How to Fix Facebook Cannot Upload Photos in iOS 6

After updating to the latest software, some iPhone users cannot upload photos to Facebook, encountering a lock screen telling them, “This app does not have access to your photos and videos.”

Users that see this message in the Facebook app in iOS 6 won’t be able to upload photos to Facebook from the Facebook app, though the new Facebook Integration still allows users to post photos from the Photos app.

This guide will show users how to fix the Facebook cannot upload photos error so that users can upload photos from their Camera Roll to Facebook.

Facebook Photo Upload Not Allowed Lock Icon - 1

Facebook won’t upload photos, showing a lock icon on screen after iPhone update.

The problem is that some users may mistakenly deny Facebook access to the Camera Roll when it asks the first time. The new iOS 6 privacy settings prevent apps from accessing Photos and contacts without explicit permission. If a user tells Facebook not to access the camera roll they will see the Facebook photo upload lock screen shown above.

How to Enable Facebook Photo Uploads in iOS 6

If the Facebook app will not upload photos from the camera roll, close the app and go to settings to fix the problem. The new IOS 6 Privacy settings menu allows users to control what apps can access photos and more. We’ll turn on Facebook’s access to the camera roll. These same directions can enable app access to photos and other information if an app says it cannot access photos or contacts and points a user to Privacy Settings.

Open Settings.

Facebook Photo Upload Not Allowed Lock Icon - 4

Open iPhone privacy settings.

Tap on Privacy at the bottom of the screen, some users may need to scroll down to see the Privacy menu.

Facebook Photo Upload Not Allowed Lock Icon - 3

Open Photo privacy settings.

Tap on Photos.

Find the Facebook app in the list of apps and slide the toggle to On.

Facebook Photo Upload Not Allowed Lock Icon - 2

Slide Facebook access to On.

Some users will see multiple apps here, don’t be alarmed if there are no other apps on this screen.

After turning access on, check to make sure Facebook can upload photos. If the app prompts, allow access to the camera roll, but it should be good to go without asking.

Users will see similar prompts when using apps that access location, photos and contacts in iOS 6. This is part of Apple’s new plan to allow users to control their information better. If a photo app or social network app asks for permission to access Photos on the iPhone , most users will want to say yes.

If a game asks for access to contacts or other information, the better answer might be No. Some apps may try to gain access to contacts or location for purposes most users wouldn’t like. When an app asks for permission to access contacts, photos or location stop to ask if it really needs access to this information.

Comments

1. dan says

Thanks! but i tried this and after tapping on photos no apps show up, zero, no Facebook, Instagram etc… all i get is a message:

“Photos stored on your iPhone may contain other information, such as when and where the photo was taken. Apps that have requested access to your photos will appear here”

thats it, no on or off switches or apps icons!

2. Bhushan says

Go yo General–> Restriction and enable the restriction . Then you select photos and turn on the facebook . That tricky but worked for me

3. Mikael Malmquist says

But what do I do when there are no apps that have tried to access the photos? The list is empty even though I have tried uploading photos in both Facebook and Instagram….. Annoying it is!!!

4. madison monson says

All of my settings are correct – but if I see a photo in my facebook feed from my iphone, the “save” button is no longer located in the bottom left hand corner. The only button available is “Done” in the upper right hand corner. Is this a FB or an iphone issue?

5. Sarah says

I can’t upload a new album to Facebook as the + is no longer on my photos ! Help please x

6. Christina Saling says

When I used to save a photo from facebook, like something funny, or a picture from a friend’s post, it no longer saves in my Camera Roll on my iPod touch 4th gen. When I press on the picture, I can “save” it, but it does not show “saved” and is nowhere to be found. Where are these pictures going? Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

7. A T says

Thank you SO MUCH! I have been fighting with my phone for weeks! I have found hundreds of people complaining about the problem, but you actually showed how to FIX IT! Kudos!! AT

8. Sarah says

I had to choose a random picture on fb, open it, touch and hold to “save” it into my pictures and THEN a thing popped up saying Facebook would like access to your pictures. Now I can upload pics and it shows up under my privacy settings like it should. Hope this helps!

9. Kim says

I have followed all of the instructions above even the last post by Sarah but I still get Cannot post to Facebook the post cannot be sent because the connection to FB failed. I have every thing turned on. What else can I do?

10. Shaylynn says

Thank you! I was freaking out, it wasn’t making any sense. First it said to change the settings from a computer,but that wasn’t working.

11. cristy says

hi everyone, having a problem with the new iphone 5 after i upgraded to the ios6, i can no longetr post pics to my news feed on face book. i have fixed all the settings to where they need to be, i have uninstalled and re-insralled, shut down my phone and i still can npt upload any pics from my iphone5 to my newsfeed on facebook. anyone know how to fix this

12. jose says

thanks a lot for the help, i was trying to repair it from the app, and it was not until now that I was able to correct it. Thanks a lot for the help.

13. Ketrina says

I have a problem changing my cover photo. Ever since I updated my iPhone 4, the photo icon is missing on my homepage.

• Kim says

I was finally able to upload a photo to facebook. I followed all of the steps above and still couldn’t do it until I open fb and uploaded a photo as my status. I still can’t click on a photo that I have taken and share it to fb but if I open fb and post it as my status it works.

• Nimme Cyriac says

if your album is customized, it wudnt upload.
      make ur fb album visible to either ‘Only you’ or ‘Friends’ and then upload, once the uploading is done, you can customize it back

• Nimme Cyriac says

heyy Calleigh…if your album is customized, it wudnt upload.

14. Erin says

This is frustrating for sure :(
    Upgraded to the iphone 5 last month, no problems whatsoever; then last week it started: upload fail. Have checked all my settings (General: Privacy: FB: ON), uninstalled & reinstalled, chose to allow FB access to my location when I was prompted & still get an upload fail when I try to add to an individual album. I can upload, as others have reported, in my status, but that’s it. What do I do???

15. Lyndsey says

I can post pics but I cannot post video? It does not give me the option to post video to FB, only to send by email or to you tube? Any ideas?

16. Meagan says

Thank you Nimme Cyriac! I had tried everything and changed my visibility to ‘friends’ and it worked!

17. [email protected] says

Did the friends thing and tried the only me option. It still doesn’t work. WTF?

18. joanne says

well ive tried everyhting and still im unable to upload videos to facebook any body suggest anything eles

19. Sonia says

Same here Joanne I can’t upload video to Facebook it says upload fail I have even tried trimming video but still won’t work

20. Missy0525 says

Can’t import Facebook photo into Instagram as profile photo. All my privacy, settings and app options are correct. I keep getting a settings>privacy>Facebook notification error, followed all the steps and still nothing. Please help

21. Jenna says

I understand how to allow access but I’m afraid that every pic I take will end up published online. I don’t want FB to have automatic access to my phone how do I upload one photo?

22. kpeirce says

For those of you that tried the whole changing general settings and yet it still wont work, allow me to share my moment of clarity. If you haven’t yet added cell phone number to your Facebook profile, you will not see it under the Privacy – Location Services List.

On Facebook go to privacy settings – mobile, then verify your number.

Once you do this you should see Facebook pop up under your Location Services on your iPhone.

23. Tracy says

Having the exact same problem with Twitter & Instagram ever since the new ios7 install to my iPhone. Have followed all steps including updating Restrictions but no luck. Ready to go back to BlackBerry I think…

• Tracy says

Just a thought; maybe put down the phone for a while and make your husband sandwich. He would be so happy that he would take a picture of it and upload it without problems using his ios6 operating system.