How to Install iOS 7 Early for Free
If you absolutely can’t wait for the iOS 7 release date to try all the amazing new iOS 7 features that will come to the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch later this month users with sense of adventure can install iOS 7 early without paying $99 to join Apple’s developer program.
Apple announced the iOS 7 GM, or Gold Master earlier today offering downloads to registered iOS 7 developers who need to finish up their iOS 7 app updates ahead of the official IOS 7 release date on September 18th.
Like many Apple iOS GM releases, the iOS 7 GM is one that users can install without registering their device with the Apple developer program. We’ve confirmed that anyone with a supported iOS 7 device can install the iOS 7 GM to use the near final version of Apple’s new iOS software.
Before you go looking for an iOS 7 download link and start installing iOS 7 on your iPhone or iPad, there are a few warnings. First off the iOS 7 GM is not meant for the general public so there could still be a few bugs. It’s also important to note that you’ll need to find an iOS 7 GM download link that is not from Apple, which means you will be downloading software that breaks a software agreement with Apple. Finally, if you plan to jailbreak and are holding out hope for an iOS 6.1.4 jailbreak it’s a good idea to simply wait this one out.
The iOS 7 release date is just over a week away when users will be able to install it as a free over the air update with a much smoother process, and one that won’t need repeating in the near future.
How to Install the iOS 7 GM
The iOS 7 GM is available for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and installing iOS 7 early is free thanks to the iOS 7 GM not requiring a UDID activation or coming with an expiration date like the normal iOS 7 betas.
1. Find an iOS 7 GM download link from a site like IMZDL or on social media.
2. Download the right iOS 7 GM for your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
3. Plug the device into the computer and perform a backup. Installing the iOS 7 beta will erase your iPhone so plan to wait for a restore and sync. We didn’t lose any data, but if this sounds like a hassle, wait until the official iOS 7 release date.
4. Open iTunes and upgrade to the iOS 7 Beta by choosing Restore.
- Be sure to hold alt/option on Mac when you click Restore.
- On Windows, hold Shift when you click Restore.
5. Find and click on the .ipsw file you downloaded.
6. Complete the iOS 7 installation and restore from backup.
Users can install the iOS 7 GM on the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2 and iPad mini as well as the iPod touch 5th gen.
Apple announced the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C today at a special event where the focus was on iPhone and iOS 7. We expect a new iPad and new MacBook Pro units at a different event in the near future.