How to Upgrade from the iOS 7 Beta to iOS 7 Public Release

If you are one of the many users who installed the iOS 7 beta or iOS 7 GM to try out the new iOS 7 features before the public release today, you cannot simply check for an iOS 7 update and get off of the beta or off the iOS 7 GM.

Thankfully, upgrading from the iOS 7 beta to the iOS 7 public release is straightforward and you can even avoid the long process of a restore.

The process may take a little longer than the average iOS 7 update time, but it will be much faster than performing a full restore. Upgrading from an iOS 7 beta to the public release is necessary for users who are not on the iOS 7 GM, as earlier betas expire. The iOS 7 GM does not expire, but users may want to upgrade anyway to get on the official release, especially if they are not an actual developer.

If you are a regular user, follow this iOS 7 Upgrade guide for an easier experience.

Read: iOS 7 Release Time: When to Expect the iOS 7 Download

How to Upgrade from the iOS 7 Beta to iOS 7 Final

The first thing you will need to do is find the official iOS 7 download for your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. If you are an official iOS Developer, go to the iOS Developer Center where Apple publishes the iOS 7 download links and start downloading.

If you installed the GM for free or paid $7 or $8 to try the iOS 7 beta through a site like IMZDL or others, you will need to find the iOS 7 download link on your own. It is typically easier to get the final iOS 7 release download link than that of a beta, so expect a plethora of iOS 7 download options late today or tomorrow.

1. Download the iOS 7 official release .ipsw.

2. Plug your iPhone or iPad into a computer and open iTunes.

3. Perform a backup to the computer just to be safe.

4. In iTunes click on the iPhone option in the upper right and when you see the Restore and Upgrade options you are on the right screen.

This step will upgrade you to the official iOS 7 release version.

This step will upgrade you to the official iOS 7 release version.

5. Now special click on Check for Update. To do this,

• Hold alt/option on Mac when you click Check for Update.
  • On Windows, hold Shift when you click Check for Update.

6. Browse to the iOS 7 download you just finished and click on the .ipsw file.

7. Let the iOS 7 upgrade complete and you should be on the official iOS 7 version without the need for a lengthy restore.

Comments

1. Fluffy says

The IPSW files are not public. You can get them if you belong to the iOS developers program.

2. Jason says

You should ALWAYS back up your phone first.. close out all apps and do a hard reset first. You should also update your iTunes to 11.1. There have been some cases where the synch does not work when you are done updating your phone or ipad.

3. Rohan Gupta says

I have 2 questions.
    1. My iPad 3 is currently running iOS 7 Beta 6 (I am NOT a developer, and I installed it for free) will I be able to upgrade to the public release using the steps mentioned above?

2. Can someone confirm if this works or not?

4. nathan says

can someone PLEASE say where to get this mysterious ipsw file since whoever wrote this article didn’t deem that piece of information to be of any importance! not a bootleg one, a way to get the OFFICIAL apple release???????????

5. Benjamin says

I have a question ,
    I have been told that if I don’t have an backup from iOS 6 I am f****d and I lost all my data… Is that true??
    Also , Can I update from iOS 7 GM To the Offical Build without losing all of my data following this guide up here?

Thanks A lot,
    Benjamin

6. Alex says

Apple just updated the developer website to include the official iOS 7 release version instead of the GM Seed

7. Jason Cardoz says

i really need help i saw my brother’s iPad and it showed software update for ios 7 but i have the gm and it said ios 7.0 latest version i tried to connect to iTunes but it said cant sync need itunes 11.1 anyone know whats going on has my ipod updated by itself?!

8. usk says

I have installed the GM, and once I tried to update to the official release I’m getting this message:
    “the iPhone could not be updated because the firmware is not compatible”
    What should I do?

9. [email protected] says

mine sais the same ! if i resotre from the gm will i get the public release

10. [email protected] says

if i do a full resore of ios 7 gm does it automaticly update to public ?

11. wackojacko894 says

Can you tell me if there is any difference between the GM version and the public release?

12. wackojacko894 says

Just found out if you put your iPhone in recovery mode and press restore it downloads the public release!!

• [email protected] says

are you sure

13. [email protected] says

ye it works just a piss take because download is like 20 hours haha

14. agv says

I restored the backup from the ipsw for my iphone 4 gsm and I can’t activate it. I tried with iTunes and with the installation through the phone, any ideas? Thanks!

15. Cory Jay says

Guys, it’s more simple to update iTunes to 11.1.0, plug in your phone and click Update…
    It directly downloads and updates your phone.

16. Steven says

just update itunes to 11.1.0 and your update will be available when you plug in your phone

17. Patty says

You can just plug you for phone on your computer, open iTunes, then Check Update. I’m using Beta and this is what I did. I’m now running the official update.

18. Ahmed says

I have a PROBLEM!!! My IP5 is in ios 7 beta 6, when I try to update to the public virgin it stuck in recovery mode and itunes doesn’t recognize it !
    please HELP!!!!

19. MarkieB says

If you have an iPhone 5 and you are getting the firmware not compatible error, it’s probably because the two firmware links for the iPhone 5 are the wrong way around. iPhone5,2_7 is for A1429 & iPhone5,1_7 is for A1428. Using the ‘right’ one (according to the link names), results in firmware not compatible. Using the ‘wrong’ one allows the update to go ahead.

20. jamie says

I would like to know if I can dl the new ios 7 from the beta (non developer) through I tunes and will still be able to activate it..

• Ahmed says

I have the right firmware, however when I try to either update or restore itunes says that its preparing IP. the iphone goes in recovery mood and it stuck. after a while it says error 1645 the i need redsn0w to exit recovery mood

21. Sachin says

U don’t need to do all this. Just plug your phone to the latest iTunes 11.1, and hit restore. If it says there is not software update, put your phone in the DFU mode andlet iTunes to the work for you. Remember to take a backup, if you want to restore the phone later

• Ahmed says

I’ve allredy done this
      When I restore the phone goes in recovery mood and it says error

22. rohang96 says

I am running iOS 7 beta 6 on my iPad 3 and I’m not a developer.
    I downloaded iTunes 11.1 and pluggled in my iPad and clicked check for update.
    It says an update is available. Should I follow the update procedure or should I still try clicking on restore?
    And I’m scared that I’ll end up locking out my device for installing beta on a non-dev account.
    Can anyone help me. I just bought this iPad and I’m scared that I’ll brick it.
    Please help..

23. biser borisov (@biskata_borisov) says

I have iOS beta 6 and iTunes 11.1 – Both my iPhone and Ipad when connected dusplay a pop-up (on the device itself) “Trust this computer?” – I click “Yes” and in 2 seconds it pops up again. I that is an inifinite loop; reapectively the iTunes does not see any device connected. What do I do?

24. Jack says

This works for me. Im running a ios 7 beta 6 non-developer on a iphone 5. Get the latest Itunes. Download the public IPSW file from the links given in previous comments or just google them, Connect your iphone, do a back up, Hold Shift and click Update, search for the downloaded IPSW file and you’re done!

25. Michael says

All I had to do was update iTunes to 11.1 and then I plugged in my phone with beta 6 or 7 (I cannot remember) and iTunes said there was an update for my phone. I updated no problem.

• iOSDev5298 says

There is absolutely no difference, you will be able to get further updates just like other via OTA. :)

• Manny2010 says

To end the hesitation for people who are running iOS7 beta 6 or the GM, who do not have a developer account, and who wish to upgrade to the official/public release of iOS 7, below are the steps that you need to do so may be able to update your iDevice(s). Please follow the steps in the order enumerated below:

(1) Make sure to download the latest version of iTunes, this should be 11.1. After downloading, install it and make sure there is no error in the installation, otherwise you may need to re-install;

(2) Download the CORRECT IPSW file for your iDevice. You should be able to download from http://www.redmondpie.com/download-ios-7-final-ipsw-for-iphone-5-4s-4-ipad-and-ipod-touch-direct-links/

This eats up a lot of time so i suggest you do this first before proceeding to the next steps. Assuming that your download for the correct ipsw file for you iDevice has completed, save the file in your desktop.

(3) Close ALL running applications in your iDevice. After doing this, and assuming that you were able to SUCCESSFULLY install iTunes, launch iTunes and plug your iDevice to the PC/Mac via USB cable. By default, once plugging your iDevice via USB to the PC/Mac, iTunes should initiate sync immediately. Otherwise, sync it manually.

IMPORTANT NOTE: if upon plugging your iDevice via USB to the PC/Mac, iTunes gives you a dialogue box informing you that a new update is available for your iDevice and asks you if you wish to download it, please close the dialogue box and do the next step. If you click otherwise, it will proceed with the download and eventually will start updating your phone but an error will appear since you are not a developer.

(4) While your iDevice has completed syncing, do this in iTunes: perform a full backup of your iDevice. Note that the backup only saves the usual stuff from your iDevice such as applications, messages, phone book entries, images, videos and music, NOT the iOS itself. So don’t worry restoring the back up after updating your iDevice. Please take note of the time of the completed backup as this will be your indicator once you select the correct back up file when you eventually restore after you are done with updating.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before performing the back up, make sure to authorize your PC/Mac in iTunes. To do this, in iTunes, got to Store Menu>Authorize this Computer, it should ask you for your apple ID and password, input these.

(5) After the complete and successful back up, turn off your idevice (hit the sleep/power button then slide to power off). Once the phone is completely shutoff, hit the power/sleep button and the home button SIMULTANEOUSLY for EXACTLY ten (10) seconds, afterwhich release the sleep/power button ONLY while continue pressing down on the home button until a message in iTunes appears which says: “iTunes has detected an iPhone(or whatever iDevice you are using) in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes”. When you are able to see that message, this means that you were able to successfully enter Device Firmware Update (DFU) mode, click on “OK”. If you havent seen that message though, repeat the procedure because you are not in DFU mode.

NOTE: in DFU mode, you should only see a BLANK SCREEN. No apple logo, no battery charging indicator, etc. If you see any of these, you are not in DFU mode.

(6) After clicking OK in DFU mode, hit SHIFT KEY (for windows) and ALT Option (for Mac) and click the RESTORE (not update. this isnt an available option in DFU anyway) then navigate to the ipsw file which you already have downloaded. In these instructions, the ipsw is saved on the desktop. Once the ipsw is located, hit OK.

From this point, iTunes will do the rest, do not do anything unless iTunes asks you to do so. After the has completed, iTunes will detect your iDevice, it will then ask you if you wish to “Set up as nee iDevice” or to “Restore from back up” then choose the back up file you earlier performed that is why taking note of the time is important. Then iTunes will load up everyting, apps, images, music, videos, etc. After completion of backup, iTunes will once again detect your iDevice and it will start syncing. All you have to do is wait and relax for it to complete, and you are done!!!

NOTE: To check whether you are on the official/public release of iOS 7, go to your iDevice’s Settings>Genera>About, you should be able to see Version 7.0 (11A465). Also, after being successful with the foregoing procedures, you should be able to upgrade to future iOS 7 updates over the air (OTA).

The foregoing procedure worked for me who is a non-developer with iOS 7 beta 6 running on my iPhone 4S. If you follow the procedure, it will work like a charm.

I hope this helps everyone out who are beta users without a developer account.

• Nitin Vegi says

Hi,
        I have an iPod Touch 5th generation which is currently running on iOS 7 Beta 5. I never got an OTA update for the Beta 6 version. Can i update my iPod directly from the Beta 5 to iOS 7 official release version ? Will my iPod get updated by following the above steps.
        Please reply asap.
        I have downloaded the iTunes 11.1.
        Again my iPod is on iOS 7 “Beta 5″ not “Beta 6″ (without a developers account).
        Please let me know if i can update my iPod.

26. Nitin Vegi says

Hi,
    Please reply asap.
    I have downloaded the iTunes 11.1.