How to Get the Nexus 7 Android 4.1.2 Update Right Now

Nexus 7 owners who still haven’t received the update to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and want to get the update right now will want to try a simple trick to get the update installed.

Two days ago, the Nexus 7 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update starting rolling out for owners of Google’s 7-inch Nexus tablet. The update, while not extensive, brings a some bug fixes, enhancements and the ability to rotate the home screen into landscape mode. The bug fixes and stability enhancements are obviously the big things here but the ability to put the home screen into landscape mode is quite nice.

Two days into the roll out however, Nexus 7 owners who haven’t rooted their device are still complaining about the missing update. How do I know this? I am one of those owners. Up until about 20 minutes ago, I was unable to pull the update and remained on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.

Read: Nexus 7 Flaws: Things to Consider Before Buying Google’s Tablet.

Screenshot_2012-10-11-14-32-42

Yes, I plugged it into a charger.

I am now the proud owner of a Nexus 7 running Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean thanks to a quick little trick that should work for many Nexus 7 owners who still haven’t received the update and don’t want to root the device.

Here is the method I used to get the Android 4.1.2 update downloaded and installed on my Nexus 7 in no time.

1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All

2. Find Google Services Framework.

3. Tap on Force Stop.

4. Select Clear Data.

5. Head back to the Nexus 7’s Settings, go to About, and check for a System Update.

When you head back there, the year should be in the 60′s. Check for an update and more than likely, you’ll receive a prompt to install Android 4.1.2 like I did. The installation process is quite quick as the update is only a shade over 30MB. And besides the new landscape orientation, the contents of the update aren’t very noticeable.

However, for those who have been experiencing bugs, this is likely the software that will wipe them out.

The Nexus 7 tablet, Google’s first Nexus tablet, was the first device to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and now that it has Android 4.1.2 on board, we figure it will likely be one of the first to receive the new version of Android, rumored to be Android 4.2, that Google might show off on October 29th alongside the new Nexus smartphone made by LG. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Enjoy the bug fixes and new feature Nexus 7 owners.

Comments

1. Mac says

Messed up my play store app. error after this when downloading. had to clear my google account and download and replace app to fix. What is the newest version of that app?

• Guest says

But I don’t like force stopping any process/app running, it may corrupt files? Only force stop when it’s really necessary…

2. patrick says

spencerwatson501856889 is correct…you have to do it a few times to get it to download…im downloading it now after about 4 tries

3. Minda says

i did the force stop then clear data about 4 times (just back and forth between the two) and THEN went to system update, and it just finished downloading! if at first you don’t succeed…..

4. Glenn Sr says

Worked great, but had to do it three times before it found the update. Much easier than some other methods for manual update!

5. Guest says

OK, it worked…hope it fixed the touch interface issue, and flickering when on low WiFi set to auto brightness

6. Bob says

Holy crap it worked. Thanks ! East coast here. Guys before u complain legit clear the data and forse stop like 18 times. I almost gave up then a desperate attempt yeilded results.

7. Joe Scardino says

This did work. I tried downloading earlier, but it didnt work. I tried “download again” but it wouldnt…stoppign the framework solved the trick. Altho it said the last check for an update was back in July of 1969..ha. Thanks E

8. linuxguy says

Did this 15 times and then worked, even in Puerto Rico, where there is no play store for movies/books or music yet…. So happy the updates are not by region. :)

9. Dara Parsavand says

Worked perfectly the second time (not sure what I did wrong the first time). Thanks, I know it isn’t a huge update but I wanted to try it and was getting frustrated I wasn’t getting it automatically. Not sure why the push has to be this staggered.

10. Jessica says

a lot of thanks!!! works great after 2 tries!
    para los que tenemos el menu en español buscar el “Marco de Servicios de Google”

11. Nymphtus says

Worked first time. Downloaded, rebooted and updated. Everything seems to be in order. Brilliant!!

12. Brian says

Thanks for the tip! Worked on my second attempt, because you have to click “Clear data” first. Might want to change the order of the instructions.

13. kiernik says

i had my n7 rooted with custom recovery, it notified me about the update but it failed because cwm, went back to stock recovery aand the ota was gone so i had to do your solution 3 times before it worked!

14. [email protected] says

worked 2nd time round for nexus 7 in Australia. cheers

15. Justin says

Tried it on my samsung galaxy nexus and worked great. You have to do it a couple of times.

16. Stevey says

Goes through the motions … reboots and come back to 4.1.1? Maybe on the first attempt I should have agreed with the location services?

• Stevey says

Installed Clock Work Recovery. Now I can see the err message “Installation Aborted” with Error (status 7)?

17. Gary Johnson says

Worked perfectly on my first attempt, I’ve been looking all over the internet for how to update my Nexus 7, THANK YOU!!!!

18. Robert says

AWSOME THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!! I was about to download all these bootloaders and toolkits to do it and read your post. Thank you.

19. Thomas says

Cool thanks a lot man, have you got any leaked update versions for the new galaxy s4 you could help me by any chance ? lol

Thank you once more and i LOVE your page thanks for sharing that’s awesome !