Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie: 5 Little Things Google Needs to Fix

21 responses

1. Meleagru
    04/19/2013

If this is all you expect out of Android, I’m willing to bet you’re an iPhone user.

• Steven
      04/19/2013

Seconded. There are so many Android specific features (home screen customization, notifications, inter-app play, etc) to, write about. I think most users couldn’t care less if the share screen were uniform lists or icons.

• Caleb Fultz (@cfultz)
        04/21/2013

I usually don’t get upset when reading someone else’s writing, but as stated above, if this is the only thing you can find to complain about, you are not a true Android user. Sure I can see your points, but they are the LAST things anyone needs to worry about for Key Lime. Re-release this article with some more in depth issues, not the fact we only have 2 buttons and the share intent is different across apps.

• Matt
      04/20/2013

“In addition to big changes and features that make users say, “wow!”, Google need to take the time to fix small things in Android.” – These are just little things that he thinks should be fixed in addition to the major changes. Did you even bother to read the damn article?

• Peter Trimboli
        04/20/2013

The headphone problem can’t be helped apple patented the design if he took the time to look into that then it wouldn’t be in this article I took the time to read it and wish i didn’t nothing was good at all the things he pointed out didn’t matter eg the charging who cares if it takes longer to charge you can unlock your bootloader and flash a custom rom that doesn’t have that its very simple opossums are for simple users if you don’t know how to do anything get that this article was pointless look at the comments hell read the article no solid anything -.-

• Matt
        04/20/2013

I honestly don’t care about what is in the article. I was pointing out the fact that Meleagru said these 5 things are the only aspects that the author thinks should be changed in Key Lime which is blatantly FALSE.

2. dinodxynez
    04/19/2013

There are so many details wrong with this article! It’ll be tiring for me to highlight them all. I knoyourself are not familiar with.w for a fact this dude is far from well-versed in all things Android.

His little bio about owning a Galaxy Nexus is probably bogus to the extent that it had been purchased solely to say ‘I own an Android’. This story is a waste and an embarrassment to wannabe tech bloggers and journalists.

Properly aquiant yourself first before writing distorted and innacurate details.

• dinodxynez
      04/19/2013

Apologies for the misspelled words I was aggravated while typing the post.

• wolf
        04/20/2013

Can you enlighten us with one or two incorrect details you’ve mentioned? Specifics or they don’t exist.

3. macc
    04/19/2013

liked all, but turn on when plug in. They have a button to turn them on, if you calibrating the battery, that feature will be a total fail, cuz you dont need the device to turn on when you plug it in to calibrate the battery.

4. Eric Ma
    04/19/2013

This article is so wrong. A menu button is absolutely better than a sudden popupwhen you touch the scren. So does back button where you know exactly where to push vs search the screen for different app.

5. Eric Ma
    04/19/2013

Auto turn on a device is the worst design. Old Motorola droid and Dell windows vista bothered me a lot. I usually charge at night and its troublesome to wait for it to start up then turn it off. We are human. We control computer. Software industry pay too much attention to minority requirement that turn out to annoy majority users.

6. Eric Ma
    04/19/2013

Worst, after you finally turn it off, what if you need to switch to another socket? What if there’s a power failure at night, you definitely don’t want your phone to wake you up. Again, human control device, ok.

7. mateor
    04/19/2013

I thought this was a well thought out list of issues. I nodded my head with most of them, and I bet they are all somewhere on the Android to-do list.

Well, except for standardized charging state, I don’t really care about that. I have had several times where that feature of my Paranoid Android Nook Color (which is always on when cable is attached) actually was a hindrance. And I am in agreement with the general movement to take away from the settings creep, rather than add to it. The standard user does NOT need to be bothered with a setting for charge state,

But a well thought out list, from someone who has obviously spent the time on the platform.

8. Jonathan
    04/19/2013

All of these issues have nothing to do with Google and Android itself. These are all ‘issues’ with the manufacturers. Except for the sharing thing. Though, having a bajillion different sharing options is the fault of the users, and again isn’t a Google/Android problem. This whole article appears flawed.

9. Peter Trimboli
    04/20/2013

First of all apple patented there headphones so android cannot use the same wiring its not Google’s fault you can buy headphones like some beats headphones but it was patented and some converting adapters are avaliable for apple headphones – android and as for capacitive keys there are pie controls avaliable Google it if you don’t know what it is every other problem didn’t make sense iPhone is too simple you can’t customize or do anything good unless you jail break it the end

10. Rafael Boy (@rafabr4)
    04/20/2013

I agree with the toggle setting for turning on the device when connected to power. A lot of users like me, actually enjoy charging our phones while powered off, like when we are sleeping for example.

11. Josh
    04/20/2013

I wouldn’t mind turning my phone off during the night to charge. My problem is that I have to be up at 3am and I think they should make it to where the phone turns on around the alarm time like the blackberry did.

12. matt
    05/07/2013

Personnaly liking, loving my capacitive menu button. It is kind of confusing that manufacturers will not adapt to a standard. Frustrating, even.
    back, home, menu. With longpresses. Thank you!

13. Justin Kelvianto
    06/25/2013

yeah.. if like that, it will look like Windows Phone..

14. Apple