Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update Now Available in Canada

The Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update is currently rolling out to owners of the device in Canada and it appears that the update is also available through Samsung’s Kies application for those that don’t wish to wait.

Several owners of Canadian version of the Galaxy S3 have informed Gotta Be Mobile that the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update is now available through an Over-the-Air update and through Samsung Kies. Samsung Galaxy S3 variants on Bell, TELUS, Virgin and Rogers are all saying that the software has become available tonight, as Samsung promised last week.

Samsung said that the update would start rolling out Monday and the company was indeed able to keep that promise. We’ve heard from several owners who got the OTA update only to encounter issues. It appears that updating through Samsung Kies is working for most users so if the OTA update causes problems, Samsung Kies is likely the route that owners will want to take.

Read: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 vs. Samsung Galaxy S III.

Screenshot_2012-12-02-23-56-37

The Galaxy S3 just got Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. In Canada.

The update is a massive one, checking in at over 300MB in size, which means Galaxy S3 owners need to set aside some time to both download and install the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update.

As expected, the update is not Android 4.2 Jelly Bean but Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean, the previous version of Jelly Bean. While the update is not the latest version of Jelly Bean, it’s certainly going pack a punch and will be a massive improvement over the Galaxy S3′s previous operating system, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

The Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update brings a number of new features including a smoother user interface, better Notifications, more Camera app features, Face Unlock improvements, better Calendar and Browser applications and a whole lot more. Our favorite Android 4.1 Jelly Bean features can be seen in the video below.

Now that the update has rolled out in Canada, the next in line for the update should be AT&T, U.S. Cellular and Verizon in the U.S. which have yet to roll out Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for their devices. Sprint and T-Mobile already delivered Jelly Bean to their Galaxy S3 devices.

Thank you Sean and everyone else that sent this in!

Comments

1. Klay says

I have tried to update my Rogers Samsung S3 to Jellybean but I just get a message as follows: “access to the software update service is provided to users in the order in which they request it. Try later”. Any ideas as to what this means?

• ian says

yeah same here tells me that exact same message and i tried using kies and the update still hasnt hit my s3 it seems.. let me know anyone,how i can update it through kies cause i just cant figuire it out .
      Thanks in advance.

2. Randy Brine says

I just wanted to check for the heck of it, and what do you know i had an update waiting. Jelly is installing as we speak. For anyone wondering.My location is Winnipeg (Canada) and my GALAXY S3 IS with TELUS.. I HOPE all of you get yours soon.

• seb says

im a french guy from montreal quebec with telus too im currently installing JELLY BEANN its about timeeee

3. Randy Brine says

The wait didn’t bug me, as my phone worked fine. but i have to say. WOW, phone sped up amazingly. Few extra things on it. Nice improvement. I am easy to satisfy, but i know some will be disappointed as they seemed to be expecting a different phone. Enjoy the update everyone.

• sean says

Plug your phone in to ur pc with the provided usb cable. start kies on ur pc wait for connection then follow on screen instructions

4. dingo says

got it! and LTE seems be to active with Telus in St.John’s for the first time on the same day! Is this really Monday?

5. zigzag says

The Kies AND the OTA server are down. I can’t receive the update.
    Kies is stuck at 7% since the morning.

6. canuck says

4.1.1????? Man I have running 4.2 and a actually now 4.2.1 for while on my Galaxy Nexus.

Why people buy anything other than. nexus phone is beyond me.

7. Shelly says

Just installed my Jellybean on my and my hubby’s SG3 on Telus…OTA, super fast now …now I will wait for 4.2…Thanks Telus…Make sure you go to your device info and check on updates. I didn’t know it was there?? I hit the udate softwear and off it went!

8. anildhull says

updated 4.1.1 jelly bean on S3, speed enhanced, some changes in camera settings, good interface for google and gmail. About 310MB upodate. Waiting for 4.2 now

9. Manu says

Shoot I denied tje update by mistake and now I have the message that everyone its gettin :( I guess ill need to wait :(

10. NoXiouS says

I got update notification a few hours ago on Rogers in Calgary. I decided to do it later after I have a chance to back up everything just in case it screws up. I tried just now and got that try again later message…. Guess I should have ignored the notification until I was home… Oh well, maybe Sunday I’ll have time.