How to Solve iPhone 4S Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 Errors in Absinthe 2.0

The iPhone 4S jailbreak tool for iOS 5.1.1 isn’t without some problems.

Namely users are getting cryptic iPhone 4s jailbreak error messages such as;

“Hmm… something seems to have gone wrong… trying to recover”

and

If you follow the Chronic-Dev Team’s instructions to reset the iPhone from Settings, you may have seen this message.

Update: Added two more jailbreak errors and clarified final steps.

Update 2: Absinthe 2.0.1 released to fix some errors.

How to Solve iPhone 4S Jailbreak Errors in Absinthe 2.0

Thankfully, you can fix these iPhone 4S jailbreak error messages in just a few minutes by restoring the iPhone 4S on your computer.

1. Open up iTunes.

2. Click on the iPhone device name in the left side of iTunes.

Absinthe 2.0 iPhone 4s jailbreak error fix

3. When the iPhone settings page opens up, click Restore.

how to fix iPhone 4s jailbreak errors

4. If you have already backed up your iPhone and you are doing this after receiving the error there is no need to back up the iPhone again. Click Don’t Back Up.

how to fix iPhone 4s jailbreak errors step 3

5. When prompted, click Restore.

6. iTunes will download iOS 5.1.1, even if your iPhone 4S is already running iOS 5.1.1. This is normal.

7. Let the restore process complete.

8. Once the iPhone 4S shows up in iTunes go through set up as a new phone on the device until you are at the home screen.

Now you are ready to jailbreak.

iphone 4s jailbreak 5.1.1

Open Absinthe 2.0 and follow our instructions on How to Jailbreak the iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1.1 Untethered and you’ll soon enjoy a jailbroken iPhone 4S.

This same process should work on other Apple devices which get the same errors in Absinthe. I was able to follow these instructions to complete the jailbreak in a matter of minutes.

Turn off Passcode

If you have a passcode set, you may need to turn it off for the iPhone 4S jailbreak to work.

Turn off VPN

If you have any VPN settings enabled, turn them off as well.

Let us know if you experience any other iPhone 4s Jailbreak errors.

Thanks to readers Panduh and fcn for the tips.

Comments

1. Bruno says

Thanks! It worked! But I have a quick question. I backed up my iPhone, then I restored it as you telling us…ok. Now I have Cydia..cool. But, I dont have my main information (contacts, pictures, txts, etc..) How can I recover all that and still keeping Cydia?

Regards,
    B

2. Dome says

Update 26.05.2012: Some are having issues with the Windows version, so here is a potential fix.

Error – “Recovery completed.If you want to retry jailbreaking, unplug your device and plug it back in” Fix:

1. Backup your device

2. Restore your device and DO NOT unlock your device after the restore

3. Set it up as a new iPhone/iPad/iPod

3. Let it finish syncing/setting up

4. Open Absinthe and jailbreak

5. Now you can also restore from backup

• cl604 says

To reiterate what Dome typed here are the steps again to upgrade to new IOS 5.1.1 (make sure you have done the custom IPSW if you want to preserve your baseband for unlock) and jailbreak with Absinthe.

Steps for Windows:

1. Back up, Back up, Back up, make sure you also back up your apps to itunes by highlighting your iphone under the DEVICES in itunes then right click -> transfer purchases

2. Open latest redsnow -> Extras -> Pwned DFU

3. Power off your iphone and follow instructions in redsnow

4. redsnow will let you know you are in DFU mode and then you can minimize or close redsnow

5. open itunes and a dialogue box will show up saying you need to restore your phone since it is in restore mode

6. hold SHIFT and click on Restore

7. double click on the customized IPSW (make sure file name is “NO_BB_iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore”)

8. itunes will ask again if you are sure about restoring to that file

9. let itunes do its thing and don’t touch your iphone until it automatically turns back on and nothing is happening in itunes

10. Follow initial setup by accepting location and wifi

11. Skip the Apple ID step, set it up as a new iPhone and phone will start

12. Open Absinthe then unplug and re-plug your iPhone to click jailbreak in Absinthe

13. Let Absinthe do its thing and phone will restart and you will see Cydia! Jailbreak is done

14. Open itunes and then “restore from backup” then your phone will go back to the way it was set up and also double check to make sure your baseband is the same.

15. That is all! Good luck and follow exact steps please!

3. kstew says

Yes, worked for me. But phone had to go through the set-up procedures before I could jailbreak it. Now, I can restore from my back-up.

4. DReeves says

Tried to back up and restore but i keep getting error 3194 even after i upgraded to the newest version.

5. Rodney says

Ive ran the jailbreak several times following the directions but it will not JB. I don’t see cydia on my home screen. I have unplugged and replugged in my phone and re-ran the JB but it still goes back to my regular screen. I even wiped my phone as recommended and ran the JB program. What am I doing wrong. I am on 5.1.1 also.

6. andre says

hey guys, just make a back up then restore it as new on itunes, then set up like a new phone and its gonna work

7. will1565 says

Hello all, I seem to be having the same problem as Rodney above. I’ve run the install several times but its seems to do nothing to the phone, no cydia nothing. Some help would be great

p.s. im using a 3gs

8. Bighairedaristocrat says

i keep getting a java 314 error that causes absinthe to crash within about 30 seconds every time. i updated my windows7 64bit pc to the newest version of java. and retried everyting. any idea what is problem is and how i can correct?

9. Love to jailbreak says

I have been waiting for this jailbreak to be complete for an hour and a halp. Both phone and ipad are stuck on Sending initial jailbreak data

10. melo says

i have ipad 3 and when i tried it the first time on MAC i had the result “Recovery completed. If you want to retry jailbreaking, unplug your device and plug it back in.” What i did was i transfered to a windows xp pc and dfu’d (i had LOCKDOWN error -5) and restored and jb’ed on a pc!before that i had just jb’ed my ipad (1) too.

11. iPhone 4s says

Having trouble with this still even after the release of 2.0.1. Im running ios 5.1.1 on the iPhone 4S and it continues to be stuck on waiting for reboot – not done yet. I have tried multiple procedures to fix this including the one stated above and nothing is working. I have been around jailbreaks since the first iphone and this is by far the most useless one created yet. I went ahead and tried my iPad 2 out and it worked fine on that so I am assuming there is a major bug problem because it will not throw the device into restore mode.

12. tony says

Hey guys I was trying this morning and getting the recovery error and as recommended I tried to do a Restore in iTunes and all of a sudden I recevied an error and iTunes isn’t recognizing my device. I’m stuck in recovery mode and I also put the phone in DFU mode and iTunes still did not recognize it. Help please!!!

13. John says

I am getting the same error on both mt IPhone and IPad 3 error, cant install sbsettings. It keeps showing the downloading packages, and goes forever. I have used the 2.0.1 from Absinthe. It takes a lot longer to install anything? The errors are http/1.1 500 Internal Server Error. Any help will be great, I did expect some glitches but hopefully someone has the answer. Taking a long time to install on Ipad 3, still downloading Packages.

14. Derek says

This isn’t my error, my error is absinthe is the wrong like for jail breaking iOS 5.0.1 not 5.1.1..so I don’t think it’s possible to jailbreak ups 5.1.1 on the 4s as of now still

15. Marvin says

After JB all my default apps on my iphone 4s 5.1.1 are now gone and I can’t restore (3194 error)…. Please help!!

16. Jason says

I already posted this in the “lockdown” topic… but here’s some useful info that worked for me

For those that want to use an iCloud backup, but also jailbreak… Restore the phone in itunes, then go through the whole activation process. Once it finishes restoring settings and goes to your home screen, go to settings and turn OFF Wifi AND Data, this will essentially put your phone in limbo, as it wont be able to download all your apps. Also, if you use a VPN and it restored with your iCloud backup, delete it! You can always set it up later. Jailbreak using absinthe 2.0.1, and then reenable wifi and Data. Cydia should pop up. tap on an app, and it should download the rest of your apps

17. Carlos says

Marvin, I have the same problem with my iPod Touch 4G, some apps dissapeared including Cydia, and I cant seem to restore! I’ve tried a few things… I’ll keep trying.. did you find any solution to your problem?

18. Iman says

help ,iphone 4 s ,5.1.1 ,when using it , it give me error : you need to activate your device first ,what i do

19. Bruce says

My winter board does not work it only will change the background i do not know what is wrong with it ive tried re jailbreaking it many times and it does not fix the problem please help

20. Kkhud Gabbar says

I cant upgrade my iphone 4s to 5.1.1 from itunes and even directly from cell..
    After few minutes of download it shows ‘downloading error’
    Tried many times but same result.
    Any help?

Iphone 4s
    ios 5.0.1

• Gene says

I kept getting the same result with my Iphone 4. Also 5.0.1. Did as another poster suggested. Plugged in phone, turned off Wifi and Data, and then did restore. Finally restoring. At least got past that step. Hoping to get everything back but for a min thought that I would just need to wait for the next iPhone :)

21. Daniel says

Absinthe 2.0.2 won’t recognize my iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Even did a clean restore & update. Jailbreak button not highlighted. Please help.

22. Johnathan says

Followed these instructions and finally got it jailbroken, but now Cydia won’t launch. The screen flashes black and that’s all. Any advice for me? :)

23. Mitch says

I’m having the same problem. Absinthe doesn’t recognize my IPhone 4S or IPad 2 even after a clean restore. Please help

24. Vlad says

I have jailbroken my phone (iPhone 4s, IOS 5.1.1) using assinthe and now I can’t install apps(cracked or original).Help please!

25. josh says

NO MATTER WHAT I DO, IT STILL SAYS MY IPHONE 4 running fresh 5.1.1 IS NOT SUPPORTED!!!!! WTFFFF??????

26. Mark says

I have problem while jailbreaking iphone 3gs using absinthe 2.2 and 2.2.
    After clicking the jailbreak button, and then waiting for a while, suddenly the absinthe program crashed.. i’ve tried to jailbreak again but still the same..

Any suggestion regarding this matter?

I have no problem jailbreaking iphone 4 and 4s.. only i’ve encountered this problem on 3gs model.

27. Cristian Lund says

Helloooooo!

I´v got a Special Problem!!!!

When i add a Source I get 1.5000.******** errors but the source is added but when i try to install infinityicon I just get errors and it won´t install.

I´v done Exactly as u guys recommended. .

Any One—- Help!!

28. qriusme says

When I jailbroke my phone when it was 5.0.1 it worked fine. but with 5.1.1 it didn’t work, and I got errored out multiple times. I restored since I had a full backup, but I almost freaked out b/c then my phone would not activate. Only after hours of retrying did it work. I’m going to stay away from jailbreaking for awhile. I have a sprint iphone 4s.

29. deepak lal says

I have jailbroken my phone (iPhone 4s, IOS 5.1.1) using assinthe and now I can’t reset my phone.Help please!

30. Jenay says

Ok, so Ive tried to jailbreak my iPhone 4 about 10 times and it gets to “sending initial jailbreak” and then says theres an error or absinthe crashes…help?!

31. Joko says

I followed this guide to JB my iPad 3 but Absinthe 2.04 keeps saying “something must have gone wrong…”.

32. Joko says

2 days spent and at least 20 times restored iPad 3 to fresh 5.1.1, tried all sort of things like removing the Apple line from my hosts file, entering DFU mode. I’m fed up guys. I’ll take a break now.

33. Joko says

Forgot to say I’m trying to JB my iPad 3 using Absinthe 2.04 on a PPC Mac and getting the “something seems to have gone wrong” error. Could it that you can’t JB using a PPC Mac, even though Absinthe runs on it?

• Chris says

I’m trying on my 4s with 5.1.1 and using a power pc on leopard and it gets the “something has gone wrong error” i have tried restoring 5.1.1 and reseting and still nothing. anyone got a solution?

• Joko says

After one week trying to JB my Ipad3 by all means using my Powerbook G4, I finally went to an Internet Café. Could not use Absinthe there cause you need to run it as admin but I used Redsnow and jailbroke it in a matter of minutes.

34. john powell says

my iphone4s has lost he baseband due to jailbreaking. and will not go past the start up screen now . how do i fix this ?
    please help me :[

35. Dan says

Since jailbreaking I can not send picture messages to anyone. Will the new Absinthe fix this?

36. Farrah says

After Jailbreaking my phone won’t open the settings application. I have JB’d it twice and after it’s done it can’t open the settings application.

What’s wrong?

37. Kevin Rodea says

for everyone having Absinthe crash during initial jailbreaking, restore your ipod/iphone/ipad and when it asks you to restore to a specific backup or restore from earlier just set up as new ipod, go through initial setup then try jailbreaking, after it finishes just restore to old backup. Hope this helps

• Curtis says

i have sort of an issue, it doesnt appear i have any prior back ups saved and recently i plugged my phone while jailbroken to my pc main itunes act and it synced a few files, i try to restore because all my apps keep crashing even after the restore

38. Braxton says

I am definitely having the issue stated in this article and have run through the process to jailbreak the iPhone 4s. I have no VPN and I have turned off Wifi when i’m done activating my phone being that I back up through iCloud (this was rumored to work) and not my computer which I have previously while trying to jailbreak, which also didnt work. I am running a 2005 Powermac G5 on Snow Leopard (is it because im on an old PPC?), my iPhone IS on 5.1.1 (9B206), and I am trying to use Absinthe 2.0.4 (which I’ve heard that 2.0.1 works better, but cannot find it).I have searched many sites (been ignored) and still cannot find a solution to this aggravating problem. PLEASE HELP!

39. Aben says

Hi,
    the Flash led alert for calls is always active, even if it is deactived in the settings, after the JB of my Iphone4s.
    Any advice to turn it off ?

40. Albert says

Hi I tried everything, but I can’t install cydia in my Iphone, I followed all the instructions but when the absinthe is in the middle the Apple logo appears and dissappear again, I waited the jailbreak is install, restart the phone but Cydia is not install, can you help me with more ideas or ways to solve these problems??

I have 5.1.1 y absinthe 2.0.4

Thx for your time!!

41. Montassar says

hello everyone.
    i tried to jailbreak my iphone 4s unlocked with gevey SIM abd every time it should restart the iphone shows me activation required and it just stop there.

can any1 give me ideas plz.

42. Steva says

PLSSSS HELP ME!!!!! I have 4s freshly restored on 5.1.1 but i dont have the original sim and jailbreak wont start becouse i cant activate the iphone it sas iphone must be activated???? What dp i do ??? PLS PLS HELP

43. saim says

44. Curtis says

question, my apps keep crashing after my jailbreak for my 4s on sprint, 5.1.1 , i plugged my device into my computer to restore it but it started syncing and now every back up has the jailbreak when restore. apps still continue to crash and battery drains rapidly without anything running. is there anyway to clear the jailbreak out and start over?

45. Blake says

i just downloaded the absinthe v 2.0.4 and jailbroke my ipad 2 perfectly fine but when i plug in my sprint iphone 4 and go to jailbreak it it says it is an iphone 3,3 will there be any problems if i jailbreak it anyway or do i have to uninstall then reinstall absinthe to get it to read it as a 4?????? please help!!!!

46. Leo Jimenez says

Can please someone tell me what to do,after jailbreak my Iphone 4S,and installing some application.now my iphone hang and all the buttons not responding and only apple logo appear on the screen?

47. Ryan says

48. Ryan says

When trying to reset my iPhone after it crahsed being jailbroken it will turn on but only to the apple symbol and have the loading spinning thing but won’t go any further.. I tried connecting it to iTunes but it won’t pop up . What should I do?? Please help Me

49. Kieren says

Itunes can not complete the restore process. It just sits on 3/4’s way! Any ideas on how to completely restore my phone??

50. Jackie says

I try jail breaking and wen I get to the point where it says do you want to restore phone to factory settings I click yes and then at the final process of the jailbreak it says on my phone could not activate to server please try again later. So I tried turning on and off and it remains the same until I cancel the jailbreak after wen turning on and off takes me to the activation screen. How can I fix this problem that seems to be isolated to only wen jailbreak my phone?

51. wilkins says

when i clicked on cydia it said it was setting up files, then a loading screen popped up, and then went away and now i have no calling, txting, app store, or any communication. nor is cydia there, what do i need to do????

52. Phil says

I Jailbroke my iPhone 4s running on 5.1.1 yesterday. Cydia works and some of the things I download work as well but now some of my apps (mostly games) wont open. the screen simply flashes really quick then, nothing. I have restarted the phone (multiple times) and restored from backup through iTunes. Any suggestions? Thanks folks.

• msrl says

try to to delete one of your “not work” app, then reinstalling it via appstore directly from your phone…

53. msrl says

could someone help me…ive jailbroke my iphone w/ absinthe 2.0.4 and it works…but…
    in my 4s 5.1.1 apps crash repeatedly. ive searching it in google, some post said that its running out of memory. i just checked in sbseting and ive installed omni stat to check my RAM,, and its true, my memory is draining faster from it start (about 300mb) to 250 after i refreshed the phone (without apps opened), when some apps opened it draining again to 50-10mb, does this memory affected to this crashes? but sometimes when app crash, i see my sbsetting, memory is still in 250mb…

ive tried to :
    1 uninstall all cydia addons (for un-compatible-able addon)
    2 restore my phone
    3 re-jailbreak my phone
    4 factory reset, and re-jailbreak my phone
    but didnt give some effects…

it doesnt happened in my friends iphone 4 5.1.1…. why this happen? does 4s have an unstable memory or….? please…need some advice or suggestion…thx :)

54. joe says

So i do just like described but cannot connect to cydia ever and tells me its already Jailbroken untetherd just a vicious cycle

55. Liam Knuj says

I managed to install Cydia after the Absinthe procedure for 5.1.1, and installed Mifi ap which I believe caused a hang problem with the wipe and restore setting…so I cannot get to restoring from icloud. I can restore from iTunes. I noticed the tether control–gives spinning flower symbol. i removed this MiFi App and no change. turned off Wifi and network…no effect. Removed Mifi…no change When trying to restore on iphone 4 from general setting, it starts but hangs. Cydia works fine and I can install aps–some of which don’t work, but I can’t restore from iCloud. My iTunes restore is not an option because I have an old account that would not transfer to iCloud. Some other Cydia aps are not working. I am trying to delete all Cydia aps now, but I’m not hopeful.

Be warned. Do not install any Cydia apps after installing Cydia. In particular, I believe that MiFi is the cause of this hang up. Restore you phone first.

Also back up your phone to iTunes, and be sure to back up to the same account you use for iCloud.

Any advice would be welcome.

56. dustin says

Trying to jailbreak 4s with 5.1.1. but keep getting error message: could not connect to AFC service. How can I fix this?

thanks

57. Bethanie says

Hi can anybody help me ? I’ve just got a iphone 4s and I’ve put my sim card in but it doesn’t have any signal what so ever. Anybody help ?

58. terra says

I jailbroke my iphone 4 with greenpoison and when i turn it on it goes directly to the search iphone screen and it wont let me slide to other screens so i cliced the home button and it took ,me to the home screen but there are NO APPS! so i double clicked the home screen and all of the apps are there and they work fine, but how do i put them back???? help please!

59. Michael P says

My iTunes won’t even open. When I try to uninstall, it still shows in my programs window. And when I try to download again, it gets to 1% and says errors occurred during installation. Could this be the effect of jail breaking my 4s?

60. Justin espino says

I have already jailbroke my iphone 4s. . .then i updated my ios to 6.0.1. . .then i found my iphone not working. .it says connect to itunes but my itunes is not reading my iphone. . .is there still a way to solve this problem? Thanks