schedule. Verizon sent me a refurb. and the day it came in, I finally recieved my update on my original instead of a blank screen or no service. Just updated 3 days ago and it runs smooth

16. Seeteedub says

after the second installment of the gingerbread update, is anybody getting a really horrible battery life? my phone is only lasting about 4 hours with a full charge.

• ShouldHaveGotTheIPhone says

My battery has been terrible. I need it plugged to a outlet at all times now. My drive into work takes about 1 hour and my battery went from 100% to 70% in that time!! Arrgh!

17. Gagar says

Battery life is worse since Gingerbread self installed last week. Also the ringtones are really haywire. Have tried resetting but they ring on the wrong contact sometimes but not always. I, too, wish there were a lemon law. This phone is more of a nuisance than anything. Dropped calls even after Gingerbread. Haven’t rooted or anything. Voice quality is sporadic. Since Gingerbread, the speaker on text messaging can’t find a server or so the message says when I speak into it.Also verizon tells me I have to reboot once a month or so to be able to access GPS. Which means, I must dig the battery out of the unfriendly case.
    Thanks for the hint about the new annoying opening sound which apparently comes from the weather program which hasn’t been working except for the annoying sound. Do I sound ticked off with this piece of junk???