Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 Update Missing in U.S.
While many Samsung Galaxy S3 owners around the globe have received their update to Android 4.1.2 and Samsung’s Premium Suite, owners of the Galaxy S3 in the United States remain without the upgrade, nearly two months after the update first started rolling out.
In the first part of December, Samsung not only started the roll out for its highly anticipated Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update, complete with its Premium Suite, but it also released a video of its own teasing the features that would be coming along with the update.
As many Galaxy S3 owners both in and outside of the United States know, the list of Samsung’s Premium Suite features is quite extensive, even featuring one of the Galaxy Note 2′s premier functions.
Here are a few of the features that are a part of Samsung’s Premium Suite:
- Page Buddy – When a user plugs in headphones the Galaxy S III will bring up a page with the music player.
- Contextual Menu – When looking at apps, sort by most frequently used apps.
- Contextual Tag - Tag the weather, date and place a photo is taken right after snapping it.
- Multi Window - Use two apps at once, just like on the Galaxy Note 2, to enjoy multiple apps at once.
- Auto Share Shot Pairing with NFC – Quickly share photos with Auto Shot Share to other Galaxy S III and S-Beam devices.
- Reader Mode - Control the text size of the web browser and tap on a page to share.
- Facebook Lock Ticker – View a Facebook News Feed on the Galaxy S III lock screen.
That’s not all either, here are a few more:
- Paper Artist - Turn your photos into a pop-artist sketch.
- Low Light Camera Shot - Take better photos in low light without the flash.
- Best Face - Take multiple photos of a group and pick the best face for each person in the group. See how Best Face works.
- Easy Mode - Sets five most often used widgets on the home screen to make using a smartphone simpler for new users.
- Sound Balance - Adjust the sound between left or right in headphones.
- Setup Wizard - View an accessibility menu after turning the phone on.
- Easy Snap - The Galaxy S III tells you how many faces it finds in a photo.
All in all, it’s quite the update for the Galaxy S3 and its owners, and one that has been holding many over until Android 4.2 Jelly Bean inevitably arrives. There is at least one group of Galaxy S3 owners that are still without the update however.
U.S. Galaxy S3 owners have been stuck on Android 4.1.1 and below since Jelly Bean rolled out in 2012. And the problem is, there is no release in sight as all five of the Galaxy S3′s carriers remain mum about a release date for the highly anticipated update.
Samsung nor the carriers will confirm anything to us and thus far, the only date that we have to go on is January 25th, a date that Samsung was supposedly targeting as a date to push the update to carriers in order to finalize the update. Thus far though, we haven’t seen any kind of movement and with the Galaxy S4 on the way, Galaxy S3 owners in the U.S. are hoping that Samsung and carriers haven’t forgotten about what was promised.
In 2012, manufacturers like HTC and Samsung were been able to crunch U.S. device release dates closer together with their counterparts so let’s hope that a focus this year is to make software release dates more congruent with each other.