Official YouTube App Arrives Just in Time for iOS 6 & iPhone 5 Launch

Google and YouTube rolled out an updated and much improved YouTube app for the iPhone today.

The new app takes the place of the YouTube app which is no longer included in iOS 6.

Apple removed YouTube from the iOS 6 beta 4, and is likely to leave it off the final version of iOS 6.

Read: iOS 6 Release Date & What to Expect

While many users are fine using Safari to watch videos, the new app delivers a better mobile experience. The video below offers a look at the new app and a walk-through of the YouTube app features.

From a presentation standpoint, the new YouTube app is easy robust and it’s quick to drill down to the channels I subscribe to.

YouTube iPhone App iOS 6 iPhone 5 - 4

The new YouTube iPhone app.

When searching, they’re app will offer autocomplete suggestions making searches faster and more accurate.

After I find a video I want to share, the YouTube app now offers better sharing options, including the ability to copy a link to the clipboard.

YouTube iPhone App iOS 6 iPhone 5 - 3

iPhone YouTube app share options.

This is a huge feature for users like myself who want to grab the link to a YouTube video to share in a specific app, like Yammer to a coworker, or who just want to use their default Twitter app to share.

YouTube iPhone App iOS 6 iPhone 5 - 1

Users can still upload from Photos.

The app doesn’t include an option to upload to YouTube, but that still exists in the iOS 6 Photos app and in iMovie, so users don’t lose the ability to share videos. Hopefully an update adds the option to use the YouTube app to upload with some default category settings. Users can see their uploads in the app

The YouTube iPhone app is available free in the App Store.

Comments

• Haywood says

I’m not surprised it “looks like crap” on your iPad. It’s written for iPhone! Just because you can’t read or filter Apps by device doesn’t make it a bad app.

• Antonio says

You are an idiot. Obviously this is bullshit, apple makes great products but they are not invincible and they have severely inconvenienced a lot of people with this. Get off your knees and see the truth.

1. Stephanie Kahn says

I totally agree! IS there an ipad YouTube app anymore?? We certainly need one. I hate using iphone apps on the ipad.

2. Bring back the original YouTube for iPad says

I agree with everyone all the YouTube app for the iPad is so shit. That app was the only good one and I am a YouTube crazed fan and I am so regretting installing the iOS 6. Is there a way of taking it off with out it deleting anything?

3. marcus hickson says

The favourites have been transferred to a bookmark folder in safari. But it’s a pile of crap compared to the old YouTube app. I should have been warned about this before being conned into downloading the new os. Boo apple you have seriously gone down in my estimation

4. Rakeem says

I fucking hate that my old YouTube app is gone.

This new shitty YouTube crashes A LOT. I need my favorites back, I don’t want anymore glitches or force closing. Bring me back my old YouTube.

5. Henry says

It is shit I’m researching how to go back to iOS 5. Wish I knew this before I “upgraded”

6. Mixalich says

I hate this iOS 6 it’s stupid , why would you remove main app that people use to watch and share videos .. No common sense .. Apple give us back youtube on iPad I just paid 800$ for it what’s wrong with you ?

7. Allan Whittaker says

iOS 6 crap apple don’t take the p,,, put our apps back as they where you had a good name but will soon lose it

8. Sally says

Apple is going the wrong direction with this. YouTube is one of my most used apps. I gpt the Jasmine app, but it’s not nearly as good. I want YouTube Back!

9. Lou B. says

As a casual user of YouTube, I do not miss the YouTube App on my iPad,with iOS6 as much as you avid regular users of YouTube on iPads.

Question why are all the YouTube videos I am trying to view all require Flash….is this part of Google war strategy since they own YouTube, Android and Motorola?

10. Garazo says

I should have never upgraded:( anyway that new youtube app for ipad sucks tbh. Should really make a better one asap!!!! Plz

11. Vanessa says

I miss the original built-in Youtube app. That was perfect! The substitute YT app sucks bigtime on an iPad. An iOS 6 update is suppose to better the performance on devices, create more built-in apps BUT NOT removing essential and popular built-in apps. Why can’t the giants Apple and Google just get along and make your consumers happy instead. Whatver their issue is, we, the consumers are the ones affected. Boo to you both!

12. Emilio says

As an archaic existence in this world, that is to say, a completely tech hexed soul, the situation of which you speak regarding the sudden and surprising loss of the you tube app subsequent to the upgrade has been the most heart wrenching, distasteful, rude event to which I have ever been a party.

13. Jelqko says

Addintionally to the above, the new youtube app doesn’t fit the ipad screen. It is terible and i don’t beleive how nobody hasleft that as a comment. Moreover it does’t rotate when the pad is being rotated.

14. Lola says

I can’t find youtube app in apps store, how can I download it? I want my youtube back!!!! Without Youtube I pad is nothing for me!!!!!

15. Andy Rauch says

Certainly making me rethink my future plans to purchase more iPads. If they are not going to support the most common apps, and I think youtube is certainly one, why would I waste my money? Looks like the beginning of a downward spiral for Apple. As the owner of a rapidly growing business looking into our future needs, I don’t see Apple in them at this time.

16. Paul Harvey says

I think Andy Rouch said it is just well is it can be said. Like most of the other Apple owners of the iPad who are thoroughly disgusted with Apple for removing YouTube from our service. If we can’ t get YouTube back since we down loaded IOS 6, how can I remove IOS 6 from my new IPad ? The main reason I updated to the new IPad was hoping for a bigger and better YouTube.

When I purchase a product with it’ s application I feel like the applications belong to me, since I purchased them and then have my favorite program removed with an update, as far as I’ m concerned that’s paramount to stealing from your customers.

Apple you are the largest company on the planet now, but where will you be if several million of us Apple fans switch to another brand of IPad . I understand Samsung has one almost identical to yours. At least the law suit said so. Thanks.

17. Val Marie says

I cannot find an official YouTube ( by google) app in the App Store on my iPad 2! My service provider is Rogers and it just doesn’t show except apps such as ‘Best of YouTube’. Is there anything I could do to download YouTube?

18. Jim rapalje says

Every freaking video says ” sorry, this video is not supported by your device” that is total BS ! Apple pisses me off. As said above, the answer is the tried and true capitalistic way. No more purchases of Apple. There will always be alternatives. Steve Jobs….turn over in your grave cus your old company sucks, now.

19. lucy says

Terrible what a disgrace upgraded and lose You tube. What a cheek, bought iPad with the app now without a warning it is deleted. Very poor bring You Tube back NOW

20. B.Owen says

What abunch of fakesyou are Apple, you portray yourself as the alternative option to Microsoft the multinational with a concience a ffing joke more like. Sort out this naziesque stealing of a brilliant app which everybody expects to work on a very expensive Apple device. You have made millions put it to good use.

21. Shaks says

I agree with all the people…….this change to iOS 6 reallys sucks. I not only lost my favorite youtube but also all the books I had downloaded and without youtube none of the other players work without “Flash” am disgusted that we the consumers have to suffer because of the fight between these two Giants!!!!! No more iPads for me. Will get Samsung next. Hate you Apple!

22. Babster says

Lemmings the lot of you. I of course have apple products but its just a technical gadget, not an alter from which I worship jobs and the rest of the apple nerds. They’ve taken the piss for too long, time for a change. Vote with you £ & $ and go elsewhere

23. Pete says

the youtube app for iphone5 truely sucks. I want 720p vids at the minimum and no black rims. This is unusable, plain and simple. Im really shocked that this wasnt a bigger deal among the official reviewers out there. It’s obvious that youtube is probably the most used app out there, and this was mentioned in a bi-sentence if it was mentioned at all among all the reviews i read before buying this phone.