Passbook Cannot Connect Error Frustrates iOS 6 Users

One of the newest features of Apple’s newly released iOS 6 is called Passbook which turns the iPhone into a mobile wallet for items like tickets, loyalty cards, coupons, and gift cards. Problem is, many iPhone users can’t get the feature to work.

Update: How to Fix Passbook Error in iOS 6.

Earlier today, I got iOS 6 up and running on my iPhone and excitedly, I opened up Passbook trying to poke around and give the new feature a whirl. Unfortunately, I, like many others who have written in, can’t do anything beyond look at Passbook’s introduction screen.

passbook1

Passbook has arrived with iOS 6.

When I click on App Store, which rests below all of the features that Apple touts for the service, I am given an error where a prompt tells me that my phone can’t access the App Store.

It looks like this:

passbook2

We have heard from many other users who are having the same issue and can’t seem to access Passbook at the moment. Our editor Josh Smith, who is using the iOS 6 GM on his device, is able to access Passbook. However, it appears that many those who installed the consumer version of iOS 6 simply cannot.

Our own Shawn Ingram is able to get access to the App Store on his iPhone running the regular old iOS 6 but he claims that the application is extremely slow.

Read: How to Use PassBook in iOS 6.

At this point, we’re not sure why some people are getting errors and it’s unclear if there is a workaround. Thus far, I haven’t managed to get beyond the error screen.

Passbook, while in its infancy, will likely take off once airlines, stores and amusement parks start adding passes to Passbook. Right now, there are only a few companies that have compatibility.

Those include:

• Fandango
  • Live Nation
  • Lufthansa
  • MLB.com At Bat
  • Sephora to Go
  • Ticketmaster
  • Walgreens

Unfortunately, at the moment, many iPhone and iPod touch users can’t use those apps with Passbook.

Comments

1. Justin says

If you go into the settings and change the date on your iPhone to 1 year ahead ie 2013 it will work. It’s a useless app though because you still have to download all the other apps too.

2. HB says

Go to Settings>General>Date and Time>Set Automatically>Off. Set the date one year ahead. Try to update the apps again. If you get an error message, go back to the settings. Correct the date and time (set automatically) then go back and try to update the apps again.

3. Todd says

That totally works….

After you change date to 1 year ahead, hit the button in the Passbook. You can immediately close out, go to settings, switch Auto back on. When you go back to Passbook it will work fine.

4. Bobby says

Seriously the time thing worked i dont know who figured out that little bug but your good and i do woner how you found that

5. Sally says

I did exactly what someone on here said. Changed the date and it worked. Then I changed it back, and it STILL works. But there really isn’t much in there…

6. Brandi says

What is passbook suppose to look like after you complete this “date” fix? The error message doesn’t appear, but I’m nto sure what I’m suppose to be seeing.

7. Mike Taylor says

The time/date trick didn’t work for me. I have tickets in my Ticketmaster app and several reservations in the United Airlines app (both apps updated with Passbook support today), but can’t figure out for the life of me how to get the tickets to show up in Passbook.

8. Natalie says

I set it to Sept 22 of this year and it worked. My guess is that it is not set to launch until the iPhone 5 is officially available.

9. NeneJDM says

I got great new!!!! Go to settings & change the year to 2013 then open passbook & it will work just fine then go back to settings change the year to 2012 & it will be working just fine!!!

10. fphaze says

here’s the fix for passbook can’t connect to itunes error message. Go to Settings>General>Date and Time>Set Automatically>Off. Set the date one year ahead. Try to [update the apps again or press the button from Passbook]. If you get an error message, go back to the settings. Correct the date and time (set automatically) then go back and try [again]

11. Bob says

The date thing totally worked. Just manually set the date to 2013 then go to the app click on the bottom button and bingo it works. Then go back to settings and change back to 2012 then set it back to getting time automatically. Then back in passbook the store will still work. Simple and yet apple could not figure it out?? Geez!

12. Erick says

using iOS 6 on iPhone 4 and the time fix doesn’t work for me… Anybody else have another workaround?

• Jenny Jayne says

I’m one of the unlucky one’s too where this work around doesn’t work…let me know if you figure it out..

13. mcrubio says

I changed the date and it worked as far as no longer getting that error. But passbook is not loading any info. I have installed new apps and re-installed previous ones but nothing…any advice?

14. It works! says

People, go to setting>General>Date & Time>turn off the set automatically>set date & time to today’s date and 2013>go to passbook>app store>Now it should work because it worked for me>If so, go back to date & time and turn on the auto time.

Hope this helps!

• Sandra L. Dore says

It doesn’t work for everyone. Some are lucky. Now I can’t even open Facebook!!!!

15. Lmm says

I’m trying this on my new iPhone 5 and it STILL didn’t work. The date work around is not working. Frustrating!!

16. Julie says

The work around did not work for me either. And, the problem is not isolated to passbook. At least not for me. I cannot access the app store at all. When I try it says ‘cannot access iTunes’. I see a restore in my future….annoying!

17. Doesn't Work says

The godamn date thing never worked for anybody. It’s inane in the first place, just lots of nerds getting off on the hoax. Hint: when you see responses like “OMG it works perfectly”, especially s dozen or do, you know it’s BS.

• Sandra L. Dore says

The date change helped me access the App Store but not Passbook. And still sometimes I get the ‘cant connect’ message , ignore it , I click ‘ok’ and when you get the blank white screen you have to push the gray buttons at bottom of App Store to get it to load ! OMG Frustration!

18. Lee Pipes says

me too…not working.. i spoke to the technical support people but still they couldn’t fix it. so frustrating. this is worse than the problems in blackberry

19. Nick says

I turned my phone off over night and it fixed this problem. I don’t know if it was a coincidence or if it really fixed it though. Worth a try, though.

20. Jeff Richecky says

I was getting the same error as well. I didn’t have to do anything with the date in order to fix it. After I did the new update, it signed me out of my Apple ID in the App Store. After I logged myself back it, Passbook loaded just fine with no error message. :)

21. Stevie says

I tried changing my date to 2013 on iphone 4, so thought wtf and tried a random year 2020, now its working? Still working when i changed the year back manually