Google Now Available for Droid RAZR, RAZR MAXX & ICS Devices
Don’t want to wait months for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to deliver Google Now to the Droid RAZR, Droid RAZR MAXX and other Android 4.0 devices, interested users can install it now.
The Google Now app is available for rooted Android 4.0 smartphones running AOSP based ROMs and is available to install on many devices in a matter of minutes.
Google Now is a new assistant type tool that links all the things Google knows and observes about a user into a single app to deliver sports scores, traffic conditions, weather and more.
Google Now also allows users to ask questions similar to those iPhone 4S owners ask Siri, though Google Now may soon be able to control device functions.
The folks over at xda-developers have cooked up a working Google Now app for devices running Ice Cream Sandwich, and while Voice isn’t working just yet it’s a good way to give Google Now a try.
Here’s a video of Google Now on an Android 4.0 phone.
To install the Google Now, first root the Droid RAZR or RAZR MAXX and install an AOSP ROM. Xda-developers provides directions to root the RAZR and RAZR MAXX.
Download the Google Now app for Android 4.0.
- Install Root Explorer on the phone and open it.
- Open /system in Root Explorer.
- Tap on ‘Mount R/W“.
- Scroll until build.prop is on the screen.
- Press and hold on build.prop, when a new menu opens tap on “Open in Text Editor”.
- Search for the following line ro.build.version.sdk=15 and change it to ro.build.version.sdk=16.
- Tap on Menu and press Save.
- Navigate to /system/app and press and hold on GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk.
- Rename the file to GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk1 or a similar file name to back up this file.
- Reboot the phone.
- Install the Google Now apk file.
- Repeat steps 5 – 7 to edit the build prop file back to ro.build.version.sdk=15.
Enjoy all the benefits of Google Now without the wait for Jelly Bean Android 4.1.
Users who would rather not go through this process should check out our Ultimate Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Upgrade list to find out when their phone will get Jelly Bean.