Microsoft may have flipped the switch too early this morning on Surface pricing, but it looks like things are now official. The pricing is no different now that the press release is out. (See below). What is news is that there will be limited pre-orders available today beginning at 12 noon EDT, presumably at this link.
Here’s the pricing structure as we stated this morning: A 32GB Surface RT Tablet will set you back $499. That is without a keyboard. That same capacity RT Tablet with the Touch keyboard will cost $599. If you order the Touch Cover separately you’ll spend $119. The Type cover (with moveable keys as opposed to non-raised hardware keys) will set you back $129. There is (was) a 64GB model listed for $699.
Here’s the press release that also contains more details and specs:
Microsoft Announces New Surface Details
Ahead of Oct. 26 launch, Microsoft outlines pricing, market availability and special limited quantity pre-order.
REDMOND, Wash. – Oct. 16, 2012 – Microsoft Corp. today released new details about its highly anticipated Microsoft Surface, a tablet PC designed to be the ultimate stage for Windows. In addition to pricing and market availability, the company announced a special limited-quantity pre-order for Surface with Windows RT available 9 a.m. PDT. Those who want to learn more or pre-order can visit http://www.Surface.com.
Surface delivers the power of amazing software and the feel of premium hardware in one exciting experience. Originally unveiled in June, Surface with Windows RT will initially be available in three SKUs: a 32GB version priced at US$499, a 32GB version bundled with a black Touch Cover priced at US$599, and a 64GB version bundled with a black Touch Cover priced at US$699.
A variety of accessories will also be available, including Touch Covers in five vibrant colors – black, white, magenta, cyan and red – priced at US$119.99 so customers can express their personal style. Customers will also have the option to purchase a Type Cover in black for US$129.99, which adds moving keys for a more traditional typing feel.
Surface will be available for purchase beginning Oct. 26, 2012, at all Microsoft Store locations in the United States and Canada, including in all 34 new holiday stores. In addition, Surface will be available for sale online in eight markets across the world: Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom and the United States. See Surface.com for more details.
Additional Product Information – Surface With Windows RT
• Surface with Windows RT comes with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview (which includes Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote)
• 10.81 x 6.77 x 0.37 inches, 1.5 pounds, VaporMg casing, dark titanium color, volume and power buttons
• 32 GB; 64 GB
• NVIDIA T30, 2 GB of RAM
• Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0 technology
• Two 720p HD cameras, front- and rear-facing
• Two microphones, stereo speakers
• Full-size USB 2.0, microSDXC card slot, headset jack, HD video out port, cover port
• Ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, compass
• 24W power supply
• One-year limited hardware warranty
• Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview2 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote), Windows Mail and Windows Messaging, SkyDrive, Windows Internet Explorer 10, Bing, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, and Xbox Games
Those interested in learning more or pre-ordering can visit http://www.Surface.com or follow Surface on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Surface and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/surface.
Anyone pre-ordering today? Let us know.
UPDATE: I pre-ordered a Surface RT with both keyboard options. Reports to come once I have my hands on the device, which according to the verification email will arrive on 10/26. Get your questions ready.