Verizon iPhone 4S Boating Commercial Aims to Sink Sprint (Video)

It used to be that Verizon’s only selling point was its great coverage. Times have changed, now that Verizon has a host of high end Android phones and access to the iPhone 4S on launch, Verizon doesn’t need to rely solely on coverage.

But, that doesn’t mean our needs have changed, and it doesn’t mean that Verizon has forgotten how much we love good coverage for calls and data.

Sometimes, good coverage is even more important than tweeting and streaming Pandora, as this latest Verizon commercial illustrates. Below, you’ll see a humorous Verizon ad that shows six boaters bobbing in the water trying to call for help.

As it turns out, none of the Sprint iPhone 4S owners in the water can make a call, but luckily there is a Verizon owner along for the ride who calls in for help.

Whether or not you can really count on your cell phone, from any carrier, to save your sinking self when your ship capsizes will depend on your location, but cell phones have helped save several lives on lakes and coasts. Here are a few examples of how having cell phone coverage on the water has saved lives.

Obviously, keeping your iPhone dry would be an issue, so if you really plan on taking your phone out as a piece of rescue equipment, look at one like the g’zOne Commando or get a waterproof iPhone case.

It looks like Verizon phones and service are finally getting some worthwhile ads. Hopefully they keep it up.

Do you find the Verizon sinking boat commercial funny, or is it all wet?

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Did I miss something in the commercial?  I don’t see anything actually mentioning Sprint or any other carrier by name…so why do you pick sprint out?  I remember taking a cruise in the carribean a couple of years ago; and I made calls easily from sea on Sprint.  My friends on AT&T could not.  I’m sure hte same could be said for any of the carriers, depending on location.

• Anonymous says

That misses my point. The commercial makes no mention of any other carriers, so why specifically target one in the article?

• Scotty Braun says

Sorry JM_66,  I do agree with you on how the commercial does not mention sprint, so your right, why does he mention only sprint. I brought up sprint because it was mentioned.
          My point is just that sprint service isn’t really that good. Im an ex sprint customer, switched to Verizon and have had amazing service almost all the time, everywhere with them. And its true, Verizon is known to have the best service in the U.S. many companies have done fair tests amongst all the big carriers, and Verizon comes out ahead. I believe sprint is a good company, but since I’ve had Verizon I personally know they are better from experience.

2. Techkraut says

It is all wet. Sprint phones roam on Verizon. That means that your Sprint phones can make calls in all the same that Verizon phones can.

3. Techkraut says

This commercial does not apply when it comes to Sprint as Verizon and Sprint subscribers roam on each others networks. Their phones can make calls where either of the carriers have a signal.

4. Techkraut says

5. Mrmont says

I just saw the video and thought Verizon was bashing the iPhone, one of their own cash cows.  As mentioned above, know other cellular carrier is mentioned, so the commercial makes the iPhone look all wet – pun intended :-)