5 Reasons Buyers Need to Wait for the New MacBook Pro Release

The new MacBook Pro release could be as close as September with a brand new battery boosting processor that users won’t want to miss, which is why it’s a good time to hold off on plans to purchase a new MacBook Pro.

After seeing MacBook Pro benchmarks in July we urged buyers to hold off, and now with leaks and rumors pointing to a new MacBook Pro Retina release date in September or October, likely alongside the a new MacBook Pro without Retina, it remains a bad time to buy a new MacBook Pro.

It’s also not the best time to buy a new iMac which rumors suggest could arrive in September as well. At this point, the only Apple notebook worth buying is the new MacBook Air, which Apple updated in June.

We’ll explain why you should wait for the new MacBook Pro release date to buy a new Apple notebook.

Expect a new MacBook Pro release date in the next two months with plenty of reasons buyers should wait.

Even without the solid leads on a September or October new MacBook Pro event, Apple is due to release a new MacBook Pro in the coming months. It’s been nearly 200 days since a MacBook Pro with Retina Update and almost 450 days since a new MacBook Pro update. According to MacRumor’s tracking this puts a New MacBook Pro with Retina upgrade 70 days over the average and a new MacBook Pro 176 days over the average update.

5 Reasons to Wait for the New MacBook Pro Release

Some users may not be able to wait for the new MacBook Pro thanks to a broken computer or other issue, but if there is anyway to hold off buying for a few weeks or months, here are five reasons we recommend waiting for the new MacBook Pro and new MacBook Pro with Retina.

Better Battery Life

The new Intel Haswell processors offer dramatically better battery life, jumping the MacBook Air Battery life from 7 hours to 12 hours for the 13-inch model and from 5 hours to 9 hours on the 11-inch model. That’s a boost of 70% on the 13-inch and 80% on the 11-inch model.

One of the biggest new MacBook Pro features could be dramatically longer battery life.

The MacBook Pro with Retina Display and MacBook Pro currently boasts a 7 hour battery life claim from Apple, which could potentially jump up to 12 hours similar to the MacBook Air. Of course there are other factors at play.

In our tests, the MacBook Air can last a full day of real work without the need to find a plug. If this transfers over to the new MacBook Pro models it alone is a good reason to wait.

Faster WiFi

The MacBook Air brought faster 802.11ac WiFi to Apple’s notebooks and we should see this come to the MacBook Pro Retina and MacBook Pro when they see new updates.

Look for faster 802.11ac WiFi on the new MacBook Pro.

Look for faster 802.11ac WiFi on the new MacBook Pro.

Apple already offers an 802.11ac Time Capsule which will help a new MacBook Pro back up faster and the new WiFi delivers better range and performance in general.

Faster Storage

As part of a upgrade to the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display and the new MacBook Pro we could see faster storage. Again, the new MacBook Air comes with new PCIe storage which offers faster performance.

We could see faster PCIe SSD storage on the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display. via iFixit

We could see Apple use PCIe flash storage on the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display to speed things up. We could see Apple bring a Fusion drive to the MacBook Pro which currently comes with a hard drive and solid state options.

Better Graphics

We could also see improved integrated graphics thanks to the an integrated Intel GPU, the Intel Iris Pro 5200, which is powering the Crysis video game shown below.

This may be a bigger issue on the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display which does not include a dedicated NVIDIA GPU like the 15-inch model.

Thunderbolt 2

We already know the new Mac Pro will add Thunderbolt 2 this fall, a new version of the Thunderbolt connection found on all current MacBook notebooks that supports 4k displays. This could mean the new MacBook Pro could power a 4k display.

macbook-pro-retina-display-ports

We may see Thunderbolt 2 arrive on the new MacBook Pro for 2013.

Some rumors claim Apple is planning to announce a 4k Thunderbolt display this fall designed to arrive with the Mac Pro and enhanced multi-monitor support from OS X Mavericks.

Read: OS X Mavericks vs. Mountain Lion Multi Monitor Support (Video)

It’s very likely that we will see the new Macs come alongside OS X Mavericks which is currently in beta. The new version of OS X comes with better multiple monitor support, Finder tabs and tags, iCloud Keychain, iBooks, Maps and new technology that can deliver better battery life.

Comments

1. Annie says

I wish they already had a new macbook out, i’m wanting one now that school is starting, and Apple has a student discount; which ends in a few days. I’m torn, and a little concerned with comments from people about the bad batteries on their macbooks.

• CF says

Annie, there is nothing to be torn about. Hold on till 10th September and if they announce a new MacBook Pro, get it. If they don’t, no worries, they must release a new one within 2013. Always invest your money in the newest technology it can buy, so you will be able to enjoy it for a longer period of time before the system gets overwhelmed without chance to properly handle the new versions of OS X.

Show yourself you can control that anxiety and compulsive thought for buying a MacBook Pro today, be good to yourself and use your savings wisely.

Best, C.

• Jared says

Annie, I know exactly how you feel, I’m in the same situation but I have decided that I’m going to wait until they release the new macbook pro, lets face it macs are already incredibly expensive so I would reccomend waiting another month or two so that you can get the latest and greatest

• Matt L says

Annie the reason they do those student discounts is to get rid of the old stock, everyone buying those computers will regret it when the next one comes out. Saving 100$ isn’t much when you can get newer (& more expensive) technology for the same price without a “discount”. In the end you will be the winner for waiting!

• iName says

You’ll still get a student discount for purchasing a Mac but the $100 iTunes credit deal will expire soon and honestly it’s not worth it. A few years ago when the deal was getting a free iPod with your Mac purchase it was awesome but the iTunes gift card offer is a joke. Wait for the new MacBook to be announced, it’s going to worth it for the new Haswell processor alone.

• Kyle Breckenridge (@kbrec85) says

Also remember that, when the new model come out, prices on last generation will drop. You’ll probably end up spending the same money if you buy current gen now, or the exact same laptop after the release of the new model.

2. Gate Satoru says

I somehow feel like Apple will drop the Unibody MacBook Pro / non-retina MacBook Pro. Since the Model Identifier for the Unibody is 9.1 and 9.2 and the Retina starts at 10.1 and 10.2, it’s almost as if the Ivy Bridge is last update for the MacBook Pro Unibody.

Let’s see if Apple will keep or discontinue the Unibody MacBook Pro

3. Jesse R. says

I can’t wait for the new one. I was fortunate to have drop the newest macbook pro with retina 15″ with 512 SSD. I had the protection plan from Best Buy and they were not able to fix it so I was giving the option of replacing it or taking a gift card and wait for the new one. Of course I am waiting for the new one. So please announce the new one.

4. Duder says

i feel totally ripped off having bought the highest-end last september to find out that the battery life is complete garbage. under 4hrs with the most minimal usage possible. not happy about it at all. if you’re on the fence for waiting, trust me WAIT.

5. JS says

So, I’m on the fence too about getting the MacBook Pro now, but looks like I should wait.

Do you know if the student/educator discount is always the same amount each time? Right now, it is at $200/discount and the MacBook Pro 13″ non-retina was quoted to me at $999 after this discount. Will the price for the NEW MacBook Pro (Fall 2013) be at the same range as the version right now or will it go up? Any thoughts? Just doing the numbers is all…though ultimately, will probably wait it out…hoping it will be released. My MacBook I use with student is still working, but on its last leg for sure.

Thanks for any specific feedback you can offer.

Hangin’ In There

6. kamal says

I will wait to see what they have to say in the upcoming conference/release date. I will wait for the new Macbook pro no matter what.

7. Michael Rize says

No need to wait for the Macbook Pro.. Macbook Air is out and it is just as fast as the currently released Macbook Pro but with 10+ hours battery life, plus thin & light. Macbook Air is the bomb. Research it.

• Francis Shin says

Haswell MBA is nowhere close in any benchmark to the latest 15″ retina MBP. The 15″ MBP is 50-100% faster. The 13″ MBP is still definitely faster in all benchmarks compared to a MBA, 15-20% faster. Please stop spouting your ideas as facts where every benchmarks contradicts your perception.

8. Ccccc says

How much do you expect the new MacBook Pro to be? I’m looking into getting a new one, depending on the price.

• Anoop says

You can get a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter from Apple :) I recently bought a 13-inch Air its awesome – true all day battery indeed :) I moved to this(for financial reasons) from my maxed out old Late 2011 15-inch Macbook Pro. Quite frankly, I don’t see any reduction is performance, except for maybe during gaming. But I am not a gamer anymore(ever since I got the new Xbox :) )

9. Francis Shin says

There is a lot of evidence in the rumour mill to support the new 15″ rMBP will not have a dedicated video card and will instead use the new Intel Iris integrated graphics chip. Just something to keep in mind to compare the yet to be released 15″ rMBP vs the 2012 rMBP. FYI, Iris does not outperform the current 650M. At best it is equal but mostly subpar. The plus is it will suck less power than a dedicated card. Personally I hope this will not be the case.

• CF says

To run a Macbook Pro with retina display you need a top-notch video card. Whether that is integrated or not I couldn’t care less, since whatever they [Apple] choose, must have the power to support the retina and therefore will be far ahead than any card that could run on the MBA. What is important is to keep the proportions and the context of what is involved here. We are talking about the most powerful laptop with the best display on Earth. How can you care about what card they are throwing at it when actually they will just throw the best they can? And this choice will be definitely better than any other manufacturer’s choice for any model in this range and better than any MBA.

10. Elloday says

I just bought a new MacBook Pro from my university because my 2009 model just died. My school had a promotion that saved me $150 dollars plus the $100 gift card that ends today. There is a 14 day return policy, should I wait?

11. Johnathan says

I’m really hoping that they [Apple] do return the optical drive bay with a new launch in the MacBook Pro line. The Super Drive is under or about $80 depending on where you get it from (which is affordable, in my opinion), but i don’t understand why it would be removed in order to add more accelerated processors/features if 99% of consumers enjoy the feeling of being able to run discs on their computer. That’s not being compact.

• Mark says

I’d be shocked if they added it back to any of their laptops. The soon to be launched new Mac Pro and the current iMacs do not have built in DVD drives. I personally agree with Apple’s decision (at least for laptops), but I know that not everyone agrees.

• Ki Chun TONG (KitchenT) says

Personally I don’t think I enjoy running discs on my computer. The internet today has been so mature that there’s almost nothing you can’t find on the internet. The only occasion I needed to use a disc in three years time was to install Windows 7, and I just needed to borrow the Super Drive from a friend of mine. It’s no-brainer to remove the optical drive in return for better performance. I don’t know where your ‘99%’ figure comes from. But if there’s anything, it would be to launch a Blu-ray drive for a small population on demand.

12. Dhanesh says

One more thing, as apple deciding to remove Optical Drive, will there be design change in new MacbookPro (Non-Ratina) same as Ratina Design we currently have?

13. Hht says

I’m still waiting on the new MacBook Pro, my father offered to buy it for me my school is an all apple so it hard not to have a laptop cuz my old one broke. Anyone have heard new updates ?

14. wang says

I like the Pro with optical drive because I can use that space as my second HDD. I hope the new pro will have optical drive