How to Use Personal Hotspot on iOS 7

25 responses

1. Joao Oliveira
    09/18/2013

Seriously?! What the hell happened to this blog?! Oh my god!

2. Ron
    09/21/2013

I was warned by the folks at Verizon that if I used my iPhone 5s as a mobile hotspot, it would burn through my battery and shorten the useful life of the battery. Do you think this is true? They were trying to sell me a dedicated mobile hot spot device, so I wonder if it was just a hard sell.

• Alan Mascall
      09/22/2013

Ron – yes it does eat battery, but I don’t know if it will shorten battery life over time, it certainly does over the course of the day. If I use my phone with my laptop, I always put the phone on charge, or it will just run flat in a few hours.

• Ron
        09/23/2013

Thanks. The Verizon folks also told me that the mobile hotspot would cause the iPhone to overheat. It felt like a hard sell, but I admit that they made me nervous to do any damage to my precious new iPhone 5S! :-)

• Josh W
        04/04/2014

All devices will get hot after continuous use. The chance of damaging your device from normal use however is unlikely. I’ve never heard of using hotspot to shorten the life of your batter, however it definitely will cause your battery to die quicker, but that’s because it’s constantly being used to share your data with other devices.

The only thing to be mindful of is keeping an eye on the temperature of your phone. with any type of electronics, a lot of heat for a long period of time can damage the device. This is true with any device though, including the mobile hotspot. The ways this is prevented in devices is with proper cooling and/or ventalation. Taking off a case if one is on can help with ventalation. Be careful because the device can become very hot to the touch so beware not to burn yourself if you are more sensitive to heat.

• Kris
      09/27/2013

The other thing to consider is that if it is eating through a charge you will have to charge more often, and while batteries have improved there are only so many times that it can be recharged, running it as a hotspot will not shorten how many recharge cycles a battery will use but it will make you charge more often. That said by the time a standard user, who is using a mobile hotspot occasionally runs through that cycle they will normally be looking for a new iPhone. Is it in the realm of possibility that it can, in some situations, cause an iPhone to overheat or shorten the batteries life? Yes, but it is incredibly unlikely and they are giving you the worst case scenario without telling you that it is a worst case scenario, as a side note any app that your run can do this but 99.998% of the time won’t, also sometimes you get a faulty battery, just a luck of the draw kind of thing.

• Ron
        09/27/2013

Thanks, So far, I’ve been using the Mobile Hotspot with no problems at all. It runs through about 10% of my battery life per hour of hotspot usage, which really isn’t so bad. I have been quite pleased with the battery life of my iPhone overall, and can get one or two days’ usage from a single charge. (I switched from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which required 2 or 3 charges per day for the same level of usage.)

3. Alan Mascall
    09/22/2013

I’m with Joao – where’s the rest of this article please?

4. Alex
    09/22/2013

I have a iphon 4 and the blue line does not come on I can see my hotspot on my laptop but it won’t connect help

5. Jack
    09/26/2013

You may see a troubleshooting of personal hotspot at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2756

6. youssef
    09/29/2013

i have iphone 5,i try to connect on hotspot to black berry bold 3 but it’s not working..why ??

7. Alesia
    09/30/2013

The hotspot is on but the internet is not working. On the phone, instead of saying Russ’s iPhone it as something that looks like another language

8. Scott S.
    10/11/2013

I am reading about a lot of issues with the iPhone hotspots so i have a question. When you all are making the connection to the hotspot, is the hotspot screen open on your iphone or is something else open. I am curious if those who are having problems connecting do not have the Personal Hotspot screen open. I have found that I CANNOT see the hotspot connection unless the screen is open and active. Once its connected I can do whatever I want, short of turning the power off or going out of range. If it disconnects, I have to go back to that Personal Hotspot screen until my other devices reconnect. Anyone else notice this, I think it may be the root of alot of the connection problems, but i don’t see anything mentioning this. ANYONE!!

9. Scott S.
    10/11/2013

Additionally, as a follow up to my previous comment. When you open the screen it takes a second or two to reconnect. My devices will reconnect automatically, IF I have the screen open and provided that I have previously made the connection and satisfied the security controls.

10. Stefan N
    10/18/2013

I can not get a mobile hotspot on my line. My wifes works perfect. mine says “Call” or ‘Go on line” very frustrating

• Virginia Roach
      11/20/2013

Mine says the same thing. I called My carrier they said they just needed to turn in on and then said it is On.. But I still see the same thing Call etc…

11. crystalbolduc
    11/01/2013

I have the new iphone 5S and there is no HOTSPOT link anywhere in the settings menu. I have searched every single link and it does not show up anywhere! Please help!

• Ron
      11/01/2013

In my iPhone 5S, it is the fifth row in the Settings menu (immediately below “Cellular”). It is called “Personal Hotspot.”

12. Bob
    11/03/2013

On my iPhone 5 I have to touch Cellular in the Settings menu and it pops up there. And refers you to ATT where they will tell you how much it will cost to use.

13. Johnny
    11/04/2013

Your ISP has the ability to remove Personal Hotspot from your phone via the Carrier Settings, in that case it won’t show in the menu. You have to contact your ISP to enable it (and probably pay a monthly fee).

As for battery life, I say bulls*it. I have an unlimited data plan (no hard limit; soft limit @ 10 GB/month where speed is reduced to the ISP’s standard wired tier speed) and when I got my iPhone4 two years ago, I cut my hard line internet and have used the Personal Hotspot as my internet link on my desktop ever since. So, 2+ years of daily connection via the phone. Battery is fine, seems as good as day one.

14. Joan Ballantyne
    11/23/2013

I am frustrated I have Iphone 5 ios7. and when I communicated to chat person on ATT they then said I would have to pay 35 month. ?????

15. David H.
    12/02/2013

Thais happens to me and your post is the first time I have found out anything that says this!!

16. Maryam
    12/22/2013

My laptop can connect to my iPhone 5s but it can’t open any pages. I tried with internet explore and also with mozilla fire fox

17. Jonathan
    12/23/2013

mine says to call or go online to activate hotspot on verizon with iphone 5s.

18. Rapidoodle
    03/29/2014

Mine said, for to enable hotspot you need to contact globe