How to Delete an Event on the iPhone Calendar

The iPhone makes it pretty easy to add a new event to your calendar. Once added, the event will be synced to iCloud, Gmail or whichever calendar you have hooked your iPhone up to.

You can edit your calendar and events on your computer or on your iPhone. If you need to delete an event or calendar entry on the iPhone it can be a little tricky since, Apple has hidden the option off screen. Once you know how to do this, you’ll be set.

This guide will work to remove your iPhone calendar entry from the built in Calendar app, and should work with any calendar you have synced to your iPhone.

How to Delete a Calendar Event on the iPhone

Step 1. Open your Calendar

How to delete event on iPhone

Step 2. Find the event you want to delete, Tap on it.

How to delete event on iPhone tap on edit

Step 3. Tap on Edit in the upper right.

Step 4. Scroll to the bottom of the entry.

How to delete event on iPhone

Step 5. Tap Delete Event.

Step 6. Confirm that you want to delete the event from your iPhone calendar.

Congrats, you’ve deleted your calendar entry from the iPhone. If you are syncing with your computer or with Gmail, the event will soon disappear there as well.

If you just need to move your calendar event, you can do that from the edit screen, to cut down on the extra typing that you need to do.

For more tips on getting more out of your iPhone, check out our how to section, where you’ll find a collection of iPhone how to articles.

Comments

1. Jen says

When an event was sent and accepted from someone else’s calendar, say Outlook, the “Edit” button is not there and there doesn’t seem to be a any way to to delete it or at the very least, edit the reminders. THIS. IS. A. NIGHTMARE.

• Jenna says

There is an edit button when you click on the Accepted section (mine comes up with my email) then you can only edit by adding attendees. I think you can delete an event as you are creating it, but once it has been saved and plans change, I can’t figure it out.

• Crestlopez says

I had the same problem with my iPhone. If you go to your setting on your phone, then Mail, Exchange and Calendar there is a button you can turn off.

• Kobus says

While adding another Yahoo account on my phone, i saw an option to turn off calender.
        I went to my account setings/setup and saw the same 3 options: calender; notesand something else. I turned the calenders of and BINGO, that solved my problem.

• ann bassaeab says

Thank you. That one event was on my calendar from now to eternity. I shut off the calendar and the account – and now it’s gone. Big help

2. TG says

If you create your own calendar event you will see the EDIT button, but if you accept an invite from somebody or use a calendar service like TripIt, then you don’t have the EDIT option. Very frustrating.

• Michelle says

Frustrating…puts it mildly!
      Did you ever find the solution to Calendar Events without the option to delete?

• guitarsquire says

I agree with TG…if you didn’t crate the event but accepted an external invitation you don’t get an EDIT button option. I asked the invitor to delete my invitation which removed it but if you cannot do this I can’t see how you can delete the calendar entry. There must be a hidden cide for this? Does anyone know?

3. Brenda says

Thank you!  I spent a ridiculous amount of time this morning trying to delete an event and getting frustrated.  Didn’t think to scroll down.  Aargh.

4. Sarah SKinner says

Ok…I was invited to an event by my daughter that we had to change. I can not delete off my phone. She deleted it off her but it is still on mine. There is no option to scroll down and see the delete…there is no edit button. Anyone?

5. amr says

i just have a prob in deleteing a calendar event on my iphone 4s coz when i press the butoom delete on the even it syncronize again and appear the event again, i just want how to stop sync and how i acutally delete the event.

6. Abbas says

I had the same problem and this is the solution. If you subscribed to an event or someone sent you an invitation to add events to your calendar and you want to delete it from there. All you need to do is go to Settings on your Iphone then go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. and you will see the event your subscribed there. Tap on it and scroll down and hit delete. It worked for me. A friend of mine sent me soccer games schedule and I tried to delete it from the calendar and I couldn’t so I played around and thought that maybe there is a way to reset the calender at the settings and there it was. I hope this will help you guys.

• Sarah Skinner says

Well…it finally deleted because I got to the event and passed it. But really when I went to setting on the phone there was no option to delete. And yes..I scrolled all the way down.

But it is gone now. Boy…once you accept an invite it REALLY wants you to be responsible to go!

• Judy says

It didn’t work for me. I went to Mail Contacts and Calendars. I do not see an events listed/

7. Keith says

I have been having the same problem and finally figured it out. Like everyone else I was looking for a ‘delete’ or ‘edit’ option but it doesn’t exist. If you select the event and change availability from ‘busy’ to ‘free’ it will then delete from the calendar. Whew!

8. Kobus says

I cannot delete calender events that has a repeat on it. I created a daily repeat for a reminder to do something on my iphone 4 and there is no option to edit it. Any ideas what to do now?

9. Lindy says

I was having a similar issue that was just as frustrating! Mine was people’s birthdays in my calendar. I don’t want random peoples birthdays in there that arn’t close friends or family and there was no ‘Edit’ option to delete them. This irritated me for weeks before i realised that if someone sends you a contact and you save it to your iPhone address book, if their birthday is in their contact info it saves to your calendar so to delete these birthdays from my calendar I had to edit and delete from the contact in my address book!

• Alan says

Thanks Lindy, it was driving me crazy how to delete a birthday entry.. You saved my marbles…

10. Judy says

I can’t delete a calendar entry because there is NOT an edit button any place on the page. What’s up with that? There are some I can delete, but others no.

11. Gomedog says

Thank you Lindy!!!!! I was having the birthday problem too until reading your solution!

12. Donna says

Lindy,
    Thanks so much for your help. I was frustrated not being able to delete those birthdays.
    Great work =)

13. Petite says

I have been trying forever to delete calender entries that others have sent me and therefore have no Edit button. The way to do it is to delete (or amend) from iCloud, remembering the device has to be synched to iCloud.

14. Lisa says

Im having the same issue with deleting a calendar item but Im also having an issue when someone sends an update to the meeting invite. The invite comes in to my email, I select the calendar invite (which normally adds the item automatically to my calendar) however, this does nothing. So even though I recieved an update to the invite, it’s not sync’ing with the calendar so the calendar reflects the original meeting time, not the adjusted. SO SO frustrating. At this point, my calendar is worthless to me becuase it’s not correct. Help! :-)

15. M says

I am unable to delete a recurring event on my calendar that no longer needs to be there there’s no edit button there’s no edit button, availability, there’s no delete button there’s nothing and I have absolutely no idea how to get rid of it. I actually don’t even know how it got there because I didn’t put it there

16. Brian says

This worked for me give it a try, to delete a Birthday entry in the Calendar, go to your phone contacts, select the individual whos Birthday you wish to reomve, scroll down to birthday and delete from there, worked a treat.

17. Jude says

First thing to do to get rid of unwanted, repeating reminders in calendar is to delete the event in your gmail calendar. After doing this, you will be left with the events that you actually want. Next, on your iphone go to settings, mail, contacts, calendars, select Gmail under the accounts heading, and then turn off calendars. When you do this you will delete ALL events from you iphone calendar. After you do this, turn it back on and you will be left with everything in your gmail calendar (minus the stuff you deleted).

18. Shana says

Thanks Jude!!! Finally a clear solution that actually worked! Although Apple should have made it as easy to delete the events you’re invited to as it to delete events you create.

19. Dan says

Solved it, went to settings, mail, then turned off the calendar for my gmail account before turning it on again. Fixed!

• Michele says

Thank you so much! I has a recurring reminder for 2:30 in the morning. Turning calendar off and then back on got rid of it!!!

20. Andrea says

Figured out the easiest solution. On the calendar select “list” at the bottom, then touch “calendar”, top left, then uncheck “Facebook birthdays”. The events that you manually put in are still there but the synced one are gone.

21. Ella says

I discovered something about this stupid calendar . . . . I have an app called awsome note that connects with iphone calendar . . . and I was able to delete all of those event that has no edit or delete button… It works… Maybe if you have other memo apps that connects with calendar that will do too

22. Brittany says

If you click the event and click “decline” it will ask you if you want to save for that event only or if its a repeating event it will ask if you want to save for all of the similar events and it will disappear

23. Alexander says

My business agenda which I store on my iPhone Calendar app is fairly predictable. I add and delete events on my iPhone calendar directly from my laptop as I find it more efficient to organize my iphone calendar in this way. To add/delete appointments, I use this: (http://www.copytrans.net/copytranscontacts-calendar.php ).

It essentially accesses my iPhone Calendar app so that I can make real-time changes to the iphone calendar from my laptop.

24. Brain says

Huge FAIL for iPhone 4: there is no EDIT button for events sent to me by others. I even turned off my Yahoo calendar hoping that would remove the event from my iPhone 4, but that didn’t work either. Once it is in the iPhone, it is there to stay, apparently.

I had to delete it at the Yahoo website calendar. It still left a little red ball and line on my iPhone 4 calendar showing something was there.

25. mike says

I figured out how to remove facebook birthdays from the iPhone calendar. In the iPhone’s settings (usually within the Utilities folder), go to facebook, then slide calendar and contacts to OFF, then hit update all contacts. Now all the facebook birthdays no longer exist in your iPhone calendar.

26. Q says

I had THE hardest time trying to figure out how to delete an event (not a birthday, just a weekly reminder) that someone sent me in my calendar. There was no edit or delete button for this event, as I had not created it. I turned my calendar off thinking that would help and it didn’t. Finally, I logged into my Yahoo email from my computer, clicked on calendar and there it was. I was able to right click and delete the event completely. What a pain in the….

27. Ali says

Add a new calendar to where work home calendars etc are. Now go to the very first entry of the event. Add this event into the new calendar by unchecking ur current calendar and add it to the new one you have made. This takes it from your everyday calendar and puts it alone in the new one. Now you can delete the whole new calendar thus removing the event for good

28. Debbie says

Login to your icloud account and click on event and you can delete it from there. The reason it wont go away is due to it being synced on your icloud. I just did it and it is gone!! So glad!

29. Jocelyn says

OK, I changed the status of the recurring event I was forwarded to Free (at the very bottom of the entry. Than I went back into the calendar entry, scrolled to the bottom and clicked Decline. That works!