Motorola Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich Update Should Roll Out to More Users Soon

As expected, the Motorola Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich update still isn’t available for many owners of the device, after the update started rolling out on Friday of last week.

Over the weekend, we heard from many Droid Bionic owners who claim that their device still haven’t received the update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. This coming after Verizon started rolling out the update in phases on Friday.

Those who still don’t have Ice Cream Sandwich shouldn’t panic as this is exactly what we told you would happen on Friday. The Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich roll out appears to be similar to the Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX ICS roll outs in that it was announced as arriving in phases but Verizon’s rolling it out slowly so as to make sure it’s working and so as not to overload its servers.

Read: Motorola Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich Update Available for All Users.

Screenshot_2012-10-19-13-27-47

As expected, the Droid Bionic ICS update is rolling out slowly.

Again, as expected, a majority of the people that received the update are either soak testers or a small minority of folks who are being used to ensure that the update is fully functional and working without any massive bugs.

Fortunately, from what we’ve heard from a number of Droid Bionic owners who have received the official OTA update, it’s running smoothly and the experience on the Droid Bionic is much improved. In fact, we’ve heard from several owners who say that the Droid Bionic feels like an entirely new phone.

What this means is that those who have yet to receive the update will likely be the beneficiaries of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich in the near future, probably sometime this week.

Read: Motorola Promises Jelly Bean Updates for Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX Again.

Again, this is how Verizon seems to roll out these larger updates. After all is well, it will then make an update available for the masses. And now that the Droid Bionic seems to be running smoothly, a much larger roll out should occur soon.

So, to those that haven’t received the update, remain patient. Just because the update hasn’t arrived yet doesn’t mean that it’s delayed or cancelled. Instead, this is all part of the usual Verizon roll out process.

Who still has yet to receive it?

Comments

1. Jerry says

I’m in Harrisburg PA and I haven’t received anything yet. I figure hopefully by the weekend or over the weekend at the latest.

• will says

The update is based on the ESN/IMEI if your phone and is completely random. I live in Los Angeles, CA and still have not recieved the update. Im still remaining patient, manually checking for updated every 5 minutes :P

• Greg says

This morning my phone had a notice on the screen saying there was an update available that I could delay for 12 hours or do now. It stated is would take 10 minutes to complete ;o) that proved false the update takes a bit longer as it update your apps, contacts, media database and such…I’m past 20 minutes now bu I have a lot of media on my 32 Gb SD card.
      -=Greg=-

• Mike says

I am in NYC and woke up to an update being available that should take 10 minutes. I accepted and it took about 10 minutes to update the phone – then once it reset it began updating all of my info, apps and has been updating my Media database for over 5 hours!!! (have over a gig of music on my phones external storage) The phone is a brick while doing this and just says Android is Upgrading… Upgrading Media Database and has the spinning doughnut of death. Make sure you have at least 6 -12 hours that you will not need your phone when you do this upgrade if you hav ea lot of apps and data on it!

2. Nick says

Thanks to Adam for posting this article. I am a patient droid bionic owner that was running a custom ics rom, but just this morning rolled back to .905 in order to recieve the OTA version. I am excited to compare it to the leaked version I had previously. I really could care less about JB as I have tried that as well. No major differences between ICS and JB. Hopefully this will calm down impatient Bionic owners that have nothing better to do with their time other than complain. If you had any tech knowhow at all, you would have been running ICS since June like the rest of us. Relax people, you will get ICS soon enough.

• Kevin says

haha wow dude. we want the update stop acting like we shouldn’t be pissed that we haven’t gotten it yet. clean your face and get the pimples removed then teach me how to download the leaked version. HAHAHAHAHA

• Nick says

32 year old homeowner in Atlanta , 6’1 195lbs. and NO ACNE, hahaha. Sure I was pissed about thew lack of customer service from motorola, and VZW. But, Verizon is known for their crappy customer service. But it makes up for it in cell reception. And honestly, I just googled a little and figured it out. It was a dark and stormy night, and took only about 3 hours of reading and flashing to make it happen.

• Dog says

LOL, Nick you don’t have to prove who / what you are, I’m actually a dog and I even know how to use Google / Youtube, Kevin. The fact of the matter is Verizon is a sneaky b*sterd of a company that wants your moneys. It will delay updates, even corrupt them in order for you to move to another device before your plan is up. I’m actually shocked they are releasing an official update for a phone that is over a year old. It must have been those bionic users who kept complaining about how the 905 update was sabotaged to cut off 4G access after a certain time of use.. Either way, Nick good for you on learning how to use google most old people can’t, and Kevin good for you on complaining about the bs bionic, because of you we have ICS.

• Somerandomguy says

I love it when dogs learn to use the internet! Well said sir, here’s a bone.
            In other news, back in June I was a bit wary of flashing the leak, but after hearing how well it went over, I decided to go ahead with it. Unfortunately, no matter what I tried to do, the update failed. Although I’ve learned to use Google, I couldn’t find a lot of help with my error and since the official release will either work, or I’ll have the Verizon store figure it out, I decided to wait seeing as how it was only supposed to be a couple weeks… but it looks as if Motorola is on the Valve development timeline. So ya, I complained about it and for good reason. When a company promises something to get people to buy their product, then don’t deliver, whether there is a way around the official channels or not, it’s going to leave a bitter taste in your mouth. Personally, I’m planning on moving to Samsung once I’m up for an upgrade.

• Kahmari says

Dang haha he told you, but Nick is right though alot of you guys are just a bunch of impatient b****es that have nothing better to do with there lives so, Kevin my only advice is that you go get a life and by time your done with that you can check to see if your precious update has come.

• kevin>kahmari says

There is a difference here Kahmari, its not about having a life or not, or being impatient or not. They pissed off a lot of customers that know they should have had this already. Even a Motorola exec said we got screwed. So shut the fu*k up and get ready for the update cause its coming soon. We did it guys!!!

• Kahmari says

I mean i guess, i got my update already lol so you shut the fu*k up :)

• marc says

I’m sure there wouldn’t have been as many complaints if Verizon didn’t promise there would be an upgrade to ICS. Yes, I could have taken the 15 minutes to update my phone but why should I? The lesson for me is not to buy another Motorola phone!!

3. Justin Ware says

It’s a nice upgrade. Now that the soak tests are over I can attest that this even comes without the bugs that plagued Razr MAXX owners. Provided VZW doesn’t make any last minute changes with their “value added” bloatware, it should be hours, not days.

Then everyone here can start whimpering on these forums about Jelly Bean because someone else has it … and they don’t….Wah!

4. rwillower says

I revived mine at 1pm last Friday..i had to manually initiate it but it is totally a DIFFERENT PHONE :) verrrrry smooth. hang in there everybody..its worth the wait!

5. Mike says

Im here in San Diego and haven’t received it yet, but honestly after waiting this long, whats a few more days right?

6. Nick says

For all those that are being patient, that last rant was not meant for you, btw. Just please don’t give the same crap when they make an official announcement for JB. I will not be looking at forums that time around.

7. G says

Still waiting for ICS in Tyler,Tx. My brother is the head store manager of a Verizon here in East Texas and he said we should be receiving it the 22nd through the 24th.

8. Chris says

I just want the update, I bought the phone as soon as the Verizon store opened in it’s release day and have stuck with it till now. I guess a little longer of a wait isn’t too bad.

9. Jeff says

Nothing from Milwaukee yet, seriously a year wait for a software update is getting a little on the crazy side of things. If Big Red could learn to leave some of the bloat ware off the phones, these updates might roll out quicker.

10. Big Daddy Chaz says

Also purchased Day 1, Flint, MI, still don’t have it. It would’ve been kind of nice if they would’ve given it to those of us who bought the Bionic right away first. I think we kind of deserve it after sticking with the phone for so long.

11. Leegtr says

I spoke with a rep at Verizon and she told me that Verizon wasn’t sending out the update and then gave me the number to Motorola. I called Motorola and they told me that it was being sent out for a soak test and it will be released to everyone within 5 to 7 days.

12. Leon says

ICS will come around tommorow or day after.thats a promise made to me by a friend’s brother who works at verizon.they are working on jellybean right away.it will come around next year.

• peter everett says

verizons not doing the upgrade – motorola is so any advice from verizon is a salesperson telling you what you want to hear! The razor update rolled out in june and my boss never got his till the end of August??

13. Peter Everett says

no update yet in maine and I have seen a leaked version compared to my crappy loss of data but am trying to hold on!! I wont even care if jb ever hits this phone just need it to be on par with the pos straight talk ones without the hassle I have gone through with this one! I blame verizon and motorola equally as they do not care about customers satisfaction anymore! Phone mafia pay your dues regardless if you service stinks!!!

14. Joe says

Why does everyone keep mentioning their location? Is the rollout really based on location, and if so which location- phone area code, physical location at time of push, physical location of account, etc.?

15. Glenna says

Nothing in VA yet. I’m glad I found this article you wrote, Adam. Thank you. If Verizon had simply said this in the beginning. I would have been fine but, to give the impression that EVERYONE is getting this update on the 19th, Just makes it more difficult to trust both Motorola or Verizon. And Thank you to Leegtr for calling both Motorola and Verizon for that clarification. I’ll let you know when I receive my update.

16. R2D2-C3PO says

I’ll wait to hear about battery life. But this is frustrating. Glad to hear I’m not alone… In CA

17. Ryan says

Not sure if this was just a coincidence or not but manualy checked for update…nothing…decided to switch to WiFi and check again and it downloaded the ICS update. Others may want to give that a try.

18. dave remias says

Canal Winchester Ohio SW of Columbus Ohio Downloading it right now! Woo Hoo finally some ICS!

19. steve says

Downloading ICS right now i’m in Philadelphia pa so maybe the east coast is getting it now?

20. Dreneht says

Just received it as a manual download from Verizon in Huntsville Alabama. still downloading slowly so not sure what its like yet but definitely getting it! Yay finally =)

• Dreneht says

And like the guy above me i also had my wifi on when I checked. so be sure to try that folks!

21. Steve says

I got the update tonight but the install failed. I’m trying it for the second time
    (has to re-download), Fingers crossed. – Texas

• Leon says

Turn off the phone.restart it.go to settings, about phone.tap in system updates.it should say that an update file is already being downloaded.you might not see the download progress.,but don’t worry about that.it is still downloading.want proof? Turn of data connection or wifi if you are using.a notification will appear sayin download has been suspended.

• Glenna says

Well I have my new update. Everything is so different. I just need time to get use to the new layout. But my phone is wickedly fast!

22. Stuck says

I am in Southern California. My phone is trying to update to ICS. It seems stuck around 29% complete. Says it will resume shortly but its been stuck there for about an hour. Any ideas anybody??

23. Randy M says

Downloading it myself it’s not done and i don’t have a status bar but its been an hour or so now

Seattle Area here

24. Randy M says

An update is currently being downloaded is the only message ive seen now for nearly 2 hours ANYBODY out that who can HELP

25. bionic says

Just got it installed n love it, the verizon text on the notification bar is kind of dumb tho. There is a little lag with the text aa well but not too bad.

26. mig says

Just got my ics update, Tucson AZ…finally..now we’re only one OS behind again..smh.. Never again Motorola. My money will go elsewhere in May

27. radd says

I got my update manually at 3:10 am and waited for an hour and downloading so I left for work and it switched to 4g, notice came up then that downloading was suspended and would resume shortly; 45 minute drive to work and same thing. I got on my works Wi fi and still nothing,I an going on 4 hours and still says 0% downloaded, I have restarted my phone and Donne a soft reset- NOTHING!

28. kurtmeredith says

Woke up this morning and there it was. It is installing now. Atlanta, GA. Unfortunately, it seems to have caused my wake-up alarm to not go off–I over slept an hour.

29. tiffo says

Received today around midnight. Hope this helps with the 4g no data issues. That’s my biggest complaint on the Bionic before update.

30. Mark says

Downloaded over night. Installed first thing this morning, so far everything seems ok. Phone is much more responsive.

31. mnguy says

when i manually check for the updated it say “check for update is not available at this time try again later” whats up with that im in MN

32. Chrome says

Trying to download ICS now. It has been trying to download for over two hours and now it says “download suspended — will resume shortly” but the it is stuck at 0%. Anyone else have or having this problem?

• Carlos says

Turn on your wifi (if ts not already on) and turn of cellular data. Turn off phone and the turn it back on. When it’s on, wait like 1 minute till your phone settles down, and the update should continue downloading on its own. That’s what happened to me. Hope that helps and good luck

• Ryan says

Thanks dude! this worked perfectly! I didnt even have to turn the phone off and back on!

TURN OFF CELLULAR DATA EVERYONE!!!!!

• Chad says

Carlos you’re a life saver. I’ve been rebooting, switching between wifi and 4g, and doing rain dances to get the download to start. Finally i took your recommendation and it worked as soon as it booted back up.

Just so others know. Go to settings -> battery/Data manager -> Data Deliveryj -> uncheck Data Enabled on mobile networks. Then make sure your WiFi is on and reboot.

• Chris says

Glad it’s working for some people, but I’ve tried every method I could find to get this update to finish downloading. It’s been stuck at 6% since I tried to start it around midnight last night and nothing, even this method, has seemed to get it to start again… so frustrated right now, it’s been 12 hours!

• ascii says

I haven’t gotten an suspended message but I initiated it an hour and 15 minutes ago and still nothing. If I go check for updates again it still tells me it’s downloading, though there’s no status bar, etc. May reboot and try again….

33. Andy says

Got it in Chicago area last night around 11p; update when fine; media database update portion took about 1 hour in and of itself as others have reported; total duration for update process was about 2 hours … but it is done and works great so far

34. Little a says

Got it here in Raleigh, NC! Checked manually this morning and took about a half hour for download and installation! Very nice! Feels like a new phone!

35. kurtmeredith says

I just started looking at the new update and already I see something that I really like–the app screen has a widgets tab that allows you to view the widgets as a thumbnail of what they will look like. This is great! I never liked the fact that I had to install a widget to see what it was, now you can see it beforehand. This is especially nice for those widgets that come in a variety of styles.

• Carmen Ch says

36. vateacher says

I got my update last night. Initiated it this morning and it seems to be stuck in the middle of the update process. It’s been running for close to 3hrs now. Not sure what to do.

• Carmen Ch says

Turn on WiFi and Turn off Data. Turn off data by doing the following…go to battery and data manager click on data delivery and uncheck data enabled. I had to turn off phone and turn it back on. It’s working now.

37. matthew hungerford says

So update has started for me but its been downloading for like 4 or 5 hours now… any thoughts? It kills me that i cant see a progress bar or something.

• Carmen Ch says

• Matthew Hungerford says

Thanks a bunch! worked quite well. And BTW ICS works perfectly so far, had to restart after it was done quick because of some lag but once it booted up it was like a brand new phone. Finally the anticipation is over.

38. Karl says

For those of you that are stuck like I was…… FOLLOW Carmen’s ADVICE…… mine is now UNstuck and downloading as it should……

Thanks Carmen !!!

39. Ken says

The update did not work for me. I reset my phone and cache and downloaded the zip from manually. If I can’t update my phone from flash stock recovery I am taking the phone back to vz and asking for a new one. I was pretty frustrated last night. I am hoping this was just a glitch in my hardware.

40. FF. Ryan says

Downloaded three times and tried to install three times. Download finishes shuts off than it starts to install. Gets about 25% then the screen goes black and it boots back to gb. I am rooted could this be why?

41. Karl says

Follow Carmens Advice it worked for me after being Stuck ALL Night !!

42. E says

Data is turned off. Wifi is turned on. Restarted, waited…nothing. Checked for update manually, says its downloading, no download indicator. Help?

• Tash says

Mine seems to do the same thing. It won’t start the download unless I have my data enabled and then it just gets stuck at the “download suspended, will resume shortly”

• Matthew Hungerford says

I know its retarded that theres no progress indicator, but when it says its downloading with the wifi enable etc. the best thing to do at that point is to put the phone down plugged into the charger, go about your business and randomly check it. thats what i did this morning. i set it to download, went to work, came home and boom was good to go. it unfortunately requires a bit of patience because of the size of the file but in the end worth it.

43. Nellei says

Hey eveyone, I’m in northern Virginia near DC and i just finish updating my bionic this morning from over the network. So far so goood. 4g lte network doesn’t drop. The keyboard however seems a little slow and sluggish.

44. excuse_remover says

Help! Been stuck downloading since 1:15 this morning. Just keep getting a “download suspended, will resume shortly” message. I tried turning off data and just running off of wifi but it didn’t do anything.

45. kurtmeredith says

Trouble with Bionic update. Contacts are being updated due to “change in language;” which scares me, ’cause I didn’t ask for a language change. What language? Also, my home page keeps crashing with a warning to force quit or wait. I can’t even see my Settings; when I try to go into Settings the screen is blank. I just rebooted for the second time, and now my screen shows ONLY the screen background and the “Apps” icon at the bottom; there are NO other icons. Clicking on the “Apps” icon brings up a black screen with a loading graphic in the center that just keeps animating, but nothing happens. What the heck!?

46. Robert Simandl says

How long does this thing take? I first got the notification that there’s a 368mb system update and started the download about 10:30 last night. It’s now 10:20 the next morning, and my phone tells me the update is still downloading.

• Robert Simandl says

Just shut off and restarted my phone. Still have the “update is being downloaded” message as before but now I have a progress bar, which I didn’t have before.

47. Moose says

I just got it 45 minutes ago, took about 15-20 minutes to download and install. Now my phone is dragging while Verizon downloads updates to all the bloody unwanted bloatware they stick on the phone.

• Matthew Hungerford says

benefit is now, with ICS you can go into the manage apps menu and disable all the bloatware

48. Tim says

Well, the wait is over……. at least for the update. However, it took an hour to download over 3g and has not been installing the update for two and a half hours. It has been sitting at a screen “Android is upgrading : Starting applications” for well over an hour and a half. Anyone else been seeing this? How long should this last? Starting to get irritated as the phone is currently useless, and the first update I had to my DroidX three years ago bricked my phone. Really going to be pissed if this happens again.

• Tim says

Well, it finally tried to reboot itself, and is now sitting at the DROID word on the screen and seemingly doing nothing. Looking like a second bricked phone for me due to an OTA update. Un-flipping-believable. Even with insurance, I don’t know whether I want to waste the time to get a new bionic or now, but cannot afford to upgrade right now either.

• Alex says

Same thing currently happening to me–stuck on the “starting applications.” Anyone else get this/figure out how to fix?

49. Nside says

Got the update last night. In many ways, it’s like having a new phone. In other ways, nothing has changed. 4g reception is certainly better. The battery icon better represents the amount of life left. All of the improvements you would expect and have read about are there. The bloatware is still there (unfortunately) I will never use NFL mobile or Go2meeting, so why can’t I uninstall them? I expected as much, though. The keyboard seems to have some horribly noticeable lag while typing this, something that was less apparent with gingerbread. I just bought the lapdock from amazon for $66 from amazon, so we’ll see how ics fares on that. If you do a lot of web browsing, you might want to install flash manually from adobe’s website. The update was certainly worth it for the connection issues alone, but the other things it changed weren’t an issue to me.

50. Tash says

Alright I figured out the problem. If you are getting the “download suspended, will resume shortly” like I was then follow these steps and it might work. I cleared the cache on my phone, rebooted, turned on wifi, turned off data, and it started to download.

• Chris says

Just tried that, after it booted up again a notification appeared in the bar saying ‘download will begin on wifi/off peak hour’ I am currently connected to wifi, i tried turning it off and back on again and it’s back to ‘download suspended’ again…

• Chris says

I’m on campus, what’s good wifi? haha, I just left it alone for a while and it eventually resumed on 4G, it’s paused twice again, once at 28%, now at 45%…. annoying but I’m slowly getting there. I guess I just have to wait my turn…. Just started again! Hoping it goes quickly!

51. Erv says

Just got ICS on my Bionic. Yes!! Its pretty exciting, took all night but its here. Seems like the rollout occured last night, everyone enjoy.

52. Michael says

All of the Bionics that I manage got their update alerts early this morning – responding to this from my Bionic in Weptop mode on my lapdock 100 – worth every second of waiting!
    This is everything I could (currently) ask for from a phone…

53. Vanthof says

I’m in the SF Bay Area and just installed the update. I had to manually search for it. Initially I was on a 3G connection and the download was taking a long time, over an hour with no visible progress, then moved to a 4g area and the download started. It still took about 1/2 hour to complete the download and another 15-20 minutes to do the install. So far, the update is working well. Only time will tell if there is any battery improvement or 4G connection improvements.

54. Rob says

Have had the Download suspended since early this AM (five hours). Have turned off data, turned on WiFi, cleared cache to no avail.

55. radd says

11 hours later update finally finished,i followed Tass’s advice and it worked the second timer but not the first.

• radd says

Seems to work great so far, my Bionic feels like a Bionic now.this is what it wad meant for!

56. monte777 says

Finally got mine downloaded and installed. Turned this on and that off, than this off and that on (WiFi/Data/etc.). Ultimately worked just fine NOT being on WiFi and having data ON. I think I just had to wait in line (started last night). All in all, seems flawless, and I like the new look/feel :)

57. hex says

nothing here in los angeles either, at least not for me, and if not im mistaken, i was the very first person that picked up my Bionic at the store soon as it opened… wft??? i seriously hope and wish and cross my fingers and toes that this update fixes all the crappy data drops…uuugh!!!

58. Connor says

Got my update thid morning! Phone runs much smoother. 4g problems seem to have been fixed. Definately feels like a brand new phone! Thanks to Adan for keeping us updated all these months, it’s much appreciated!

59. aaron says

Can any one tell me why my update would fail i heard about this update tried to go into about phone and update it that way but it fails tried installing 5x

60. owen baynham says

I’m a 61 year old, in Sacramento who has been struggling with my Bionic for a year. I got my new upgrade days ago….Its a totally new phone and experience! I love it.

61. David Miller says

Nothing came from Verizon, but after reading this, I was able to go to “System Updates” on the About Phone screen (above) and up popped the update to ICS.

Yes, it’s a totally new phone, but now It’s sucking my battery down very quickly.

38% of my battery goes to Cell Standby, whatever that is. I presume it means mobile data.

Iit wasn’t doing this with Gingerbread; I’ve gone back to Juice Defender, but even with the 1.8 times more battery I’m getting it still ends up lasting only 9-10 hours (instead of 5-6 or whatever).

• David Miller says

Forgot to mention, I’m in NYC and I had no trouble with the update itself. It’s just that now the mobile data (Cell Standby?) is sucking down the battery fairly quickly.

After a full charge it is down to 80% in something like 2 hours; this is never going to last all day without Juice Defender.

Before the ICS update it might take 3-4 hours (or longer) to hit 80%. This is with no appreciable usage, just riding the subway and walking around, maybe reading the occasional email.