iOS 6 Coming to iPhone 3GS

Apple has announced iOS 6 and it will be coming to Apple’s iPhone 3GS when it gets released later this year.

Many iPhone 3GS owners may have been worried that iOS 6 and its 200 new features including a new Maps service, Facebook integration and more would not be coming to the device but Apple says that the software will indeed be headed to the aging device in the future.

It’s unclear if it will leave out any features when the software arrives. With iOS 5 there weren’t any significant features left out so iPhone 3GS owners should cross their fingers and hope for the same from iOS 6.

The iPhone 3GS is three years old now with two other iPhones, the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S succeeding it.

iOS 5 has been hit or miss for iPhone 3GS owners and hopefully, the experience is up to par with iOS 6 considering all of the new features that will be coming with it.

While iOS 6 will be coming with a ton of new Siri features, they won’t be coming to the iPhone 3GS as Siri is only available on the iPhone 4S at the moment.

In any event, this is big news for iPhone 3GS owners, especially those that just bought the device. The device is still in-stores and likely will be for the foreseeable future.

Apple still has not announced a release date for iOS but we assume that it will be out when Apple announces the next iPhone, presumably the iPhone 5, which is rumored to be out this fall.

Comments

1. William S. says

Well, looks like the 3GS got screwed. The main selling point, the 3D maps and turn-by-turn navigation, are only available on the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 and up. Sucks to own a 3GS.

2. Johno says

@yuvraji, you wish that your 3gs was faster then a 4…. Im amazed the 3gs is getting ios6. 600mhz processor and 256mb ram is not cutting edge anymore. ios5 crippled my 3gs so I sold it and got the 4s.

3. Frank says

@johno the iPhone 3GS is actually about the same speed as the 4 only a few seconds diference because the retina display demands a lot of the phones power. I don’t know why your saying ios5 has crippled iPhone 3GS because for me it’s very fast on my 3GS just make sure you download ios 5.1.1. Obviously you have been brainwashed by apple to only buy the latest products

4. Dean says

Are all apple users are so dumb as to constantly insult users of older apple devices
    Are you all mentally retarded ?
    and guess what I use an iPhone 2g.. You mad?

5. Jane says

Well said Frank and Dean, what is it with people they are brainwashed by Apple so much. I use the 3gs and its a great phone its works great with 5.1 with no problem. And who want siri anyway? Oh yes I remember people who are to lazy or stupid to put their head out the window to see what the weather is outside.

• Jose says

Or at least watch the news or something. I have a jail broken iPhone 3GS with Siri installed. I rarely use Siri.

6. eric says

The iphone 3GS is still a kick azz phone! That Apple would still release this newest update for it should tell you something. I have siri on my 3GS, but it is not a “must have” app if you ask me. :|

7. Lelopidas says

blip…text my wife…i ll be coming home for …eh…wtf…no siri on my 3gs? And how will I TEXT MY WIFE using my VOICE …TO TEXT (?) MY WIFE? Sorry Apple but my new phone will be a nokia with a 41 MP camera to shoot my wife…

8. Fr33zty14 says

My 3gs has siri, & 3D maps
    Im running ios 6 beta & already installed 3D map fix & siriport debs off the internet, it still runs fine & dandy, but i wish to sell because iphone 5 comes out in a few days

• Jonnytrickz says

I have 3gs, where can i get Siri, and even 3d maps fixes from, any tips/links or names ?