How to Jailbreak iOS 6 for iPhone 4 & iPod Touch With Cydia

The iPhone Dev Team offers a new iOS 6 jailbreak for the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch that automatically installs the Cydia app store for an easier, faster iOS 6 jailbreak process with the latest Redsn0w jailbreak tool.

Just days after Apple released iOS 6 in September, the iPhone Dev Team released an iOS 6 jailbreak for A4 devices, and now there is an updated jailbreak that simplifies the process.

There is still no iOS 6 jailbreak for the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, but users with older devices can now upgrade to iOS 6 and jailbreak without the need to use terminal or the command line to install Cydia. This is still a tethered jailbreak, which means users cannot restart the iPhone without being attached to a computer.

Read: iPhone 5 Jailbreak Status

iOS 6 JailbreakJailbreaking the iPhone or iPod Touch allows users to run apps and tweaks that are not approved by Apple. This makes it possible to change the look of the iPhone and to run apps that do more than Apple or carriers want. Jailbreaking is legal, but it will void the warranty through Apple. This is not an issue for most users as it’s possible to un-jailbreak the iPhone with a simple restore, but it’s worth mentioning.

We suggest reading 5 reasons to jailbreak the iPhone and reasons not to jailbreak before starting the process. Jailbreaking may require troubleshooting, so read up before clicking jailbreak.

Users that choose to jailbreak should check out our 5 hidden Cydia Gems and Top 5 Cydia Apps to get started with their new iOS 6 jailbreak experience.

How to Jailbreak the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS & iPod Touch

1.  Backup the iPhone or iPod and upgrade to iOS 6 and that the computer is running the latest version of iTunes.

2. Download the latest version of Redsn0w, Redsn0w 0.9.15b1 for Mac or Windows.

3. Extract the file to the desktop.

4. Open the redsn0w application.

• Ctrl Click on Mac (if on Mountain Lion)
  • Right click and Run as Administrator on Windows.

5. Connect the iPhone to the computer and click on Jailbreak.

How to jailbreak iOS 6 iPhone 4

How to jailbreak iOS 6 on the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4th Gen.

6. Place the device into DFU mode, as shown in the video below and the on-screen instructions.

7. Follow the on-screen instructions to jailbreak the iPhone 4 and install Cydia.

iPhone 4 jailbreak guide

Click Just boot to complete the iOS 6 jailbreak.

8. Click on Just boot.

• In the future, to restart, connect the iPhone to the computer, open Redsn0w, click Extras and Just Boot.

Enjoy the iPhone 4 jailbreak for iOS 6. This is a beta release, but appears fairly stable based on reactions on Twitter. GottaBeMobile nor the iPhone Dev Team are responsible for issues with the iOS 6 jailbreak.

We may see an untethered iOS 6 jailbreak for the iPhone 4 soon, but an iOS 6 jailbreak for the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and new iPad could take some time.

Stay tuned for the latest jailbreak news.

Comments

1. zac says

this did not work for me, on my phone during the jailbreak it said please wait a lot of times then said error, please restart your phone n try again and keeps doing the same thing.
    any suggestions or different methods?

2. JK says

I have jailbroken my iphone 4 ios 6. My apps from cydia were working fine but decided to stop working such as dreamboard and barrel. What could be the cause?

3. layla says

It keeps saying waiting for reboot…. and nothing happens after that.. Why? and you know when you release the power button but keep your finger on the homebutton to get the dfu do you keep your finger on the homebutton as its loading stuff or do you release it after the countdown? ..

4. Rob says

mine looked like jail broke ok but installed nothing!!! Had a pineapple pic on screen and then just booted normally but no cydia or anything!! Help please

5. Guarav says

thanks a lot man…. i was on firmaware 4.12.02 and by following your process for a couple of time i was able to install cydia

6. Radu says

says the rest of this process takes place on your device. And DONE !
    I have the picture with the pineapple at the beginning, but no CYDIA :( .
    PLS help .

• Jay says

With redsnow switch off phone choose extras and just boot follow instruction cydia will be there. I got this far but get “No service” very hit and miss at the moment wait for untethered.

7. Ajay Kumar says

my phone is 3gs and its jail broken today i have installed cydia and installous both are working 100% fine when im trying to install cracked app through installous , its getting crash and coming back to main screen … any suggestion

8. vhaugn says

not working. I installed in my ipod 4G but i got until the message “the rest of the process takes place on your device” got the pineapple too.. but when i used the tethered boot, my device doesnt boot and there is no cydia. will try to use itools to see whether it works out for me..

9. zunaira says

its not working , i isntalled it in my iphone 4 ios 6 ,my device complete boot but in my iphone there is no cydia, i dont know wot is the reason
    plz reply

10. christopher leveque says

hello i just jailbroke my iphone 4 ios 6 and the jailbreak process went smoothly but i dont see the cydia app on my iphone can you please help me

11. Dustin says

Everything worked by my winterboard it won’t make any if the changes I try to do. I have the iPhone 4 iOS 6. Can you please help me!!!

12. Alexus says

mine keep asking for the dfu and i do the steps it still isnt working , please HELP me out.

13. Baylee says

So I did all the steps, correctly. Except I did the DFU mode thing and it installed and worked, then I went back to the redsnow screen and I clicked back cause i didnt know where I was at then it asked me to do the DFU mode again, i did. And it said please wait while we reboot. I waited 25 minutes nothing happened. I unplugged it and now it wont turn on. Can you help me atleast turn it back on please?????????

• g2thec says

do a hard reset. Simply hold down the power btton and the home button untill the apple logo appears.

14. WT says

Josh please address the overwhelming concern about no cydia installed when process is complete without issue.

15. Chris says

Tried Jailbreaking with iPod Touch 4G with iOS 6. Did not work. Takes me to lock screen and stays there.

16. Salina says

I did everything and I Saw the Pineapple logo thing too, but when i checked to see if i had the Cydia app, it doesn’t show. Why?

• sam says

hi, i’ve got iphone 4 (6.0), i have tried jail breaking it so many times but it wont work….. some one help!!!

17. Lateef says

Everyone, read it carefully. When you complete the jailbreak process. then go back in Redsn0w and click just Reboot, it will then install Cydia. So if you missing icon. Start Redsn0w and click Just Reboot and follow the instructions. When reboot complete, you will see Cydia…

• R27296 says

The reboot fails! It says Exploit Failed and the phone reboots and still not cydia icon!
      Any fix to that?

18. BruisedBacon says

I have an iPhone 3GS, iOS6, firmware 05.16.07
    Does anybody know if I’ll be able to jailbreak it? I’ve heard before I can’t, because of my firmware. Does anyone here know for sure?

19. Maddisen Robertson says

please help me ok so it keeps saying please wait while your build is being identified.. WHAT DO I DO??? I NEED HELP BIG TIME PLEASE PLEASE HELP

20. Zack says

this did not work it made my phone restart and i had to restore it so I lost everything plus it said it planted the kernal i saw a pineapple when to the home screen and nothing different happened THIS SUCKS I AM PISSED

21. Elad says

By following the steps above I was able to install cydia on an iPhone 4 3G from AT&T, iOS 6. But, when I insert a different carrier’s sim card “No Service” appears on the top left corner of the screen. How can I jailbreak my iPhone to use any carrier?

22. miles says

didernt work for me at first jailbroke ok but no cydia but fter reading post learnt that you have to reboot phone using redsnow and guess what it was there many thanks too

Lateef 10/20/2012 at 1:08 pm read hes post above

23. Falco says

Cydia wont even open! I followed the exact steps and then got cydia but now the big problem is cydia does not open. I turned it off then turned it back on and still cydia wont open. I did a hard reset and once again, Cydia wont open. It crashes like an app. Something is wrong here and idk if anyone is having this problem. There has to be a way to fix it.

24. Muhammad Butt says

Hi Dear
    I followed all the instructions but still my iPhone 4 with io6 can’t recognise my sim and no service is showing on the left top corner. any suggestions.

25. danegettingnothing says

My iPhone 3gs with ios5.1.1 had gotten stuck on the boot logo, so I had to restore it and update it to ios6. It worked for a while, but now my phone won’t boot into a Jailbreak compatible mode, so neither cydia nor any of my cydia apps will open. They all just crash. I tried Just Booting several times, with the same outcome. I’m not sure what else I can do, other than restore my phone again. I’ll just have to try that and rejailbreak it.

26. Matt says

Don’t bother updating. There’s nothing in iOS 6 worth upgrading to. Most of the jailbreak apps don’t work in the new iOS.

Oh, and if you do decide to upgrade, save your blobs first so you can downgrade if desired.

27. HEYYY says

i just did all the procedures until step 8 but the surprise that i coudn’t find any difference couldn’t even find cydia on my phone, was it really jailbroken??? or was it just failed?

28. mitchell says

says done and the rest of this proces takes place on your device.
    but noting happens after that how do i finnish the rest

29. PatienceisaVirtue says

Hey everyone. I got stuck too with the whole “no cydia thing.” When jailbreaking, when Redsn0w says it’s done: DON’T BELIEVE IT! it is a lie! My iPhone 4 was still showing the terminal-like screen. leave it alone, and a pineapple picture will come up saying Moving Applications… See if that works.

30. CRASHED IPHONE says

what am i supposed to do when my iphone4 crashes and only blinks the apple logo ?

31. Mike says

PEOPLE HAVING PROBLEMS:

I had to point redsn0w to the IPSW file.

Click the “everything else” button
    Click Select IPSW
    Locate your IPSW, if you don’t know where that is google it.
    Then run the Jailbreak, it should run fine.

• moon says

i done jailbreak my iPhone ios6 . but i have one problem. when ever i restart my mobile or my mobile battery is dead I switch on my mobile my cydia didn’t work and applications. i have to connect again with red snow to boot, please tell me what should i do ???

32. phil says

I have IPhone 4 with ios6, jailbroken except for the following|:
    1, Safari and email does not work unless the phone is tether.
    2, All the App download from installous will not install due to API error or something like that.
    I turn off the phone and retether the phone to computer again then tried to again install the previous uninstalled download , the screen quickly jump out of installous into the regualr main screen.
    Anyone has any suggestion or solution.

33. Anthony Rijo says

Hey you guys don’t you realized that if non of those instructions are not still available on http://www.iclarified.com it is because still there is nothing in concrete that allows someone to upgrade the ios 6 on your phones?

34. Ron says

Hey Josh, I just tried to jailbreak my phone, so I can have Cydia back on it… But after I tried all the instructions given above, it still takes me to where I was on my phone before, Waiting for Activation from Apple. HELP… Whatelse can I do? I just paid (20pounds) to Orange UK to get it unlocked… Please help me.

35. taken says

OK I HAVE A IPOD TOUCH 8GB IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THE FREE DOWNLOAD FOR IOS6 BUT CANT FIND IT..AFTER READING ALL THIS IM NOT SURE I SHOULD TRY THE JAILBREAKING THING.. SO IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME HOW TO PUT IOS6 ON MY IPOD TOUCH I’D BE VERY THANKFUL..THANKS SO MUCH..

36. pts42 says

Anyone with a link to troubleshoot the email/safari not working issue? Also, still showing invalid sim for China Mobile sim card. Otherwise, Cydia is on it and all other aps working fine.

37. Stevo says

I tried to get mine to work last night and this morning and mine still would not work. I had Cydia and Winterboard installed on mine and I have the iPhone 4 with the iOS 6. I installed several themes and they would not work either. I uninstalled everything and had to restore my phone for email and Safari to work. Thanks, but I think I will just keep my phone just the way it is.

38. Robin says

It just sits on the waiting to reboot screen and doesn’t go any further. I have tried numerous times and still can’t get past that same screen. I don’t know what I am doing wrong…I am following the instructions, but still get the same screen.

39. cc says

if I upgrade my jailbreak version from IOS 4 to IOS 6. will all my data and apps disappear?
    Thanks for the help!

40. Kaylan says

my phone was originally jailbroken for me by a friend when I was using version 4.1.3 of the iphone 4. I decided to upgrade it to version 6.0.1, BIG MISTAKE! all of my 45 apps were wiped out completely. I tried to restore the apps, but none got backed up when I synced my phone with itunes. So I followed your steps to jailbreak my phone again in hopes to re-install the lost apps, but it tells me that I am missing some keyes and will not let me go to the next step. All the while, my itune pops up a msg saying my phone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored in order to use itunes. What should I do?

41. SimonD says

Does this work for 3gs with firmware 05.13.04 ……… cant aford to brick my phone, help would be appreciated……

42. Dantatorship says

I have a iPhone 4 with the IOS 6 and I tried jailbreaking and downloading Cydia with the newest version of redsnow but everytime it come up saying missing keys. Is there something else I gotta do? Any have suggestion?

43. TOMAL says

Can anyone help me to Unblock my I phone 4 version 6. This scenario happened when i want to upgrade my I phone 4 from version 4.1 to 6. please help me out

44. Hans says

Hi Tom,

My phone sit on the screen ‘please wait while your build is being processed’ …’Waiting for reboot’…. how long is this phase suppose to take?

45. joi says

fuck you and your god damn DFU. now i have to restore my fucking phone settings cause it didn’t fucking work

46. kait says

after doing the reboot, after the first time, the apple symbol just stays and doesnt do anything…..

47. PS says

with the first attempt at the jailbreak Redsnow erred stating that ‘exploit failed’ then when I attempted to perform a “Just Boot’ redsnow erred with ‘Missing Keys.plist data for this build’

48. hugh says

my ipod4 wont jailbreak it just keeps saying waiting for reboot so i rebooted it and it wasnt jail broken

49. Sampson says

After i put the device DFU mode is say’s” Missing Keys.plist data for this build pls help me

50. Austin C says

I have an Iphone 4 and tried to jailbreak it but after it went through all the loading, it came up on a screen that says
    “Missing Keys.plist data for this build”
    what does this mean?

51. idemas87 says

Missing Keys.plist data for this build”
    what does this mean? thw same happen to me as well, than was a 21 error
    any help??

52. pevee says

Please help me I have jailbreak my iphone 4 running with iso 6.0 firmware 4.12.02 but cydia does not appear

53. Dave says

I tried this and it says its missing key pilots and says it has an iPhone 3 build. Any help

54. Joe says

This did not work for me, A4 iPhone4. It gets done with stage 1 and stage 2, then complains: ”
    Missing Keys.plist data for this build:

Device: iPhone 4
    ECID: 3205406438702
    Build: iPhone3,1_6.0.1_10A523

Only option is to quit. #fail.

55. Tyler says

I get the same f’in message and its p’ssn me off, I’ve tried everything I can think of, tried extracting my iOS program to the desktop and running it into the jailbreak and everything but now matter what I do I can’t seem to get my phone to jailbreak… I’m tired of trying I need help! iPhone4

56. galaxy s4 says

Dude, thank you for your kind help. But i’m still wondering whether the IPhone will execute other apps normally as it used to do in the past is’nt it risky not to opt for the official version then ?