How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, and iPod touch

If you have updated to your iDevice to Apple’s latest software update, iOS 5.0.1, and want to jailbreak your device, you have come to the right place. We’re here to help and we’re going to take you through the process, step by step.

The recent iOS 5 update fixes bugs associated with loss of battery life, brings Multitasking Gestures to the original iPad, fixes some bugs that have been plaguing Documents in the Cloud, and improves voice recognition for Aussies.

It’s a great update and even greater is that there is a jailbreak available right this moment in the form of Redsn0w.

JailbreakBefore we get started, a few things.

For those that aren’t familiar, jailbreaking frees your iPhone from limitations put on it by Apple and by the device’s carrier. And while it has been made legal, jailbreaking will void your warranty so keep that in mind before you take the plunge.

You can read our 5 Reasons to Jailbreak guide, and be sure check out the Top hidden Cydia gems and Top 5 Cydia apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Also, if you’re the proud owner of an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4S, this will not work. If you own an iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, or iPod touch, you’re in business.

If your device is supported and you’re still interested, keep reading.

1. Install iTunes 10.5.
  2. Connect Your iDevice to your computer and back up your files.
  3. Update your device to iOS 5.0.1.
  4. Download Redsn0w for Windows or for Mac.
  5. Open that file, select “Extras” then “Select IPSW” and point to the iOS 5 firmware file that you can download for your device right here.
  6. Select “Jailbreak” then “Install Cydia” and then go on through DFU mode and the jailbreak will install.
  7. Then, you’ll want to open Redsn0w with your tethered device, select “Extras” and then click on “Just Boot.”
  8. Enjoy.

Because this is a tethered jailbreak, you’ll have to open up Redsn0w and go to “Just Boot” every single time you turn you turn off your phone so keep that in mind.

A small price to pay for having a completely functional, jailbroken iPhone.

Via: Redmond Pie

Comments

1. Gaurav_2488 says

it creates a big problem for me …….because after install the ios 5.0.1 .there is no network or no service on my iphone3gs.so please help me

help me

• Asa says

The same issue here. I have a 3GS old bootrom with 06.15 BB.
      I’ve used Sn0wbreeze 2.8b11 to install custom IPSW, and them used Redsn0w 0.9.9b8 to hacktivate, enter in Cydia and install SAM, deactivate with Redsn0w and then installing Ultrasn0w 1.2.4.
      I had even reinstalled the 06.15 BB (also using Redsn0w) to make sure that the BB is not corrupted due to the firmware reinstall.
      No luck althought. Only No Service appears in my 3GS.
      I hope that this is not any kind of new trap that 5.0.1 puts to unlocking :(
      Praying that a new version of Ultrasn0w solves this issue….

• Raodildar says

Before installing ultrasnow install in cydia pushfix.info
        try it hope it will help you.

• Cfurman27 says

Wait did the jailbreak work because I have an iPhone 3GS on old boot room and that redsn0w does not support it? Please help me because your the one , I have a feeling you know?

• Matty Treo says

Please HELP.

I have exact the same problem. I live in Canada and use Fido Sim Card on a Rogers iPhone 3GS which I just upgraded it to the newest IOS 5.0.1. Yes I could manage to Jailbreak it in no time, but I have tried every single method and yet unable to UNLOCK the damn thing. I tried using different versions of the redsn0w such as redsn0w_win_0.9.9b8, redsn0w_win_0.9.9b7 and redsn0w_win_0.9.9b6.I tried every single possible options, ways like everything; But the damn thing doesn’t get unlocked. I am screwed. Please HELP..

• Matty Treo says

By the way, mine is also on “6.15.00 BASEBAND” on the “NEW BOOTROM”. And yes I tried re-installing the baseband few times.

2. Remon says

no it works just after you install cydia go back and select ipsw again from extras and then use just boot and every thing will be set

• Matty Treo says

I tried that over 10 times. I think your iphone either is not a 3GS or if it is, it’s on the OLD BOOTROM? Because mine is on the NEW BOOTROM and just doesn’t get service. No Service …..

3. Dedrickstyle says

jailbreak and install cydia first or select ipsw first??cuz i try to both of it….none of them works~~~is juz said unrecognize build and Fingerprint:)!#(*$*!#&$(#@&$)(@*#)…..

4. Mao Santos Capeding III says

the service is not available .. i upgraded my iphone yesterday and tried to restore.. but im stuck on the activating phone.. i dont have any sim from vienna austria to activate here in the philippines,, pls help

• Angel R says

You don’t need any sim just download redsn0w 0.9.9b8 if you’re on windows right click on the executable go to compatibility, select windows xp sp2 then check run as administrator apply, download ios firmware 5.0 not 5.0.1 run redsn0w click on extra select the ios 5.0 you just downloaded click on back select jailbreak, check deactivate put your phone on DFU click on next wait until the phone finish if you have a 3gs old bootroom it will boot straight up to the os after completion but if you have a new bootroom you will have to place the phone on DFU again right after it finish and select select the 5.0 ios and boot tethered then the phone will boot to the os, after that just finish the setup questions process and you will notice that it will bypass the activation and let you start using your phone.

• Maocapeding says

yeah i did it.. now my iphone turn to ipod touch … it really sucks because of no service.. my sim didnt recognized my phone.. please help

5. Masu says

After updating to 5.0.1 and succesfully unlocked it with Redsn0w, my 3gs iphone says “No service”… i installed ultrasn0w 1.2.4, i did the just boot tethered… nothing works… still no signal… can some1 help us with this problem?

6. Zaheer says

I have successfully jail broken my iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 Baseband 04.11.08, but I’m getting No Service & Carrier Not Available.

PLEASE HELP ME UNLOCK

• Saeedsky says

how did you do that because i need to do it too , will you tell me step to step how did you  do, please.

7. Vinc3_sk8r says

I also encountered this same damn problem, STUPID IOS 5.0.1 update, where’s the dev team? what are they doing? the last successful Untethered JB was 4.3.3 and its been a week and still no luck even tethered JB… pls dont release an Update JB if its not working … this is bullshit!!!!

• AlishiaBombardee says

if you want it so bad why dont you make your OWN jailbreaking software oh wait your too ignorant to understand all that so you should be grateful they are trying their best.
      you should support them instead of criticing them

8. Patricksarmad2 says

I have treid every method also the Deactivation method descreibed above but there is no way to UNLOCK you phone after you have stock updated you phone. If you tick Deactivation on Redsn0w you end up with an deactivated phone which will require activation from Apple server and without an original sim it will not activate.

PLEASE someone forward this problem to people working on the new version of Redsnow.

• Michelle_e24 says

nathaniel: to do this you would have had to backed up your device’s files in itunes. If you did, then you can restore everything from the selected back up. ( itunes usually autimatically backs up your device for you sometimes) so hopefully you dont have to start from scratch :O

• Michelle_e24 says

Lykz: because you have to boot tethered, which is not working for anybody because the IPSW is not supported by redsn0w :(

9. Fahadtariq01 says

PLEASE HELP ME UNLOCK

• Michelle_e24 says

fahadatariq01: what did u do to successfully jailbreak it?? because apparently the instructions arn’t working for me :/

• Fahadtariq01 says

I used redsnow 0.9.9b8 and used ios 5.0 ( not 5.0.1) and then jailbreaked and installed cydia… When ever it stucks on apple logo just reboot it with redsnow….but i m not getting service:-(

10. Anonymous says

Same problem as everyone else, no way to activate after the redsn0w JB… Been trying to hunt a way to downgrade firmware 4.2.1 without SHSH blobs but it’s proving fruitless :(

11. Scared out of his Mind says

HELP PLEASE HELP ME  MY PHONE IS NOT TURNING ON AND THE JAILBREAKING SAID EXPLOTE FAILED AND MY PHONE ISNT TURNING ON SOME ON PLESE HELP ME

12. shill says

basicaly it seems to be that anyone with an iphone 3gs who updated to 5.0.1 is stuck with a locked phone. how stupid! Now I have a phone I cant activate, as I dont have the original orange sim from the uk.

13. Andresloto says

hi there I followed every step but at the end it says “unrecognized built” this is when it is applying the reboot this is in an Iphone 4 iOS 5.0.1 no sim for activation any help?

14. DarkWestern says

I’m getting this crap where Cydia is a white logo. Someone else commented on this before and I followed the steps to their solution, but no matter what Cydia will not load.

15. Glaubzup says

i did allt he steps, but now it just say : please wait while your build is being identified. And i think its stuck, cause its been like that for a good while now .. plix help ;o

• Gimme Junkmail says

did you manage to get it out of the “please wait while your build is being identified” state?

if yes, how?

16. reegzz says

Done! worked fine. Make sure you try setting your 3GS as a new system, when it prompts. After jailbreaking, go to extras and select the iOS 5 file again, then JUST REBOOT and its like magic. :D

17. Simmons Chassen says

Well thanks you idiot for making most of us who thought this was 5.0.1 jailbreak. This is a 5.0 JAILBREAK. Make the change to the title!

18. Shaibi2010 says

for those people who have error or unrecognized firmware:

Download 5.0 firmware not 5.0.1
    do the jailbreak and at the end because its tethered jailbreak make sure u select the ispw point it to 5.0 firmware one more time and just click on boot device.

I had the same problem but after I did that it works perfectly

19. Maruf says

it worker for me. i am using iphone 4. :D

follow as its stated just follow the bellow part to overcome the reboot issue or those had jailbroke it but cydia is white:

1. DL firmware 5 not 5.0.1

2. do the jailbreak and select the ispw point it to
    5.0 firmware one more time and just click on boot device. (the last point state just click the reboot but without reselecting the firmware again it will not workout or have live cydia)

enjoy it like i am doing :D

20. johnny says

okay it worked for me but then all my apps that came with my ipod disappeared and so did cydia why is that?

21. Nabeelrafiq says

hello
    help me
    be4 my iPhone was 4,3,3 and jailbreak is working now i upgraded 5.0,1
    how i can jailbreak now and it will work on this
    is jailbreak release
    plz help me

22. Jsnl1999 says

Hey guys!! Found the solution if you got a message saying that ips file not working or whatever…fingerprint… all that stuff.

The file given is damaged or something. Go to a different website to get the ips file or search on google. If you get the message again, keep trying.. There is a whole chart of ips files on wiki. You might want to take a look at that.

Remember to use the 5.0 file.

If you have more questions feel free to email me at [email protected] (no, i’m not born in 1999.)

23. Robkreed says

Everytime I choose IOS 5.0 as the IPSW file the software crashes and Windows forces it closed. Doesn’t matter if I choose the IPSW file before I do the jailbreak or while I’m doing the tethered boot. Also… When I do the Jailbreak and do not choose the IPSW first it always says unrecognised build at the end… any help would be greatly appreciated. iPhone 4 GSM with update already done for 5.0.1

Thanks

• Poo says

@Rokbreed your a retard.

I’m assuming you never read the part about putting the program into comparability mode?

*facepalm

• Robkreed says

Wow Dude.. Don’t be so quick to judge. I am using a Windows XP computer to do this procedure therefore compatibility is already there… Are you perhaps suggesting that I should use Vista or windows 7 in compatibility mode and it may work better?

24. Robkreed says

Ok so I got through this Jailbreak. Turns out that using a Vista machine in compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2 actually works, even though a Windows XP SP2 actual machine doesn’t. Very odd. Anyhow, great info on this forum thanks for your help…

One more question though… Anyone have the unlock method down yet for an iphone 4 with 5.0.1 and BB 04.11.08? Thx

25. Janescully says

I downloaded the iOS 5 firmware file, when I select IPSWICH/firmware, jailbreak is not an option.

26. doubledog says

I have got a problem with my 3gs 5.0.1. as i try to jailbreake the phone (after choosing the ios 5 and after choosing yes or no for the “weeks” option (04 weeks)). When it starts the actual instalation after few seconds it stops and says ‘The connected device doesn’t support untethered options’. Is there anything i need to check or is there anything i didn’t do but was obvious??

27. doubledog says

Is it that my iphone is too old for this jailbreak software? IF yes are there any older softwares that may be compatible with this?

28. AvaC350 says

So lame :/my power button is broken (only way it ever goes off is to let it die), so I cant jailbreak my phone?is there any other way?

29. TONYZ666 says

I DUNNO IF IT WORKS BCZ I FOLLOWED ALL STEPS BELOW AND AFTER A HALF A DAY WORKING AND DOWNLOADING JAILEBREAK WAS INSTALLED AND I COULDN’T EXIT DFU MODE THAN MY PHONE STOP WORKING AND IT MANTIONED THAT IT NEEDS A SOFTWARE UPDATE

30. TONYZ666 says

CAN ANYONE HELP ME? AFTER I  I HAVE MADE  A NEW SOFTWARE FOR MY IPHONE VRES. OS 5.1 , I TRIED FOR A SECOND TIME TO JAILBREAK MY I PHONE BT IT DOESN’T WRK AFETR A ENTER DFU MODE IT SAYS THE (IDENTIFIED DATA FOUND) SO WHAT SHOULD I DO ??

31. Oscar Nangolo says

Please someone help. I have an iphone 3gs version 5.0.1 When i try to jailbreak it using redsnow it tells me that the device does not support untethered. Although the ipsw that i downloaded was tethered. please help, what should i do? or where can i go to download the right tools?

thank u in advance!!!!