iOS 7 has been out for a few days now, and many iPhone and iPad users have already updated to the latest version, spawning a heap of questions about the new look and layout. While many of the features remain the same, Apple changed some things around that aren’t quite apparent to those who are new to iOS 7.
Because of that, we have a bank of how-tos to help you out, and this time around, we’ll show you how to reset your iPhone or iPad in iOS 7, whether it means you’re selling your device or want to start with a clean slate.
How to Reset Your iOS 7 Device
To reset settings and erase all the data on your iPhone or iPad, open up the Settings app and navigate to General > Reset. There are six options to choose from, as you’ll see:
- Reset All Settings: This resets all of your device’s settings, but keeps all of your media, files, etc.
- Erase All Content and Settings: This is the option to choose if you want to completely wipe everything off of your iPhone or iPad.
- Reset Network Settings: This keeps all of your content and settings intact, except for network settings, like WiFi. This can be good to do if you’re having issues with WiFi and such.
- Reset Keyboard Dictionary: After using iMessage for a while, your device builds up a dictionary of frequently-used words and possibly abbreviations that you use often as well. Resetting this will erase all of these banked words.
- Reset Home Screen Layout: Resetting your home screen layout keeps all of your apps, but it resets the home screen back to its original layout with all of the stock apps on the first home screen.
- Reset Location & Privacy: If you haven’t already turned off privacy toggles and adjusted location settings to save on battery (and to keep companies from tracking you), then you should get on that. However, if you need to reset these settings, you can do that here.
Once you select any of these settings, you’ll be prompted to enter in your passcode (if you have one enabled), and then you’ll be given one final warning making sure that you want to reset settings or completely wipe your phone.