How to Fix Keyboard Lag in iOS 7 on the iPhone 4s

iOS 7 officially released yesterday to much fanfare, and users with an iPhone 4 or newer are able to get in on the fun. I shared my first impressions of iOS 7 running on the iPhone 4s, and the performance was splendid overall. However, many of you have been experiencing a ton of keyboard lag when typing messages and emails — something that I never came across during my experience.

However, there’s an easy way to fix it, but it’s simply more of a temporary fix rather than a permanent one, since we’re hoping that Apple will hear about the bug and issue a small update to fix it sometime in the near future. The keyboard lag problem lies within iCloud, which is an odd place to have a keyboard lag issue, but many iPhone 4s users have sworn by this fix.

2013-09-19 09.11.45

Fixing iOS 7 Keyboard Lag

If you’re experiencing lag and delays when typing out messages, try this: Open up the Settings app and navigate to iCloud > Documents & Data. That will open up another window where you’ll see a toggle switch. Turn it off if it already isn’t (i.e., the circle in the toggle switch should be on the left side).

2013-09-19 09.11.33After disabling Documents & Data, the keyboard should work just fine, but be sure to open up iMessage or another typing app and try it out just to make sure. Afterward, you can turn back on Documents & Data sync if you need to, but if you open iCloud > Storage & Backup, the keyboard problem is said to appear again (according to some of our readers), so you’ll have to turn off Documents & Data sync again if you do that.

From what we’ve been hearing from readers, this has fixed the problem for everyone. However, if this doesn’t fix it for you, you can try a last-resort fix. You can open up the Settings app and navigate to General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will only reset the settings and it won’t delete any data or media that you have stored on your device, but you’ll have to go back into the Settings app and change everything back to how you had them before. However, we’re told that this also worked to fix the keyboard lag issue.

You should be all set to go at this point. If you come across any other bugs in iOS 7 (and fixes for them, if you discover any), let us know about them and we’ll be sure to write about it on the site and help spread the word!

Comments

1. Aimee says

A BIG thank you! I was freaking out this morning about this and now I can calm down and enjoy my phone again! Aimee :)

2. Rachel says

Thank you for this, the workaround has sorted this out, hope apple send a more permanent fix very soon. Was driving me MAD :-) thankyou.

3. Alicia says

I have an iPhone 4s and was having AWFUL lagging problem. this helped a lot and is now working more to speed. thanks so so much! hopefully a more permanent fix will come soon !

4. Katherine says

Thank you so much!!!! I was going crazy and thought it would always be like this. It also works for the iPhone 5 (:

5. Jess says

Thank you so much! Had this problem on my iPhone 4 and it was driving me crazy, but this fixed it perfectly :)

6. Matt says

Thank you for this. Works for an iPhone 4 as well – my Keyboard lag was happening on the lock screen as well, but this workaround corrected it

7. Rani says

my imessage and facetime is not working. i have 4s, and before the upgrade to ios7 i dint have any problem. keeps saying network error.

• Olivea says

Thank you so much. This was driving me mad! Have you any ideas when the bug fix will be out!? What a genius

8. Ashlei says

Thanks so much! I have an iPad2 and was having problems even with unlocking my iPad! Hopefully they will send a patch to fix it soon but this worked for now! Much appreciated!

9. Emmett says

Thank you – the icloud shut-off worked for my 4S. Looking forward to the permanent fix!

10. Mickey Segal says

Does iOS7 add any way to delete “Documents & Data” stored on the phone? Various threads from earlier this year suggest it is marooned storage, but then there didn’t seem to be any way of deleting such data.

11. Efrain says

There is a bug with the imessage when u switch to landscape mode with the keyboard up, the animation and transition lags pretty bad. Both on my iphone 5 and ipad mini! Thats the only bug i have encounter

12. Steve says

Was just about to revert to ios6 on my iPhone 4 when I saw your post! Thanks! Now I love ios7!

13. Brent says

Worked for mine too. I’m pretty surprised such a basic bug got through. Mine was lagging on the lock screen too.

14. Danyel Griffin says

thank you so much my iphone was about to take flying lessons across the room you have just saved it must add that the Orange and EE websites should have had this and it didnt awful tech help cheers again

15. Silviu says

thank you so much,to bad i found this fix after trowing my phone to the pavement and crack it …

16. IDWall says

It worked for me too. Now let’s see how long it takes Apple to fix the problem so I can use ICloud again.

17. Sheila says

Thank you so much…fixed my problem…it was driving me crazy! I hope apple addresses this problem.

18. Rohit Ramchandani says

you sir, have removed all my frustations!! i was so mad i was abt to do a full restore.
    Coming bak to solution, its interesting to note that only disabling the ‘Whatsapp’ data under Documents & Data solved the issue! So it might be an issue with Whatsapp and not ios after all!
    Well im not sure if all the users above had whatsapp installed or not, but a BIG thanks anyway to you :)

19. Jody says

I have a different keyboard problem. I have a 4s with IOS 7. If I go to Contacts hitting he contacts icon, and then go to the search bar, the keyboard comes up as it should so I can type into the search bar to find a contact. BUT, if I go to Phone, and then Contacts at the bottom of the page, when I tap the search bar, THE KEYBOARD DOES NOT COME UP, and I can’t do a search of my contacts from here.

Is anyone else having this problem, and are there any fixes?

20. Ken Payson says

OMG – thank you so much. I was in the middle of downloading the software to go back to ios6 on my 4s
    . This is always apple’s way of getting us to upgrade to the new phone sooner rather than later. but now I can wait till later.

21. Jay says

Hi, I am having issues now with my Whatsapp after downloading IOS 7. Mid conversation the bar to type anything dissapears and just the letters show :s. I am using an iphone 4s 16gb?

22. Ian_In_Napa says

JUst tried replying to an email and the keyboard shos up but there are no characters listed…then…got the characters back but nothing listed on the screen as I typed. Not lag, but white text on white background…very strange…just reboot the phone…iOS 7 on 4S

23. Amit mathur says

Amazing it works. Apple have no official answer till now to fix this issue.its people like you who are helping to sort out Apple issues. Apple has gone from bad to worst after google maps faisco

24. Tara says

Oh thank you for the lag fix!! I was going to be headed to take my phone in tomorrow and don’t need to now!! :)

25. Brittany says

Thank you on the advice to fix the keyboard issue however I cannot do any of this because I can’t type in my passwords!! I can’t use the top row on any keyboard or numbers! Please someone help I am about ready to throw my iPhone 4S at the wall. Thank you.

26. mary says

Thanks so much. ATT&T instructed me to call 800 number to Apple, make appointment then drive two hours away to fix my iPhone. I truly appreciate the help. You rock :)

27. Steve says

ha ha…. have just taken my wife’s ipad out the rubbish bin as it was the wrong time of the month to have a lagging ipad!!!! thank you so much, shes now calmed down :)

28. Morgan says

Thank you so much!! My iPad mini has been doing this ever since I updated and this has fixed the problem. Huge help!

29. David says

Hi, I found a solution (it still working at least), You have to disable Icloud. Completely, e-mail, contacts, calendars, etc. except Find my Ipad/IPhone/IPod. Before this, I tried disabling just documents and Data, but didn’t work. In my case, the problem was that virtual keyboard stopped to work when I tried to insert a letter (or any character)into a word. The problema now is I can’t use Icloud again because, when I try to turn it on, the problem appears again. I will try again in a couple of days, maybe Apple fix this.

30. Gene says

The lag was really bad on my 4. The reset on the settings took care of it for now. Thank you!!!’

31. Carolyn says

Thanks, worked really well on my 4. It was a mess! I could type whole sentences and none of the letters showed up for 30 seconds.

32. Lily says

My gosh thank you so much! Iphone 4 was about to downgrade and frustrated, saved by you! Icloud-connection n data turn off works well! Only still lagging while typing on safari, but much better now

33. Lisa says

Seriously I love you!! I was getting so fed up and you totally saved the day! Works perfectly :)

34. Mihail says

Great! Finally the problem was solved , Thank you. I was so close to throw the phone against the wall. That lag just makes me go crazy!!!! Also, after I close ICloud (docs and data) it seem the battery life is getting better. (iphone 4S ios 7)

35. Frances says

Thank you so much…after two long phone calls to O2 and being told it was a fault with my phone…you have fixed it!

36. Brandon says

Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!

37. Bree says

oh my gosh! thank you so much for this information! I have been going nuts for the past 12 hours ! I tried everything except the reset option ( to hesitant ) but this did the trick!

38. Brent says

Open settings, general, accessibility, increase contrast “ON” this should perfectly work for sure.:)

39. Dan K says

Wow–thank you! This not only fixed my keyboard, but it also enabled my foreign language apps to work.

40. sad panda says

This only worked the first time, unfortunately the problem still keeps happening. I’ve repeated it several time. Is there going to be a proper fix soon?

41. Chris says

For me since I updated to iOS 7.1 the problem is Google Contacts. If I go to Settings-> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> select my gmail account and toggle OFF contacts the keyboard lag goes away. If I go back in and toggle Contacts ON then the lag comes back.