Verizon Galaxy Nexus Among First to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

According to Google, the Sprint and Verizon Galaxy Nexus should be among the first devices to get the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update.

The company has announced that the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update roll out has begun today and the first device to receive the update will be the Samsung Galaxy Nexus HSPA+, the model that Google is selling through its own store.

In the announcement, Google also referred to several other devices who seem to be on the cusp of getting the upgrade to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

Specifically, Google mentioned the Nexus S and the Motorola Xoom tablet, as well as the Nexus 7 tablet that is set to debut in just a few days.

Read: Jelly Bean Makes Galaxy Nexus Faster, Smoother & Smarter.

In addition, Google specifically stated that “all Galaxy Nexus” are next in line for the upgrade to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. We assume that this means the Samsung Galaxy Nexus’ on both Sprint and Verizon.

This is incredible news for Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners who might have thought that Verizon’s device would be getting the update at some point further down the road.

The Verizon Galaxy Nexus should be among the first to Android 4.1

After all, this is a device, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, that didn’t receive its first update until five months after it hit shelves for purchase.

So while nothing is confirmed, Google’s declaration is, as of now, music to the ears of Galaxy Nexus owners on Verizon who are looking forward to all of the things that Android 4.1 Jelly Bean has to offer.

Read: Wait for Verizon Galaxy Nexus Android 4.1 Update Release Date Begins.

The update, which was first announced at Google I/O in June, promises to bring a number of improvements to Verizon and Sprint Galaxy Nexus owners when it arrives.

Android 4.1 Jelly Bean will come loaded with new features for widgets, a predictive keyboard that will allow for easier typing, and it will also feature offline Voice Typing.

That’s not all either. It’ll come with Google’s powerful new Google Now tool, better Voice Search, a faster user interface, and overhauled notifications.

We’ll let you know when we hear something concrete about a release date Galaxy Nexus owners.

Comments

1. Kevin says

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem likely to fix all the shortcomings the GNexus has….like not being able to use it as a phone.

2. dirt-kid says

Short comings? Even on 4.0.2 mine still worked well. Since 4.0.4 its been flawless.I travel for a living,reception never a problem.cant wait for jelly bean

• jon says

i traveled and no it didn’t, it didn’t shift from 4-3 and back at all, it burned a battery in 2-3 hours of minor use, it crashed all the time………are you dumb or a google employee?

• derp says

Some people had good devices right from the get go… My phone worked just fine on 4.0.2, Yes it had occasional reboots, it dropped data occasionally, but it functioned perfectly fine as a phone.

3. genisis cole says

I have had no issues other then the battery with me using it for multiple applications . Hate and content is rampant these days. Its a phone note the ten comandments.

4. jwhoov says

My Verizon POJ is still troublesome. I suspect it has just as much to do with Verizon and their network as anything. The problem is that it drops calls, it has trouble changing from 4g to 3g and back. It is frustrating from the perspective of being a phone. Otherwise it works OK.

5. Occam49 says

Best smart phone ever when it got it. Loads of features and apps, near flawless reliability, fantastic screen, great feel in the hand. If the G3 tops this, and based on specs it does, the G3 will be the new king.

The only thing bad about this phone … Verizon’s update support.

6. leo says

My galaxy nexus ran smoothly when it was on 4.0.2 but then the upgrade to 4.0.4 happened and now I have issues for example it reboots 2-3 times a day and it loses connection when it goes from 4lte to 3g the only common issue I had on both was the battery. I have the extended battery and listen to music or watch videos on my way to work and by the time my hour commute is done my battery is down by 50%. I hope jellybean fix these issues