Motorola Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich Update Approved by Verizon

On the heels of Verizon’s LG Lucid Ice Cream Sandwich announcement comes word that the Motorola Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich update has been approved by Verizon which means that a roll out should finally be taking place soon.

The update finally appeared on Verizon’s website today which means that the carrier has approved it for roll out which means Droid Bionic owners should be getting their taste of Ice Cream Sandwich in the near future. No date is known but it shouldn’t be more than a few days.

Read: Motorola Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich Soak Test Planned for October 19.

Previously, we had been told that a soak test would be rolling out tomorrow, October 19, and it appears that this might be the case as Verizon generally rolls out its updates in phases with the initial recipients essentially being used to test the update. Then, if all goes well, the update generally rolls out to everyone a few days after that.

So, it could be that the approved update starts hitting devices tomorrow.

bionic

The Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich update will roll out soon.

The update will take the Droid Bionic up to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich and will bring all of the goodies that come along with any old Ice Cream Sandwich update. This means the new user interface, the new launch bar, a better camera application, improved browser, Face Unlock, better multitasking and more. It’s a huge step up from the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update that was previously running on the Droid Bionic.

There will also be stability and performance enhancements that will be coming with the update which should shore up any issues that Droid Bionic owners have been having with Android.

Droid Bionic owners should know that the update is around 370MB in size which means that it will take a bit to download and install.

The update, which was originally supposed to be out in Q3 of this year, was pushed to Q4 due to unknown reasons. The assumed reason was because of similar issues that arose with the Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX updates. Those devices have yet to receive a bug fix update for Ice Cream Sandwich.

So, be on the look out soon Droid Bionic owners, it looks like the Droid Bionic update is coming soon, maybe even at the same time as the LG Lucid ICS update.

Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

Comments

1. motosuks says

Who cares anymore. They are a day late and a dollar short. No more MOTOCRAP for me! So everyone is supposed to be happy now and forget the way Verizon and Motorola treated their Bionic customers? Yeah, not me buddy and it will be my personal agenda to tell everyone how crappy Motorola treats their loyal consumers. Screw them and Verizon!

2. nelson says

My wife has a Bionic and I plan to wait as long as possible before installing this update. The ICS update to my daughters RAZR has been one headache after another. She has worked with VZW support extensively – factory reset, clear cache, checked for buggy apps, replaced the sim, etc., and, among other problems, the data connection keeps dropping. The phone worked rather well before the update, now not so much. At least we know the hardware works. The ICS software on the other hand leaves a bit to be desired.

I hope your experience with the update is a lot better than my daughters’ is with her RAZR. For my wifes’ phone, it is going to be thanks, but no thanks for now…

3. Mr. Salty says

I’m part of the soak test and ICS is pushing to my Bionic as we speak. Started around 10 a.m, Central time.

4. Cheryl says

I’m excited that I will finally have ICS on my DROID Bionic in just a matter of days, it has been a long time coming.. I have not forgot the headache of all the waiting but I plan to keep my phone for as long as I can. (I don’t want to upgrade and lose my unlimited data) so maybe this update will help my phone keep a stable data connection. Keeping my fingers crossed. And am going to definitely enjoy the features of ICS as well as the SmartActions. :-)

• ettie says

I got it on the 20 th. Gallery doesnt work now and some apps
      Email not syncing corre tly and battery drains in two hours. Hate it

• NiceCreamSandwich says

Same exact problems for me. I have no idea how to fix the gallery problem and I’m annoyed that I can’t toggle between 3G and 4G now to save some battery life.

• sk says

Same ics sucks feeling here in cslide. Battery life a few hours at most even with gps, syncing, wifi off. Phone runs hot with Motorola media sw draining the battery

5. Jacob says

Downloading ics right now on my bionic in Detroit metro, Michigan, it released to me less than an hour ago

6. mizraim says

Downloading it rightnow in vail colorado!! Myb now more amount of people will get it by tomorrow. Exciting!!:)

7. Ambitious says

Nothing here yet. I’m from Cleveland (where I got my phone) but I’m in college in KY… nothing at all.

8. taz says

We have four of these where I work. Two of them received the update yesterday, after the update finished, they no longer had a data connection. Took the phones to a VZW store, VZW went through their steps and could not get data to function. We are slated to receive two replacements under warranty tomorrow. Needless to say the other two users have been instructed not to load the update right now..

9. Bill H. says

E mail and contacts don’t sync now. Can’t access my gallery so hopefully I haven’t lost all my pictures. Was excited last night when I could download the update and now I am just disgusted with the whole thing.

10. Mio says

Got my ICS yesterday…it just shut off on me and would not power back on with a fully charged battery. I had to plug it in and then it allowed me to power it on. 3way call management still does not work. If i have someone on the line then call someone else and that person does not pickup i have to hang up on first call and call them back…not good for business :-(

11. JarheadVetDave says

Got the update a few days back (in Tampa Fl)… apps constantly crash now. Entire phone seems quite “laggish” in response to almost everything & the battery life is less than half of what it used to be. Yea the update came through without a problem- but then the problems started to present themselves.

12. Dawn says

Hey everyone, I got update 4 days ago. found out how to toggle with 3g & 4g to save battery. go to play store and get the LTE OnOff app. It’s a gray circle with a red lightening bolt through it. It think it’s a HTC AP. It works. you want to select GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) As for email syncing. NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH THIS. If anyone knows how to fix it, I’d love to know. I have Yahoo mail and it doesn’t fetch the emails.

13. Paul Deatherage says

Did my update last Friday the 26th and experienced much of the same disappointing BS that many others did!
    *Very hot battery
    *Discharged a full battery in less than 1.5 hours!
    *Many Apps would freeze and some didn’t work at all – even Droid apps!
    Bit the bullet and did a factory reset… so far so good!
    Everything is working, no more hot battery and my charge has lasted all day and I still have 70%
    VERY disappointed in this VERY late rollout.

14. David says

Got my update a week ago. Only problem is a big one: Bionic frequently shuts down on its own now and I have to restart from scratch. Anyone know of a fix?

15. Paul says

Holy FUCKAMOTO!!!! Just updated my Bionic and NOTHING WORKS…calls, apps, internet, NOTHING!!!! It freezes up after any app is open, shuts down on its own, and it’s super slow. DO NOT UPDATE TO ICS!!!! I’m going to have to do a master reset to get it back to normal again. This is ridiculous, they’ve took this long to release ICS on the Bionic and this it what they give us? I am never going to buy a Motorola phone again!

16. moto-rules says