Clicky

How to Disable Lock Screen on Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy S4

By  |  28 Comments

All new Android smartphones and tablets come with some form of security when it comes to the initial lock screen when you first wake up or turn on a device. The slide-to-unlock method is the most popular, not to mention the pattern unlock shown below. And while many love these features not everyone wants a lock on their device.

From setting a custom pin, pattern, password, or even facial recognition these can be very secure, but also in the way, and frustrating for many users. If you’re one of the many that wants to just tap the power button and instantly use your phone without any lock screen of any kind, read on for a quick guide on how to disable it. Most notably on the popular new Samsung Galaxy S4 or the larger Note 3.

Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 11.30.10 AM

The instructions you’ll fine below to completely disable the lock screen on your Galaxy S4 or Note 3 are extremely simple, and is nearly the same for almost all other Android devices. While some manufacturers change the settings or interface to some degree, the same general location and instructions can usually be applied.

How to Disable Your Lock Screen

To start, you’re going to need to locate the menu button on your device. Which for the Galaxy S4 and Note 3 is the capacitive touch button to the left of the hardware home button in the middle of the device. Tap menu, and then head into system settings. This can also be done from the “gear” shaped settings button in the notification pulldown bar, or with the same icon found in your app tray.

For those wanting a visual explanation the image below has numbered each main step you’ll need to disable the lock screen on your smartphone. The Galaxy Note 3 settings look slightly different, but the same “My Device” tab at the top will quickly get you into the options for lock screen. From here you simply select screen lock, and choose the method of your choice. You’ll also see a quick list of instructions details below.

Menu > System Settings > My Device Tab > Lock Screen > Screen Lock > and select the last option “None”

instructions

It’s also worth noting that in the middle of the image above is “Secured lock time” which will let you select how long before the screen is locked. If you still want a lock screen method for some level of security, but don’t want to use it every single time you wake your phone. You can set it to only ask for a pin (or unlock method) after a certain amount of time. Here we have 10 minutes. So only after 10 minutes of inactivity will the lock method activate. This removes the lock when you’re constantly using your phone, but will still give you security when you leave the device sitting around.

Should You Disable This Feature?

As with most settings and options on a device, this completely depends on the users specific needs. Some might want or even need the security of a lock screen, while others find it a nuisance. However, with smartphones and tablets becoming more and more a part of our daily lives, not to mention having access to Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Banking apps and more, some level of security would be a good idea.

If you’re using a company device, this is likely a requirement, but for general peace of mind we’d recommend at least the PIN method to provide some level of protection and security.

28 Comments

1. Jerry Strickland

10/13/2013 at 1:44 pm

Great tip!
    I have been wanting to disable the lock screen and didn’t think it was an option.
    BTW do you know if the confirm screens can be disabled? So when you want to delete an email or picture you won’t be asked to confirm.

• cactac

10/14/2013 at 5:52 am

Hahaha that is so funny you were thinking ” it was an option”
      Not all the things can be disabled. You need to mention details here because it works on some particular applications.

• Cory Gunther

10/14/2013 at 9:16 am

Thanks Jerry. Which confirm screens are you talking about here? All in general, or just for emails and such. I know Gmail has an option to delete without confirmation, but this setting will be app-specific.

2. "Mr Lucky"

10/14/2013 at 5:40 am

Why I wouldn’t want my phone lock so if I misplace,lost or stolen
    Accessing my phone won’t be so easy.

3. Joe Sellers

10/14/2013 at 11:55 am

What sucks is if you use a lock screen pin you can’t use shortcut widgets or access the camera or notes on the lock screen like you can with the swipe unlock method.

4. max

10/15/2013 at 10:30 am

i m totally agree with Joe Sellers. im stuck i can’t disable my lock screen that i use with pin

5. max

10/15/2013 at 10:32 am

nver mind i find it how to do it ,

6. Mohamed Rashed

10/26/2013 at 6:51 am

I went through these steps but I could not disable screen lock because the only active option is Password. The rest of the options are dim (inactive). The last option “None” is inactive as well.
    Is there another way to disable screen lock in this condition?
    Someone told me you can only do it by resetting the phone but this will erase all downloaded applications. Is there an easy way without having to lose my applications?
    I will appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks

• Mohamed Rashed

10/26/2013 at 11:15 am

In brief, I cannot disable screen lock following the above steps.
      Is there another easy way to disable screen lock or do I have to start from scratch reinstalling everything?

• George

11/02/2013 at 5:33 am

Mohamed, I had the same problem. Did u figure out anything?

• Sharon

11/24/2013 at 1:04 pm

Go ahead & follow those steps. Settings>> My Device>> Lock Screen>> Screen Lock. It asks for your pin. Put it in, and THEN you will have the option to switch back to swipe.

• Real Honest

12/09/2013 at 11:03 am

Your problem might be that you need to disable Encrypt external SD card. Go to security, then select Encrypt External SD card, if it says SD card encryption has been turned on then there should be an option at the bottom left that says ” Turn off” , select that, after you will need to enter your password. The screen then should show the option to Turn off SD card encryption. Just select “Apply”. Wait a few moments for it to apply it then go to lock screen like usual and enter your password, then select “none”. Hope this helps!

7. John Ferguson

11/02/2013 at 12:10 pm

My other Options for Lockscreen are greyed out. The None and Swipe options are grayed out.
    Message says, Turned off administrator, encryption policy or, credential storage. HUH?

• Real Honest

12/09/2013 at 11:07 am

8. Lucille Borella

11/09/2013 at 7:07 am

Same here. Once I enabled the pattern password on my G S4 to try it out, it no longer gives me any options to change it back.

9. Johnlaw

12/02/2013 at 9:26 pm

Same thing on my S4.

10. Verna

12/13/2013 at 8:33 am

I have the same issue on my G3. I recently was forced to do a system upgrade, and now I no longer have the option to change my lock screen. I had it set to pattern, and wanted to change it to swipe. I no longer have the option to pick how I want my lock screen. Any help would be appreciated!

11. Ashley

12/26/2013 at 6:57 pm

I tried your suggestion to turn off sd card encryption. But mine is showing it’s already off.. :(

12. steven

12/28/2013 at 7:57 am

I am having the same issue with my Note 3.. I want to turn off my screen lock and I can not do so… I have read all the suggestions I’m the previous post and I am still unable to do so… any other suggestions on possibly resolving this situation would be highly appreciated. ..

13. Matt Fisher (@MattFisher515)

12/29/2013 at 11:29 am

I cleared all of my certificates and it fixed the problem.

• ditta

01/06/2014 at 10:06 am

Settings
      Device
      Luck Screen
      Screen Luck
      Swipe

14. Andy

12/31/2013 at 2:21 pm

Ditto. Clear credentials or certificates. Then swipe can be enabled.

15. AsimS

02/01/2014 at 3:22 am

yess absolutely right …great it works. After Clearing certificates it is fixed.Thanks

16. wohb islam

02/07/2014 at 1:36 am

I have s4.my issue.i am not removing pettern lock.
    Setting..my device,lock screen…but there was already unclickble ..none option…ply any one help me.

17. Dom

02/21/2014 at 3:22 am

On my unit CLEAR CREDENTIALS is ‘greyed out’

18. Wasif

03/23/2014 at 5:48 am

I cant disable the lock screen that has pin on my galaxy note 3

19. deb

04/18/2014 at 5:15 pm

It worked!!!!!!

20. Natty Bee (@TheNattyBee)

04/19/2014 at 2:44 pm

I had a password set, and now it won’t let me go back to swipe or none